Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: howto: Belkin F7D1101 with RTL8192SU from staging

Beans

Re: howto: Belkin F7D1101 with RTL8192SU from staging

Thank you, worked perfectly after I changed, all instances of 945 to 845...never was a fan of ndiswrapper because it seems counter intuitive to wrap Windows drivers and run them on a Linux box, just my $.02!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have done this on Ubuntu Studio 10.10 32-bit AMD64 to no avail. I've also do the work around posted here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=12

This is beyond frustrating, just makes me wonder why you don't just install all the Studio software onto a regular Ubuntu install.

That and now the OS isn't even booting. It gets to GRUB, I select it and the screen just stays blank. Ugh!

Beans

Thank you SO much for this. I know Linux pretty well, but I couldn't get this to work, or find anything else that could help me. But this, this was excellent. Thank you very much.

Beans

THANK YOU! Im new to Ubuntu and I've spent several hours trying to get this Belkin USB to work. After following your steps everything worked on the first try.

Beans

Ok I'm really banging my head against a wall here. So I followed your guide and it will now show that I have a wireless option. It will not show what networks are in the area. I try to enter the network name and password manually and it immediately just says not connected. Also the green light still won't light up. Please help me. This is driving me nuts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bo0ddha View Post
    Ok I'm really banging my head against a wall here. So I followed your guide and it will now show that I have a wireless option. It will not show what networks are in the area. I try to enter the network name and password manually and it immediately just says not connected. Also the green light still won't light up. Please help me. This is driving me nuts.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...pper#autostart is a long way to do it.

If you want install NDISgtk from Synaptic, go into your folders on the Drive CD til you find the folder and drag and drop the driver into NDISgtk. It should work instantly.

Beans

Well I was unable to get it working on 10.10. Reinstalled with 10.04 and worked right away. Broken on 10.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: howto: Belkin F7D1101 with RTL8192SU from staging

Thanks a million! Works great and gets a great signal

Thanks again,
    A~
    Ubuntu...set your computer free!
    Linux User: 216754
    Alabama

Beans

I'm having problem here with ubuntu 10.10 AMD64.
    Everything works fine for some minutes (5-10)...than the connection falls down.
    I remove the usb pen and re-insert it and it works for others 5-10 minutes...than the connection falls down again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I got this to work beautifully on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system but I did have some frustrations and I'm offering these warnings:

I first tried on another system Sony Viao (VGN-FZ283BN) that has build in wifi. When I rebooted and logged in, I could launch nothing, could not even shutdown. So I rebooted with wifi shut off (switch on front of laptop) and Belkin removed and I once again had control. I could see that the Belkin driver was there, but when I turn the Viao wifi card on again, it seemed as if sudo commands would not work on the command line. I commented out lines that instructions had me add and rebooted and everything seems to be fine again.

The computer that this worked for me on is a desktop that does not have built in wireless.

Next step, I'm going to upgrade the desktop to 10.10 and see how things go...

Also, this Belkin was the cheapest wireless USB device at the BestBuy, seems like this should be built into the distro, its bound to be popular based on price alone. If I was smart enough I would do what I could to make this the case, but alas, I know little on how to contribute such changes.

UPDATE 1: I have this working with 10.10 as well. Though there is one issue. When I run Virtual Box (V4.???) (Windows XP Guest) using Bridged Networking everything works fine, but when I close the guest session networking dies for the Ubuntu host and the machine needs to be rebooted to recover. Bridged Networking didn't work in V3.04(?) of Virtual Box with this dongle.

UPDATE 2: I've decided that the issue I had above was not due to VirtualBox, but instead that the card is just flaky and cuts out every once and a while. I've been able to run VirtualBox and quit and still have networking, and then just listening to Pandora the several times networking goes out. Rebooting fixes restores networking.

Jacob
    Last edited by Jacob Christ; January 25th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast