Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

bcbc
    EDIT

From my current Harddrive can I just remove windows and have Ubuntu the only OS.

Or how can I install root.disk onto a new harddrive without windows or dualboot of any kind

Everytime I reboot my pc I have boot back into a live cd and mount the drive that boot up.

I am done with windows on this Harddrive

Please let me know thank you
    Last edited by VVAW; January 11th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes you can migrate from a root.disk. See here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/93954...wubi-migration

You can also migrate to another hard drive (e.g. an external drive) from the Wubi install, which is a lot simpler.
    1. boot Wubi
    2. plug in external drive, create partition(s) e.g. /dev/sdb1 for root and /dev/sdb5 for swap
    3. migrate
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb5
    The script will only install the Grub2 bootloader on the target drive i.e. /dev/sdb in this case. So /dev/sda is left untouched.

Note that this script moves normal installs around as well. (So you can migrate to an external, and then migrate from there somewhere else, while at each step being able to confirm the migrated install works correctly before removing the source).

Beans

I'm interested in trying this now but I just want to make sure these steps would work

I found this video and creating the partition looks really easy from the way he did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mePKIcafq4

If I follow the steps in that video to create the partition, do I just boot back into Wubi and then use the automated migration scripts? How will it know which newly made drive to install Ubuntu on to? And how do I know whether to use either:

"To migrate to /dev/sda5 without swap"

or

"To migrate to /dev/sda5 with swap on /dev/sda6"

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coldjeanz View Post
    I'm interested in trying this now but I just want to make sure these steps would work

I found this video and creating the partition looks really easy from the way he did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mePKIcafq4

If I follow the steps in that video to create the partition, do I just boot back into Wubi and then use the automated migration scripts? How will it know which newly made drive to install Ubuntu on to? And how do I know whether to use either:

"To migrate to /dev/sda5 without swap"

or

"To migrate to /dev/sda5 with swap on /dev/sda6"

Thank you
    That tutorial shows how to shrink a partition using vista/win7. But it creates a single primary partition in the space and formats it as ntfs. What you want to do is shrink the partition and leave it as free space.
    Then you can boot an Ubuntu CD/USB - select "Try Ubuntu" - and run GParted and create an extended partition in that space and then 2 logical partitions. One for Ubuntu (format it as ext4) and one for a swap partition (that is > than the size of your RAM; so you can hibernate).

By default these two logical partitions will be /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 so you can migrate using that command shown on post #1.

There is a partitioning guide I linked to in post #1 as well that is pretty good, so check that out.

You should just make sure you don't have 4 primary partitions already (some computers come with this, and you can't create the extended partition in this case). Also, there's always a small risk with partitioning so make sure you backup first and create a windows repair cd and restore disks if you don't have them already.

Beans

i migrated all the files from the above mentioned wubi-move script...now is it safe to remove wubi installed files in windows partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thinkfreedom View Post
    i migrated all the files from the above mentioned wubi-move script...now is it safe to remove wubi installed files in windows partition?
    If you did the 'default' migration, you installed the Grub bootloader, and the first menu you see when booting is the Grub Menu, with your migrated Ubuntu as the first option. If that's what you've done, then yes it's safe to remove the Wubi install.

If you're still booting through Windows - the Windows Boot Manager is the first menu you see with Windows (1st) and Ubuntu (2nd) then no, you will have to boot the migrated install and install grub before you remove Wubi.

If you'd like to double check, then please post the result of the bootinfoscript and I'll take a look.

Beans

Hello I am trying to follow the guide you linked to create the partition but run into some issues creating a partition.
    Since my computer includes a recovery drive, there was already an extended partition (sda3) which contains said recovery drive (sd4)
    I also have an sd5 which I guess is my wubi?

Since I already have extended, Using Gparts I try to expand extended with the unallocated but it errors, saying I can't move it to the left and expand..(I actually took screenshots but didn't know how to use gparts so I didn't actually save em. I can repeat and upload screenies tomorrow if it helps)

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazerz11 View Post
    Hello I am trying to follow the guide you linked to create the partition but run into some issues creating a partition.
    Since my computer includes a recovery drive, there was already an extended partition (sda3) which contains said recovery drive (sd4)
    I also have an sd5 which I guess is my wubi?

Since I already have extended, Using Gparts I try to expand extended with the unallocated but it errors, saying I can't move it to the left and expand..(I actually took screenshots but didn't know how to use gparts so I didn't actually save em. I can repeat and upload screenies tomorrow if it helps)

Thanks in advance.
    Please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Thanks
    Here it is:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x6292c561

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2          206848   428365823   214079488    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       530766848   594199551    31716352    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4       594199552   625142447    15471448   12  Compaq diagnostics
    /dev/sda5       530768896   594199551    31715328    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

trailblazerz11,

/dev/sda3, your extended contains /dev/sda5 (38GB)
    /dev/sda4 is separate (physically follows /dev/sda3)

38GB seems like a reasonable size for Ubuntu. You don't even need that much space, because since you are dual booting you probably want to keep your data separate so it's easily accessible to Windows (on an NTFS partition). But if you're using that 38GB partition now, you'll have to either shrink it or delete it in order to create 2 new partitions (one ext4 and one for swap) for the migration.

You could also increase the size of /dev/sda3 by reducing that of /dev/sda2, your main Windows partition (262GB), and then expanding /dev/sda3 to absorb that unallocated space you made. Then you can create new logical partitions for the migration without affecting /dev/sda5.

Note if you're using gparted from your Wubi install it won't let you move the /host partition in any way - so you'll need an Ubuntu CD/USB to do this.

Please can you confirm where your Wubi is installed:
    Code:
    df -h
    That will indicate the space used as well as the /host partition.

Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast