Thread: What happened to Firefox rolling release ?

Beans

What happened to Firefox rolling release ?

Hi.

I was under the impression that Ubuntu was moving to a rolling release structure - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ne/000719.html

I personally love the rolling release method - as well as Ubuntu I run arch - Arch has next to no issues ever - in fact it is always with Ubuntu I will have to search the internet for various issues - i.e sound, SDL gamma, etc ...

Is that still happening ?

I ask as 3.6.4 has already been missed - the latest stable is 3.6.6.

It is completely mad that it is easier to keep with the latest updates of FOSS software on Windows than on Ubuntu (Arch is good for releasing the latest fireofx (and others) update the second it is released)

I know of people who have reverted back to winshite after trying Ubuntu purely as it is easier to get the latest Firefox..

Beans

Re: What happened to Firefox rolling release ?

Hi,
    I was wondering, why I there is no automatic firefox update withing ubuntu. everything else gets updated, didn't it?
    regards
    gabriel noob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you want near-immediate Firefox updates, adding "ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa" to your Software Sources should do the trick.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...y/+archive/ppa

3.6.4 came out only a week ago. They skipped over 3.6.5, and 3.6.6 only increases the default unresponsive plugin timeout to satisfy a bunch of Farmville users. I haven't used Farmville, but apparently it freezes many browsers for over 10 seconds on load, and everyone's fine with that, but they're not fine with their browser alerting them to that fact.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dtfinch View Post
    If you want near-immediate Firefox updates, adding "ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa" to your Software Sources should do the trick.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa

3.6.4 came out only a week ago. They skipped over 3.6.5, and 3.6.6 only increases the default unresponsive plugin timeout to satisfy a bunch of Farmville users. I haven't used Farmville, but apparently it freezes many browsers for over 10 seconds on load, and everyone's fine with that, but they're not fine with their browser alerting them to that fact.
    thanks for your answer
    I have 3.0.19 and ubuntu 9.04 ... that seems older than just "not recent"...?

Beans

Hey dtfinch - thanks for your advice - I'll add the repo.

Does anyone know is firefox 3.6.6 is going to be released in the normal updates also ?

Cheers everybody.

I am really liking lucid btw - although Arch is still my main system I do like the fact that 'most' things just work with ubuntu - the new theme makes it look so much better (not sure about the left menu placement though...)

Beans

3.6.6 is now out in standard updates.