Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by TubbyT View Post
    Yeah I have the grub loader installed. By the way, I saw way earlier in the thread someone mentioning it didn't install. I got the same error message that it didn't install even though I chose to install it, however, when I rebooted, it was there and loaded fine.

As for migrating to that partition after I delete Windows, I'd already split my hard drive 50/50 so that wouldn't give me any more room than I have now. So you're saying for safety's sake I shouldn't try adding the free space I create by deleting Windows to this partition until I make a USB boot? (I have no CD drive.) Sorry for the repeated questions, I've only been using ubuntu for about a week and I've never messed with partitions or anything before this.

EDIT: Could I format the Windows partition and use it for extra storage without resizing the current partition? Like would I be able to simply save new files to that partition while running ubuntu from this partition?

Thanks for your help.
    Since you have Grub installed to the MBR, you're safe.
    as bcbc stated: "It's safe to format the windows partition (assuming you installed the grub bootloader, which is the default).If the bootloader had not been installed, at that stage your computer would be unbootable, Windows bootloader in MBR pointing to a deleted partition. @ that point, if you didn't have a liveCD/USB, you could take a break until you got one, then boot and fix the MBR, "install Grub".
    Last edited by Hakunka-Matata; September 18th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunka-Matata View Post
    Since you have Grub installed to the MBR, you're safe.
    as bcbc stated: "It's safe to format the windows partition (assuming you installed the grub bootloader, which is the default)."If the bootloader had not been installed, at that stage your computer would be unbootable, Windows bootloader in MBR pointing to a deleted partition. @ that point, if you didn't have a liveCD/USB, you could take a break until you got one, then boot and fix the MBR, "install Grub".
    ummmhh, is that statement completely accurate?
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans

I have the grub loader installed I believe.

Before I did this migration, I'd get the Windows boot menu where I'd choose to boot Windows 7 or ubuntu. If I chose ubuntu, it'd give me the purple screen then give me an option of 4 versions of linux to boot or the Windows 7 boot loader. Since doing the migration (and I chose to install grub loader) it automatically gives me the purple screen with the four linux choices when I boot up.

Am I understanding correctly that this means I have the grub loader installed?

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm just nervous about doing this until I'm 100% sure I've got this right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TubbyT View Post
    I have the grub loader installed I believe.

Before I did this migration, I'd get the Windows boot menu where I'd choose to boot Windows 7 or ubuntu. If I chose ubuntu, it'd give me the purple screen then give me an option of 4 versions of linux to boot or the Windows 7 boot loader. Since doing the migration (and I chose to install grub loader) it automatically gives me the purple screen with the four linux choices when I boot up.

Am I understanding correctly that this means I have the grub loader installed?

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm just nervous about doing this until I'm 100% sure I've got this right.
    Yes you have the grub bootloader installed. If you are unsure run the bootinfoscript and it will confirm that.

Partitioning is generally easy and safe. But there is always a small risk. That's why you should always back up beforehand and also have a rescue medium (like an Ubuntu USB). Since you don't have a bootable Ubuntu USB yet, my advice is to wait. If you've only had Ubuntu for a couple of weeks, why rush it?

Beans

Can you use another device as storage after migrating Wubi? I would like to know because i want to use a memory card as storage but received a suggestion to install Ubuntu onto a Partition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPenguin View Post
    Can you use another device as storage after migrating Wubi? I would like to know because i want to use a memory card as storage but received a suggestion to install Ubuntu onto a Partition.
    I'm not sure that I understand. Are you asking whether you can migrate to a memory card? Whether it's a hard disk or a card you still need a partition. The only issue is whether BIOS can see the device since grub relies on BIOS functions to load the grub modules and grub.cfg and if it can't see the partition you'll get a grub rescue prompt (no way to boot from that if the ubuntu partition is not visible). If you want to experiment, boot with the card in the computer, go to your wubi grub menu, hit 'c' to get to a grub command prompt and see whether you can see the device ("ls", and then "ls (hdx,y)/" replacing x,y with the appropriate values).

Or try to migrate but don't install the grub bootloader and then confirm that you can boot the migrated install from the wubi grub menu, before installing the grub bootloader.

I personally don't recommend migrating to a card, but if you must do it then take precautions and have a rescue disk handy.

Beans

No I mean migrate Wubi to a hard drive but not use the hard drive to keep all your data or documents, and instead keep your data on a Memory Card, by default without having to move your data from the hard drive to the card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No I mean migrate Wubi to a hard drive but not use the hard drive to keep all your data or documents, and instead keep your data on a Memory Card, by default without having to move your data from the hard drive to the card.
    ah ok, I get it. The migration script moves the Wubi install to a single partition. If you need to divert some of this data to the card first, you have to do it manually. If you wanted to have a separate /home or /usr or /boot that has to be done manually as well. Maybe one day the script will evolve to support this, but not in the foreseeable future.

Beans

So there is no script that allows me to save my data on a Card by default? Well that's a bummer. Regardless I'm probaly going to migrate Wubi anyways.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So there is no script that allows me to save my data on a Card by default? Well that's a bummer. Regardless I'm probaly going to migrate Wubi anyways.
    You don't need a script. You can create a symbolic link from e.g. your "Documents" directory to somewhere on your card. Or just save data on it directly.
    If want to actually mount /home on it you'll need to have it in your /etc/fstab but this has to be done manually following the migration.

I'm not the best reference for this - create a new post or look for oldfred's many posts on the subject e.g. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1610975

Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast