Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by clueless77 View Post
    Does the (move.sh) also need to be downloaded to perform migration?

Or is that just an older file? Sorry if I answered my own question.
    Yeah that's just a bit of history. I haven't removed any scripts, but all you need is the latest (2.1).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Yeah that's just a bit of history. I haven't removed any scripts, but all you need is the latest (2.1).
    One other question, hopefully you see this soon, how should i designate the partition of my hard drive? Meaning should I make it another drive or something else? Also how and when do I make a Ubuntu /home partition and how to get settings there or will they automatically go after migration?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

One other question, hopefully you see this soon, how should i designate the partition of my hard drive? Meaning should I make it another drive or something else? Also how and when do I make a Ubuntu /home partition and how to get settings there or will they automatically go after migration?
    You have to supply the target partition to the script. So if you're migrating to /dev/sda5 you'd run:
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh /dev/sda5
    The script will ensure that it's a valid partition.

The 2.1 release only supports migration to a single target partition. I do have a new version that supports migration to separate partitions, but it's not something in great demand so I'm not planning to release it any time soon. However, if you want it you can get it here: https://github.com/bcbc/Wubi-move/zipball/proposed
    If you choose to use it, you could migrate e.g. to /dev/sda5 (root) and /dev/sda6 (/home) as follows:
    Code:
    ###Note that the script is called wubi-move.sh in that zip
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh --home=/dev/sda6 /dev/sda5
    If you don't use the 'proposed' script and want to manually create a separate /home partition after the fact, then you'd follow the standard guides out there to copy /home to the partition, update /etc/fstab.

Beans

Well I am going to create one primary partition and a small swap partition, so there will only be 3 partitions, sda3 and ada4 if my thinking is correct, but should i create one smaller partition in front to create a /home partition inside Ubuntu thus making the migration sda4 and sad5. Also I am creating partitions inside Windows, so how should i name the partitions, its where I a little fuzzy?

Sorry about all the questions, as you can tell i am learning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well I am going to create one primary partition and a small swap partition, so there will only be 3 partitions, sda3 and ada4 if my thinking is correct, but should i create one smaller partition in front to create a /home partition inside Ubuntu thus making the migration sda4 and sad5. Also I am creating partitions inside Windows, so how should i name the partitions, its where I a little fuzzy?

Sorry about all the questions, as you can tell i am learning.
    You shouldn't create the partitions in Windows - you can make space for them in Windows, but you should create them in Ubuntu because Windows cannot create ext4 or swap partitions.

You don't have to name the partitions (that's the label). I'm referring to the partition device as Ubuntu refers to it, so the first hard drive is designated /dev/sda and the primary partitions will be numbered 1 2 3 4. Logical partitions are numbered 5 6 7 8 etc. So the first logical partition is /dev/sda5

You can only have 4 primary partitions (max) but if one of these is an extended partition you can create many logical partitions. So, I recommend created a single extended partition with as much space as you want to assign to Ubuntu, and then creating as many logical partitions as you need.
    If you are planning to create a separate partition for /home you should do this upfront.

Beans

Thank you for all your help, I decided to just start from scratch and do a true duel boot, I did the resize last night and wasn't enough still, for what i am trying to do. So I am sure we will cross paths again, again thanks for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for all your help, I decided to just start from scratch and do a true duel boot, I did the resize last night and wasn't enough still, for what i am trying to do. So I am sure we will cross paths again, again thanks for the help.
    You're welcome! Enjoy!

Beans

I install with WUBI inside windows 7 on a separate drive.
    I have a problem here. when i type the commands i got this. I don't knw whether i have a swap or not.
    how do I proceed next? Do i just proceed as it says in the picture? its urgent.

wubi-move-2.0.sh.tar.gz
    bariamtak@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for bariamtak:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x1707a8a5

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 1845247 921600 b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda2 1845248 206647295 102401024 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 206647296 311525375 52439040 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda4 311525376 976771071 332622848 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 311527424 416395263 52433920 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda6 416397312 584179711 83891200 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda7 584181760 751964159 83891200 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda8 751966208 856834047 52433920 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda9 856836096 976771071 59967488 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    bariamtak@ubuntu:~/Downloads$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

bariamtak,

You should create a swap partition if you want it. Wubi uses a swap file, but if you migrate without a swap partition, your migrated install wont't have any swap.

You also don't have any ext4 partitions to migrate to. While the older versions of the migration can migrate to a partition marked as ntfs (type 7) - and it works fine, because it still replaces the file system with ext4 - it's better to replace the ntfs partition with a new ext4 partition as it will avoid confusion later.

So use the newest version of the script 2.1, and it won't let you proceed unless your target is a valid, empty linux partition (type 83) and if you want a swap it has to be type 82.

Beans

bcbc
    I am in need of Help I have a install that I can't boot into this has been a ongoing on/off issue. I am at the point were I would like to have my root.disk installed onto another HD and no more dual boot wubi..

Can I run a live cd and attach another hardrive and do this.
    Please help I am not the greatest in linux. I have been using ubuntu for studies and need my work back

Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast