Thread: Default 'Live session user' password

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Default 'Live session user' password

I'm using 10.04 lucid lynx on a usb stick and it automatically logs in with that account. I wanted to change the account's settings, name ans password so that I can use it at login, but I don't know what the original password is to change it.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Owen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Default 'Live session user' password

isn't the pw blank by default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I recall that you used to be able to add accounts to a persistent disc image install but I haven't been able to do it lately.
    You can do a full install to flash drive which will take care of the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yeleek View Post
    isn't the pw blank by default?
    That's the actual live user password!

Thanks for that one
    Last edited by octaedro7; September 6th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Clevo m57ru / Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.50GHz / 4 gb Ram DDR2 667 MHz / Geforce m8800 GTX 521 mb DDR3 / 320 Gb SATA Toshiba 5400 rpm / 320 Gb eSATA2 Seagate 7200 rpm / 500 Gb Western Digital eSATA2 7200 rpm

Beans

Problem now is that the system doesn't allow to either change the live user password or delete the live user once you have created your own one.
    I haven't found info on how to accomplish either of them.

Any one here?

Thanks in advance
    Clevo m57ru / Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.50GHz / 4 gb Ram DDR2 667 MHz / Geforce m8800 GTX 521 mb DDR3 / 320 Gb SATA Toshiba 5400 rpm / 320 Gb eSATA2 Seagate 7200 rpm / 500 Gb Western Digital eSATA2 7200 rpm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Be careful what you do here ... I did change the password successfully and thought I had changed the username successfully.

But what I didn't realize is that the username that I had changed was some sort of pseudo username and I had inadvertently locked myself out of my USB stick until I figured out the default username is "ubuntu" LOL

Ok I'm not booted into my Lucid USB stick right now so I have to go by memory. There is a drop down menu under the administration options at the top and one of those features will allow you to add an "ask for password" option when it boots up. It is there that it will ask you to enter a password. And yes I think the previous password will be empty.

I'll tell you more once I boot up to my Ubuntu USB again. Might be a couple of days though so I hope someone else might flesh out my answer here. ... I'm currently trying to figure out another problem I'm having where I want to transfer everything from my one gig persistent image to a new four gig persistent image.
    ~ It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats. ~

BTW; I'm using Linux Mint (based on Precise) with MATE so modify Q/A accordingly if applicable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oven Glove View Post
    I'm using 10.04 lucid lynx on a usb stick and it automatically logs in with that account. I wanted to change the account's settings, name ans password
    That account is hardwired into the CD image, the simplest solution is to add a new user and set that to auto Login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by viralmeme View Post
    That account is hardwired into the CD image, the simplest solution is to add a new user and set that to auto Login
    That sounds pretty good, thank I'll try it.