Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by VVAW View Post
    bcbc
    I am in need of Help I have a install that I can't boot into this has been a ongoing on/off issue. I am at the point were I would like to have my root.disk installed onto another HD and no more dual boot wubi..

Can I run a live cd and attach another hardrive and do this.
    Please help I am not the greatest in linux. I have been using ubuntu for studies and need my work back
    Yes you can migrate from a root.disk. The instructions shown here are for someone who wants to replace windows, but they're good for migrating a root.disk from a live CD to any partition: http://askubuntu.com/a/93963/14916

However, if you're having problems booting or root.disk corruption (which I noticed from your other thread) then you could have issues depending on what the problem is.

Beans

yes I am issues booting up. I tried everything but keeping getting a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner. I don't want to loose all that work. So I am desperate. I keep doing chkdsk /r and trying what ever I can to boot up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yes I am issues booting up. I tried everything but keeping getting a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner. I don't want to loose all that work. So I am desperate. I keep doing chkdsk /r and trying what ever I can to boot up
    Please run the bootinfoscript and post the results. See if you can mount the root.disk and if not, fsck it.

Try editing the grub menu entry (hit E) remove 'quiet splash' and see where it halts.

These are just a few ideas. Sometimes corruption occurs on the internal ext4 filesystem with Wubi, and sometimes on ntfs. If it's internal, then running chkdsk won't help.

Beans

Sorry for the delay. Here is the results. I am not sure how to do the other tasks..

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
    /wubildr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /wubildr.mbr
    /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda1/Wubi: __________________________________________________ ___________________

File system: ext4
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:
    Mounting failed: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:
    Boot files: /bootmgr /boot/bcd

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 609,008,084 609,008,022 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda2 609,008,085 625,137,344 16,129,260 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
    /dev/loop1 12420771-eb61-4a1c-9af3-27ebe1460869 ext4
    /dev/sda1 0CB68709B686F30E ntfs HP
    /dev/sda2 2C88743C8874071C ntfs Recovery

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdb sdc sdd sde

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry for the delay. Here is the results. I am not sure how to do the other tasks..

sda1/Wubi: __________________________________________________ ___________________

File system: ext4
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:
    Mounting failed: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    You need to fsck the root.disk:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    sudo fsck /mnt/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

Beans

how do I do run those commands with live cd or boot up
    and somehow issues those commands

those for your help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

how do I do run those commands with live cd or boot up
    and somehow issues those commands

those for your help
    Boot from the Ubuntu CD, select "Try Ubuntu". When you see the desktop, drop to a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T and run those commands I gave you.
    The first mounts the ntfs partition /dev/sda1
    The second runs fsck on the root.disk file residing on /dev/sda1 - to fix the internal ext4 file system within the file.

You can run also add the options -vy to fsck (v=verbose, y=fix without prompting) i.e. sudo fsck -vy /mnt/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

Beans

Thank you thank you thank you boot up

Now I need to figure out how to put this on a differnt hard drive and be done with wubi install

I am going to follow these instructions
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

thank you bcbc for the help.
    I just proceed without a swap. I don't really know what swap is actually.Now i have more problems. I still have the wubi installation in one separate drive so now i have two disk from the first wubi install (in saparate drive) and one from migration. How do I uninstalled my wubi ? I tried to uninstall from the control panel in windows but i got an error that say that the target is not found or something like that ( I don't remember ).
    In the beginning i install ubuntu from wubi and i happen to format the drive on which ubuntu was. So i install again and i got two ubuntu in the boot menu entries. I install easyBCD in windows to delete one entry ( as suggested by someone in google ). It work but now i uninstall easyBCD and tried to uninstall wubi but i got the error as describe before.How do I rmove my wubi ? shall i just format the drive ?
    Another problem is i got the normal boot menu and when i choose windows it shows me another boot menu to choose from. One is windows 7 and one is ubuntu which i guess the one through wubi.How do i fix this.
    thanks.
    Last edited by bariamtak; January 11th, 2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: wrong sentence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bariamtak View Post
    thank you bcbc for the help.
    I just proceed without a swap. I don't really know what swap is actually.Now i have more problems. I still have the wubi installation in one separate drive so now i have two disk from the first wubi install (in saparate drive) and one from migration. How do I uninstalled my wubi ? I tried to uninstall from the control panel in windows but i got an error that say that the target is not found or something like that ( I don't remember ).
    In the beginning i install ubuntu from wubi and i happen to format the drive on which ubuntu was. So i install again and i got two ubuntu in the boot menu entries. I install easyBCD in windows to delete one entry ( as suggested by someone in google ). It work but now i uninstall easyBCD and tried to uninstall wubi but i got the error as describe before.How do I rmove my wubi ? shall i just format the drive ?
    Another problem is i got the normal boot menu and when i choose windows it shows me another boot menu to choose from. One is windows 7 and one is ubuntu which i guess the one through wubi.How do i fix this.
    thanks.
    You can use either easybcd or bcdedit (Microsofts built in command line tool) to remove the Wubi Ubuntu entry from the Windows boot manager. For bcdedit, go to an administrator command prompt and enter: bcdedit
    This will output the windows boot manager entries. Note the {GUID} for Ubuntu and delete it with:
    Code:
    bcdedit /delete {GUID}
    Please also review how to manually remove Wubi which may be necessary if the automatic uninstall doesn't work.

Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast