Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will cloud computing replace our physical desktops?

Beans

Will cloud computing replace our physical desktops?

Please don't flame me for having an honest concern. After all I am a human like you, and Ubuntu forum is a place for human beings, much like the saying "Linux for Human beings" or I suppose anyway.

I am wondering, do you believe cloud computing will one day be our only solution for computing in the future and all we'll use are terminal-like machines to access all our data stored at 3rd party servers with no local hardware software computing and storage? I sure hope not.

What about gaming? Services like OnLive are cloud gaming solutions aiming to kill the consoles and PC gaming alike, and if the future of gaming is solely based on server-side and online environments, then looks like I'll jump ship on gaming all-together. That day will be a very dreadful day. I want to own what I pay 10-60 dollars for instead of relying on SaaS solutions for all my gaming needs.

Same with personal computing, I do not want to be at the mercy of corporate services for all my personal data and entertainment. I am all for co-existence between cloud computing and local computing. Facebook, Twitter and web-based email is definitely a co-existance. But for me, local computing or bust. I will NOT entrust a corporation to store all my data over using my own hardware. I am sure others will agree.

Your thoughts?

Sources:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2343703,00.asp
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/2960816/VD...ktop-Computing
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime..._Nintendo.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Will cloud computing replace our physical desktops?

I'd bet that an appreciable chunk of the population will choose to go that route, but personal computers will never go away. It's mainly going to be aimed at people who just use the computer for simple things like word processing and internet browsing as well as those who travel a great deal and want data to be available wherever they may be.

Even assuming internet and processor speed make it reasonable, as an extreme example, for people to play video games run on a central server, there are always going to be tech nuts who want to code, build, host their own servers, etc. And of course, there are people who are high on the paranoia spectrum who will be concerned that government reverse vampires are intercepting their Hanna Montana/Star Trek slash fan fiction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

with everyone on 5mb+ connections, who knows

and ChromeOS will be pushing it earlier

microsoft is kinda worried about cloud computing killing the windows monopoly, but also embracing it because it means the end of piracy on their products, which could mean better earnings in the long shot

Competition will have a better chance in the cloud too.

and with onlive real time streaming, videogames will finally be what they were supposed to be "video" games
    Last edited by madjr; June 29th, 2010 at 03:31 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

no
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    with everyone on 5mb+ connections, who knows

and ChromeOS will be pushing it earlier

microsoft is kinda worried about cloud computing killing the windows monopoly, but also embracing it because it means the end of piracy on their products, which could mean better earnings in the long shot

Competition will have a better chance in the cloud too.
    Isn't ChromeOS aimed for Netbooks, rather than desktops and notebook hardware? Netbooks alone are aimed for a completely different niche than say higher end hardware owners. The small space in the SSDs are simply too little for file hogs that use desktops and notebooks. Lugging an external HDD can defeat the purpose of the netbook's mobility, so a cloud is a better solution for mobility. But for the more hardcore users, cloud computing can be useful for backups, syncing to other machines, and sharing, but being forced to using it for everything would be their worst nightmare.

Not to mention you'll pay yet another bill to use it should your cloud computing be a significance in power, vs. buying hardware of your own and use that without being under the mercy of corporate greed.

@madjr, excellent points. I suppose the target audience for cloud computing for everything is for the casuals, which not all of us are casual computer users. I'm sure even some casual computer users prefer their own hardware. Just hope it doesn't cross this line.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There will be two groups; I for one will remain firmly tethered
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

Found this article.
    http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2010/0...-cloud-gaming/

If more companies follow suit, it's the future, unfortunately...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Developer Microsoft Website Official website

VS

VS

[IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Will be very interesting!
    Last edited by ubunterooster; June 29th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't think 'cloud computing' can kill desktops. There have been attempts to kill the desktop - remember 'thin client'? Remember the whole business started with mainframes and dumb terminals?

These decisions are made by ordinary folks who plonk down their hard-earned cash for computers (thank God), not by a single solitary System Architect, for whom control is the ultimate objective. The ordinary folks decide if they want one monolithic set of applications or a set of competing ones.

Long live fat client!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Nope
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast