Thread: Nagios mail notification issue with Ubuntu server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Nagios mail notification issue with Ubuntu server

Hello all
    I have setup a new nagios server running on ubutu server 10 and every thing is running smoothly without any problem . I decided to make nagio server to send mails if any thing went wrong so i did the following steps :

1 .) configuring the postfix to act as a mail server with a smart host to be able to send mails through this host .. this step was successful as iam now able to send a messages through my nagios server using mail command and it delivered well

2 .) configure nagios commands.cfg to point to the new command for sending mails

3 .) configure contacts file to add my contacts including the mails

4 .) configure at the service definition and the host definition the contacts and the name of the contact

I think now every thing running fine ...

unfortunately

i didn't got any mails from nagios even there is no any event happened at the mail log indicates any type of message delivery ..

Any body can help about this and i would be thankful

Thanks in advance

Knowledge is belong to human

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nagios mail notification issue with Ubuntu server

Well, it is hard to say without any log-files showing what the problem could be. I would look into the nagios.log file to see is there maybe something odd.

-greg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I already did that bu i find the problem finally ,, the problem acually was i didn't install mailx program . any ways after installing it i starting receiving notifications by email ,, now iam working on the notification sending period ,, thanks for your response .
    Knowledge is belong to human

Beans

I feel your pain OP.

1. Check that you can send emails via terminal to your work account or gmail. You may run into issues like me where I can only send emails to gmail

2. One you've tested that emails are able to be sent from the box then double check all your confgs as I had a typo as well.

The biggest hurdle for me was getting emails out. once sendmail was re-installed it worked... just for gmail accounts.

let me know if that helps or if you need more direction as I'm a noob at this as well and could use a few pointers myself.