Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by zooster View Post
    Ok, then I have to create manually logical partition inside extended sda4? Before to run the script?

And about the bootloader if I set option - no bootloader I'll still have wobi bootloader?
    Yes - this script does not delete/create/resize partitions. It just migrates wubi installs to existing empty partitions.

Yes using --no-bootloader will not install the grub bootloader. It will leave the windows bootloader in place. You can use the wubi grub menu to boot the new install temporarily - but this is not a good long term solution because you have to boot the wubi install to update the grub menu e.g. every time you get a kernel update on your migrated install.

If you are happy that the migration worked well, I recommend either installing the grub bootloader, or using an alternative method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Yes - this script does not delete/create/resize partitions. It just migrates wubi installs to existing empty partitions.

Yes using --no-bootloader will not install the grub bootloader. It will leave the windows bootloader in place. You can use the wubi grub menu to boot the new install temporarily - but this is not a good long term solution because you have to boot the wubi install to update the grub menu e.g. every time you get a kernel update on your migrated install.

If you are happy that the migration worked well, I recommend either installing the grub bootloader, or using an alternative method.
    But how can the old wubi bootloader point to new migrated partition? Does this script edit the wubi loader?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But how can the old wubi bootloader point to new migrated partition? Does this script edit the wubi loader?
    The wubi-move.sh script runs while you are booted in the wubi install. The last step updates the wubi grub menu, and adds the migrated install.

But after that, the wubi grub menu will never update unless you boot into it and do it manually, or take extraordinary measures (loop mount the root.disk and edit it yourself).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you man, but can you tell me pro and contra to use grub loader to boot w7 or ubuntu instead the windows one?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you man, but can you tell me pro and contra to use grub loader to boot w7 or ubuntu instead the windows one?
    That is something you'll want the broader community to answer, so I suggest you create a new thread.

Beans

bcbc

I'm ready to do this "migration". In Windows, I shrunk the partition and then added a new partition (sdev5 according to Linux, its called "New Volume"). I'm going to run your shell script but just a few questions.

bash wubi-move.sh
    Does this script unmounts and formats the new partition or do I have to do that before running this script? I only glanced at the script with so maybe the answers is within the script.

Then what happens to the Wubi in Windows? Does it still exist in Windows or do I have to remove it like removing an installed application?

Please excuse me if there's posts on this thread that already answered my questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rreyes3713 View Post
    bcbc

I'm ready to do this "migration". In Windows, I shrunk the partition and then added a new partition (sdev5 according to Linux, its called "New Volume"). I'm going to run your shell script but just a few questions.

bash wubi-move.sh
    Does this script unmounts and formats the new partition or do I have to do that before running this script? I only glanced at the script with so maybe the answers is within the script.

Then what happens to the Wubi in Windows? Does it still exist in Windows or do I have to remove it like removing an installed application?

Please excuse me if there's posts on this thread that already answered my questions.
    The script won't attempt to migrate to a mounted partition - it will tell you to unmount it first. It will format it with the ext4 filesystem (and this also removes the label).

The script is designed to do nothing to the wubi install - except update the wubi grub menu so you can boot the migrated install. The wubi will continue to exist until you uninstall it: Add/Remove programs, and select Ubuntu. Note, once you uninstall it's gone including all your data etc. so make sure the migration worked, and consider keeping a back up of your root.disk.

Before you migrate consider whether you want a swap partition (required if you want to enable hibernation). It's easier to get the partitions right before migrating than afterwards.

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Thanks bcbc
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    ... Before you migrate consider whether you want a swap partition (required if you want to enable hibernation). It's easier to get the partitions right before migrating than afterwards.
    I'm looking at your example for swap and you have
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6
    is dev/sda6 a virtual partition because I don't know if this exist when I check with my KDE Partition Manager.

What do you mean by "enable hibernation"? then you mentioned "swap must be as big as RAM to hibernate". I think my RAM is 4 Gig. Is this big enough.

Sorry if I'm dummy in terminology.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rreyes3713 View Post
    Thanks bcbc

I'm looking at your example for swap and you have
    is dev/sda6 a virtual partition because I don't know if this exist when I check with my KDE Partition Manager.

What do you mean by "enable hibernation"? then you mentioned "swap must be as big as RAM to hibernate". I think my RAM is 4 Gig. Is this big enough.

Sorry if I'm dummy in terminology.
    You have to create the partitions - they are not virtual. If you don't want a swap partition, you don't require it.

If you want to hibernate with 4GB ram you'll require at least a 4GB swap partition (some people say 1.5 x RAM i.e. 6GB, I'd guess 5GB is plenty). Hibernate means to save the current state but power off your computer - when you restart it will restore all the open programs, files etc. you were working on.

Note - hibernation is a bit of a mystery in Ubuntu - I've found no definitive rules on swap size, but I know with karmic I could hibernate with swap=ram, but with Lucid I needed a bigger swap.

Beans

thanks for your patient answering my questions bcbc. Now I have a better "feel and understanding" what I am doing (I think) [ lol ]

I'm gonna do it.

Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast