Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C++ doesn't free deleted structs!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

C++ doesn't free deleted structs!

hi me and my friend are writing a program but now i found out that delete doesn't work properly in ubuntu for my program but works correctly in windows.
    here is a sample code it take 600mb ram and in windows return it to OS but in ubuntu it just reduce from 600mb to 530mb!
    i use gcc 4.4.3

Code:
    struct node {
        vector<int> boardPieces;
        vector<node*> childs;
        // int turn;
        // int cappd;
        int black_no;
        int white_no;
        bool opened;
        string move;
        int eval;
    }
    int main(){
     int i;
        node *a;
        node *nodd = new node;
        for(i=0;i<10000;i++)for(int j=0;j<1000;j++){a=new node;nodd->childs.push_back(a);}
         cout << "done";
         cin >>i;

for(i=0;i<10000000;i++){delete nodd->childs[i];}

cout << "done";
        cin >> i;
    return 0;
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: C++ doesn't free deleted structs!

This is no bug. It's just that Linux works differently here as there's normally also per-process memory management and there's no necessity for the process to return unused memory to the kernel immediately. Perhaps someone else know more on this.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
    This is no bug. It's just that Linux works differently here as there's normally also per-process memory management and there's no necessity for the process to return unused memory to the kernel immediately. Perhaps someone else know more on this.
    it's good to know that but i want to know if my program has any memory leaks or something because this structure will create a huge tree and deleting it may cause memory leaks.
    so is there anyway that i can make my process return memory as i call delete?

Beans

Well I'm not very familiar with C++ vectors but if you are using them correctly, then there should be no problem with freeing memory that you allocate.

Zugzwang is correct; the Linux kernel has an aggressive tendency to do what is called "caching memory". Linux, unlike Windows, recognizes a very important fact about RAM: there's no point in having it if you aren't using it. Take for example, this server (which has been running for 28 days):

Code:
    $ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          1883       1826         57          0        172       1438
    -/+ buffers/cache:        215       1668
    Swap:         3775          0       3775
    # free memory, in Megabytes (-m)
    Almost all of this server's memory has been set aside, but as you can see, almost all of that is cached memory (with a small amount of free memory kept by the kernel in case a program requests it quickly). In other words, the kernel is in no hurry to reclaim memory pages back from a process, especially since it sounds like your program will probably just ask for them to be allocated again.

Whenever your system is low on memory and needs to set aside more pages, the kernel will automatically drop (or flush) the cached pages that haven't been used for the longest amount of time (incurring a small overhead while it combs through your memory doing so) and then allocates the memory for you.

In really low memory situations, you'll start swapping pages onto the disk.

http://egloo.wordpress.com/2008/10/2...cached-memory/

P.S. If you want to know if you have real memory leaks, then I suggest compiling with the debugging flag on (-g) and running your program with Valgrind, an exceptional tool for detecting leaks.
    Last edited by soltanis; June 29th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You're worried about something that is really a non-issue. If you take care of managing your applications allocated memory in a proper manner, you will have nothing to worry about. Whether you allocate 10 items or 10 million, you still manage the memory in the same fashion, do you not?

Consider using boost's smart-pointers (or even C++'s tr1 smart-pointers), if you want to avoid having to rely on 'delete'.

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the answers i think i dont have memory leaks
    i just add some line to my code to reallocate that memory again and i after that my uses memory for this program was still 500mb.
    it's good to know linux has thins like that!
    i think my program will run faster in linux than windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

use valgrind on your program, it will tell you if you have a (non-logical) memory leak or not (as long as it is encountered in the execution path).

Beans

node *a;

for(i=0;i<10000;i++)for(int j=0;j<1000;j++){a=new node;nodd->childs.push_back(a);}

i and j loops make no sense, you are losing 9999*1000 nodes because you are assigning childs all over without deleting first
    i<1 would do it I guess

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sockerdrickan View Post
    i and j loops make no sense, you are losing 9999*1000 nodes because you are assigning childs all over without deleting first
    i<1 would do it I guess
    He's pushing them onto the vector, not overwriting them. A weird way of doing it, but I guess it works.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schauerlich View Post
    He's pushing them onto the vector, not overwriting them. A weird way of doing it, but I guess it works.
    This code makes my insides twist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast