Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by alex2035 View Post
    I finally used your method and moved Wubi install of 11.10 to an ext4 partition on the same partition as Wubi install. I used the --no-bootloader option just in case.
    Now I dont know how to proceed, should I install Grub in the HD install? then update-grub? then deinstall Wubi from Win? or deinstall Wubi first, could I boot 11.10 HD then? I dont think so. you see, I am a bit confused here. thanks for your help.

By the way, HD install is little faster on boot as Wubi, but not a difference launching or using programs. Worth it? not sure, except for security reasons.
    First boot your migrated install. Then to install GRUB 2 to the sdX drive's MBR (sda, sdb, etc.)
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
    For most people that would be:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    This will replace the windows bootloader and the next time you boot, you'll see the grub menu first and have to select windows at the bottom of the list.

I think it's worth it to migrate from a reliability/stability point of view. Speed, security? maybe but it depends on how you use the OS and possibly your computer specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Finally did as you suggested, then managed to change Grub with grub-customizer, made Win as default and even put some nice boot splash. Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alex2035 View Post
    Finally did as you suggested, then managed to change Grub with grub-customizer, made Win as default and even put some nice boot splash. Thanks a lot.
    Great! You're welcome.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

hi bcbc,
    This is the first time for me here and I just want to say thank you for your awesome job. Got no problems migrating on my Acer Aspire 4750z. Feel much more smoother when running Ubuntu now. Hopefully the battery and power management issue will get fixed soon.

But again, thanks for this cool stuff. And I'm sorry for my crappy English, I'm from Indonesia..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aphrxia View Post
    hi bcbc,
    This is the first time for me here and I just want to say thank you for your awesome job. Got no problems migrating on my Acer Aspire 4750z. Feel much more smoother when running Ubuntu now. Hopefully the battery and power management issue will get fixed soon.

But again, thanks for this cool stuff. And I'm sorry for my crappy English, I'm from Indonesia..
    You're welcome

PS your English is great
    PPS The battery life in 12.04 should be much better (that's my experience anyway)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    You're welcome

PS your English is great
    PPS The battery life in 12.04 should be much better (that's my experience anyway)
    Well then can't wait to give 12.04 a test!

Beans

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but I haven't found it. I am moving ubuntu to separate partition. Since I'm noobish, I asked how to do it on linux SE. Guy there answered and referenced this thread to consult when deleting wubi install.

So I came here and followed the steps. But when I execute bash wubi-move to sda2 it says I cannot move it there because partition is not empty.

Am I doing something wrong? Why does the partition need to be empty?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ofca View Post
    Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but I haven't found it. I am moving ubuntu to separate partition. Since I'm noobish, I asked how to do it on linux SE. Guy there answered and referenced this thread to consult when deleting wubi install.

So I came here and followed the steps. But when I execute bash wubi-move to sda2 it says I cannot move it there because partition is not empty.

Am I doing something wrong? Why does the partition need to be empty?
    The partition needs to be empty because the migration script formats it. The script makes sure it's empty to prevent accidental data loss if the user has made a mistake e.g. chosen the wrong partition.

Make sure you're using the lastest version of the script - it is required for the latest version of Ubuntu. That script would also have complained about the fact that /dev/sda2 is an NTFS partition. Make it ext4 instead.
    If you want to hibernate, also create a swap partition that is the size of your RAM + 500MB, let's assume /dev/sda3.

Then you'd boot your Wubi install (which is on /dev/sda1) and migrate using:
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3
    This will migrate the wubi to /dev/sda2, setup your swap on /dev/sda3, and replace the windows bootloader on /dev/sda with Grub2.

Let me know if you have any questions or the information on that link isn't valid anymore (I used that to determine the details of the above).

EDIT: just saw you commented on that thread that you uninstalled Wubi. So scratch the above. Once you uninstall, the root.disk is deleted and migration is no longer possible. Hopefully the manual method you used worked out okay.
    Last edited by bcbc; March 27th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Beans

Ok, I tried the move. Started to go well, and came back to the computer and saw this:

Code:
    amy@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6

wubi-move-2.1.sh: Would you like the grub2 bootloader to be installed
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: to drive /dev/sda? If you choose not to, you will
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: still be able to boot your migrated install from
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: your current install.
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Install grub bootloader to /dev/sda? (Y/N)
    y
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Please close all open files before continuing.
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: About to format the target partition (/dev/sda5).
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Proceed with format (Y/N)
    y
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Formatting /dev/sda5 with ext4 file system

wubi-move-2.1.sh: Copying files - please be patient - this takes some time
    file has vanished: "/home/amy/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-94626600-ec2d-4154-a9ce-9f1b0d594187-8d6a8153.log"
    rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.8]

wubi-move-2.1.sh: Copying files failed - user canceled?
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Unmounting target...
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Migration request canceled
    amy@ubuntu:~/Downloads$
    On the restart, the move was not completed, I still get the 'wubi boot selector' and my new install does not appear in the list. In a quick look at my file system, compared to the working wubi version, there are some folders empy, sys for example, and some that do not contain the same number of files as the working system, so I am assuming this stopped for some reason.
    Is there a fix for me?

Thanks,
    Josh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jpav View Post
    Ok, I tried the move. Started to go well, and came back to the computer and saw this:
    On the restart, the move was not completed, I still get the 'wubi boot selector' and my new install does not appear in the list. In a quick look at my file system, compared to the working wubi version, there are some folders empy, sys for example, and some that do not contain the same number of files as the working system, so I am assuming this stopped for some reason.
    Is there a fix for me?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Rsync issued return code 24 when copying the files. This means that some files 'vanished' during the copy. Either because you or a background process was working during the migration.

This return code isn't really a problem; it basically means that rsync identified some files to copy and when it got to one of them it was no longer there. Most of the time they seem to be cache files.
    However, the script is a little too strict - it looks for a return code of 0, or it fails.

If the failure was due to something you were doing while the script was running, then the easiest plan is to rerun the script. In order to do this you'll have to empty the partition first (either delete all the files or format it using gparted). This is because the script requires that the partition is empty to prevent accidental data loss if a user selects the incorrect partition.

If you think it's some background process that caused it, rerunning may be an exercise in frustration. In that case, you'd do better to wait a few weeks before retrying: I've got to release a new version of the script for Ubuntu 12.04 that comes out in 28 days. And this new version will add a --resume option to pick up from a migration that failed with copying errors, without having to recopy all the files; it will also ignore return code 24.

Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast