Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Yay!

Mission accomplished! I'm typing from SDA5 as we speak... Everything seems to have worked perfectly.

You have my most sincere gratitude bcbc...

You are the man!

BTW, that's not you in there is it?

IC XC†
    NI KA†

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Duffy View Post
    Yay!

Mission accomplished! I'm typing from SDA5 as we speak... Everything seems to have worked perfectly.

You have my most sincere gratitude bcbc...

You are the man!
    Great to hear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Duffy View Post
    BTW, that's not you in there is it?
    Nah - I have more hair... although it does resemble the SABDFL.

Beans

bcbc i think you broke my ubuntu. it no longer boots up

I did step 1
    1a
    2 with /dev/sda1 instead of 5 because i think the empty partition was with 1
    3 (took a while)
    Skipped 4 because i have no clue what /dev/sda6 is
    5 i think it worked although terminal said something about "-i" being invalid or something like that, also skipped echo....with "/dev/sda6"

So after, i closed terminal, then did a reboot. Everything looks like usuall with windows xp menu, so i chose ubuntu and nothing. Only thing that showed was "Try (Hd0,0): EXT2" at top-left corner of the screen. And will not boot of course

Before it went like this. menu boots. I choose ubuntu. then second menu shows. second menu has some other ubuntu things and windows xp at the bottom. so i choose first ubuntu on the list.

I have no idea what i am doing Can you help?

(windows xp still works though)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleWater View Post
    bcbc i think you broke my ubuntu. it no longer boots up

I did step 1
    1a
    2 with /dev/sda1 instead of 5 because i think the empty partition was with 1
    3 (took a while)
    Skipped 4 because i have no clue what /dev/sda6 is
    5 i think it worked although terminal said something about "-i" being invalid or something like that, also skipped echo....with "/dev/sda6"

So after, i closed terminal, then did a reboot. Everything looks like usuall with windows xp menu, so i chose ubuntu and nothing. Only thing that showed was "Try (Hd0,0): EXT2" at top-left corner of the screen. And will not boot of course

Before it went like this. menu boots. I choose ubuntu. then second menu shows. second menu has some other ubuntu things and windows xp at the bottom. so i choose first ubuntu on the list.

I have no idea what i am doing Can you help?

(windows xp still works though)
    No... it should be OK

Yours isn't a typical setup. There is a problem with wubildr.mbr (grub4dos) that I became aware of recently - it gets stuck on ext4 file systems. That's because the version of grub4dos Wubi uses is from 2007 - before ext4.

Usually if you migrate you're migrating to a higher partition than your windows partition (so wubildr.mbr can find wubildr before encountering the ext4 partition) OR you're installing the grub2 bootloader. In your case, you didn't install the grub2 bootloader so wubi is trying to boot and getting hung up on /dev/sda1.

Fix... there are two options
    1. Boot a live CD and install the grub2 bootloader
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    Or (if you really don't want grub2 bootloader in place)
    2. Format /dev/sda1 to ntfs (then you'll be able to boot into your wubi again). Then migrate again but this time format /dev/sda1 as ext3.

I'll update the known issues to address this for other people.

If you are not sure, post the results of the bootinfoscript

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    No... it should be OK

Yours isn't a typical setup. There is a problem with wubildr.mbr (grub4dos) that I became aware of recently - it gets stuck on ext4 file systems. That's because the version of grub4dos Wubi uses is from 2007 - before ext4.

Usually if you migrate you're migrating to a higher partition than your windows partition (so wubildr.mbr can find wubildr before encountering the ext4 partition) OR you're installing the grub2 bootloader. In your case, you didn't install the grub2 bootloader so wubi is trying to boot and getting hung up on /dev/sda1.

Fix... there are two options
    1. Boot a live CD and install the grub2 bootloader
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    Or (if you really don't want grub2 bootloader in place)
    2. Format /dev/sda1 to ntfs (then you'll be able to boot into your wubi again). Then migrate again but this time format /dev/sda1 as ext3.

I'll update the known issues to address this for other people.

If you are not sure, post the results of the bootinfoscript
    ok so option 2 looks simple. but just to be clear, it has been formatted to ntfs from the beginning and still currently is. Do you want me to reformat to its current state? then try to boot ubuntu and after format to ext3? then restart migrate?

sorry if i'm being slow. but bootininfoscript only works for linux i think
    Last edited by SimpleWater; April 14th, 2011 at 03:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok so option 2 looks simple. but just to be clear, it has been formatted to ntfs from the beginning and still currently is. Do you want me to reformat to its current state? then try to boot ubuntu and after format to ext3? then restart migrate?

sorry if i'm being slow. but bootininfoscript only works for linux i think
    You said you migrated to /dev/sda1 i.e. you formatted it as ext4? I'm going based on what you told me. Also this tells me that /dev/sda1 is not formatted as NTFS (in grub4dos terminology (hd0,0) is /dev/sda1):
    Try (Hd0,0): EXT2
    If you intend to use Ubuntu you should get an Ubuntu CD/USB you can boot from. You would use this to boot in live CD/USB mode (i.e. Try without installing) and then run the bootinfoscript from the live environment. Follow the instructions here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Last edited by bcbc; April 14th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    You said you migrated to /dev/sda1 i.e. you formatted it as ext4? I'm going based on what you told me. Also this tells me that /dev/sda1 is not formatted as NTFS (in grub4dos terminology (hd0,0) is /dev/sda1):

If you intend to use Ubuntu you should get an Ubuntu CD/USB you can boot from. You would use this to boot in live CD/USB mode (i.e. Try without installing) and then run the bootinfoscript from the live environment. Follow the instructions here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    well i formatted to NTFS no difference also tried ext4 and same black screen with message.

i dont have a cd drive and booting from usb did not work i tried it unetbootin and pendrive and switched to hard disk priority in bios, any suggestions?

Edit: which is the reason i used wubi to install instead of normal because i could not get that usb method to work

but if you know how to get the usb trick to work then that would be great also
    Last edited by SimpleWater; April 14th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well i formatted to NTFS no difference also tried ext4 and same black screen with message.

i dont have a cd drive and booting from usb did not work i tried it unetbootin and pendrive and switched to hard disk priority in bios, any suggestions?

Edit: which is the reason i used wubi to install instead of normal because i could not get that usb method to work

but if you know how to get the usb trick to work then that would be great also
    Please boot windows, right click on My computer, Manage, Disk Management, and take a screenshot. Then output:
    dir c:\
    and then
    dir x:\ (where x: is the ntfs drive representing /dev/sda1)

We'll try and figure this out. Note also that there is a partition type as well as a file system type. It's possible that when you formatted /dev/sda1 to ext4 that you left the partition type as ntfs, so windows might be confused. In that case, ensure you've fully formatted and can access it to make sure there is no more ext4 file system present.

PS when I created an Ubuntu USB I just followed the instructions on www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Last edited by bcbc; April 14th, 2011 at 05:20 AM.

Beans

Ok here it is. note the drive is acting funky probably because of the format switch i would think. since it displays as unknown

the first command worked but the second "dir x:\" did not

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok here it is. note the drive is acting funky probably because of the format switch i would think. since it displays as unknown

the first command worked but the second "dir x:\" did not
    Do "dir D:\" instead.

Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast