Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmtech View Post
    Wow! That was quick!
    Thanks.
    You were quick too - didn't expect such a fast response.

So... there are two things. First, as per the known issues on the first post, this could be an issue with the BIOS loading the boot files:
    Other known issues:
    1. Many older BIOSes cannot address more than 137GB from the start of the disk. If you try migrating to a partition that falls outside of this, then Grub2 will fail to load it's boot files. Even if only a part of the partition falls outside this range there is a possibility of grub failure in the future. Therefore, either confirm your BIOS is unaffected prior to partitioning, or ensure your target partition falls within this limit.
    The second thing that's strange is that the UUID on the migrated grub.cfg doesn't match the actual UUID. This wouldn't actually cause problems though as it uses /dev/sdb5 to boot. I'll look into whether I can work around this - and maybe there's a bug in grub that's not bypassing UUID cache.

So that's why I suspect it's the 137GB limit.
    Code:
    =================== sdb5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

139.322296143 = 149.596176384  boot/grub/grub.cfg                             1
     128.660156250 = 138.147790848  boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-12-generic              2
     127.117408752 = 136.491278336  boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic               1
     141.092124939 = 151.496515584  boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-12-generic                 1
     141.096336365 = 151.501037568  boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic                  1
    You can confirm this theory:
    Hit 'c' when you get the Wubi grub menu.
    Then enter:
    Code:
    configfile (hd1,msdos5)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    This will attempt to load the migrated grub menu - but as this is over the 137GB limit as well, it should fail. If it works, then that's not the issue.

Beans

Sorry bcbc, I was not as quick this time... had to go out for a couple of hours.

Ok ... not sure about the bios compatibility, but it is the original 160GB HD that came with the computer and has the latest bios available (AMI R01-B1 vers 2.3.3 Feb'07). Unfortunately Acer don't seem to supply any documentation on the bios... that I could find anyway.

I tried your quick test and you were right, it did fail. It just came back with a "grub>" prompt.

Also FYI (not sure if it matters...)

• sda is on a PATA connection & sdb is a SATA connection.... and also
    • was there a requirement to set any flags (boot?) on the sdb2 or sdb5 partition?

Thanks again bcbc your help is appreciated.
    Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry bcbc, I was not as quick this time... had to go out for a couple of hours.

Ok ... not sure about the bios compatibility, but it is the original 160GB HD that came with the computer and has the latest bios available (AMI R01-B1 vers 2.3.3 Feb'07). Unfortunately Acer don't seem to supply any documentation on the bios... that I could find anyway.

I tried your quick test and you were right, it did fail. It just came back with a "grub>" prompt.

Also FYI (not sure if it matters...)

• sda is on a PATA connection & sdb is a SATA connection.... and also
    • was there a requirement to set any flags (boot?) on the sdb2 or sdb5 partition?

Thanks again bcbc your help is appreciated.
    Peter
    You don't need to set any boot flags.

I don't know a whole lot about the BIOS limitation but think it's likely. Unfortunately your extended partition is at the 136GB mark - if you could create it at 110GB you're likely going to be okay.

Beans

Hmmm...
    if you could create it at 110GB you're likely going to be okay.
    Unfortunately that's a problem, it doesn't leave me a lot of space for the WinXP partition and I sooo didn't want to go stuffing around with re-arranging the stuff that's on that.

Is there an actual requirement to have grub? Could the boot be done directly from the Windows boot loader?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmmm...

Unfortunately that's a problem, it doesn't leave me a lot of space for the WinXP partition and I sooo didn't want to go stuffing around with re-arranging the stuff that's on that.

Is there an actual requirement to have grub? Could the boot be done directly from the Windows boot loader?
    No - from what I understand windows' bootmgr (and all boot managers) use bios functions so you have the same restrictions.

If you don't mind doing a little bit of work you can create a separate boot partition - it doesn't have to be too big - maybe 200MB-500MB and make sure it's under the 137GB mark. That should work.
    Here's something I found: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cr...onAfterInstall

Caution: it says you should set the boot flag on the boot partition - do not do this - or windows won't boot. The windows boot loader is simple and requires the boot flag to identify which partition to transfer control to. Ubuntu does not need it.

Also you can skip the part about installing grub2 - just run 'sudo update-grub' from the wubi install and it will pick it up. That way you can figure out if everything is working before deciding which bootloader to use permanently.

Beans

Thanks for your efforts so far bcbc,

If you don't mind doing a little bit of work you can create a separate boot partition - it doesn't have to be too big - maybe 200MB-500MB and make sure it's under the 137GB mark. That should work.
    Here's something I found: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cr...onAfterInstall
    There's a fair bit for me to digest there... i'll keep reading and see how I go.

Cheers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There's a fair bit for me to digest there... i'll keep reading and see how I go.

Cheers.
    You might want to hold off a bit. I've tried this and the wubi grub menu is not picking up the separate boot partition. So I need to understand how grub determines that there is a separate boot partition. (I'm trying to do it without installing the grub-bootloader - just booting from the wubi menu as you indicated you are doing).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Cheers.
    Yeah this is a bit of a pain. I got mine to work following those instructions, but I also had to chroot into the migrated install to run 'update-grub' before the Wubi install would pick up the separate boot partition.

The instructions are not exactly straightforward so I'm hesitant just to dump them down here. This would ideally be handled within the migration script itself in the future.

If you want them I can write up what I did. Later today.

Beans

If you want them I can write up what I did. Later today.
    Yeah that'd be great. Cheers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah that'd be great. Cheers.
    I put together a new version of the script that supports separate target partitions e.g. for /boot. I've run this a couple of times and it works with a caveat. You can download it here: github.com/bcbc/Wubi-move/zipball/Multi-partition-alpha (edit: link has been removed; obsolete version)

Usage:
    If your boot partition is /dev/sdb5, your main "/" partition is /dev/sdb6 and your swap is /dev/sdb7, then you would run:
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sdb6 /dev/sdb7 --boot=/dev/sdb5 --no-bootloader
    That specifies that everything will be migrated to /dev/sdb6 except the /boot directory which is migrated to /dev/sdb5. And /dev/sdb7 is the swap partition. The --no-bootloader prevents replacing the windows bootloader.

Caveats:
    1. I don't check the size on the boot partition. Make sure it's big enough (but even 200MB should be plenty as long as you don't plan on keeping lots of different kernels). Check your current usage with this command:
    Code:
    du -sh /boot
    (the size of mine is only 23MB)
    2. I don't yet check whether the boot partition is empty, only that it's type 83 - Linux. It will be formatted provided all other checks pass (no change to existing safeguards in the script)
    3. Since you're not installing the grub2 bootloader, you need to boot it from the Wubi menu. For some reason, Wubi won't pick it up until after it's been booted the first time - and I haven't figured out why yet. To boot the first time, from the Wubi grub menu, hit 'c' to get to the grub prompt.
    Load the migrated install's grub menu manually (assuming /boot is on /dev/sdb5):
    Code:
    configfile (hd1,5)/grub/grub.cfg
    Boot the first entry. Run 'sudo update-grub'. Reboot into Wubi, run 'sudo update-grub'. From then on, you can boot from the Wubi menu, and later install the grub bootloader for a permanent solution.

Note: even if the Wubi menu has an entry for the migrated install the first time - don't boot it. In my tests, it was incomplete. Or at least inspect it first (hit 'e' to view, ESC to return) and make sure it looks complete and references the boot partition, not the target.

As I said earlier, I've run this a couple of times. But obviously it's not been tested as much as a normal release, plus of course you have to boot manually the first time. So you do use it at your own risk. But I have run it on my own new win7 computer (which is also using the windows bootloader to boot since I try to use Wubi as much as possible for testing etc.) which means I believe it's safe.

PS or if you want to wait a few days I'll probably have figured out how to get it in the wubi menu the first time.
    Last edited by bcbc; November 15th, 2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: link to older version of script removed

Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast