Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by errrn View Post
    I finally did it, and it went FLAWLESSLY. usually that never happens to me, but anyway. I didn't use any swap partition.

great work, and many thanks!

btw, it's now safe for me to uninstall/delete the ubuntu installation I did in windows beofre, or is it? what I actually want is not to have any OS selection menu after I choose windows in the ubuntu grub.

thanks again!
    You're welcome

Yes it's safe to uninstall the Wubi install since grub2 is now in charge of booting (the first menu you see is grub). The second menu is the Windows boot manager which will be hidden once you uninstall Wubi. To do this go to the control panel, Add/remove programs, and double click on "Ubuntu".

Beans

I have read your post migrate wubi install to partition!

Here is my problem. the original wubi install is located on my HD:

telesismedia@ubuntu:/host/ubuntu$ ls
    disks install Ubuntu.ico uninstall-wubi.exe winboot

It is mounted at /media/SYSTEM/ In Ubuntu it is /dev/sda1

The original root.disk is now an 18GB file type EXT4. In Ubuntu it is /dev/loop0.

In Windows 1 recently shrunk the original partition & created a new partition calling the volume "VHD_WUBI" However The main issues are as follows /dev/sda1

has shrunk but /media/SYSTEM/ IS STILL MOUNTED AND IS /dev/sda1. The windows boot manager is on /dev/sda3 in volume "VHD_WUBI"

When I run the "fdisk -l command I see that the 18GB root.disk is partly located at /dev/sda3 I gave it a volume name of VHD_WUBI it was
    created in Ubuntu using the GPart partition editor tool but it remains unmounted.

gedit fstab gives me this info:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    /dev/sda2 /host fuseblk defaults,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id= 0,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /media/SYSTEM ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /media/VHD_WUBI ntfs-3g defaults,user,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

WHILE TRYING TO BOOT INTO UBUNTU FROM THE WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER
    THE UBUNTU SCREEN MESSAGE READS AS FOLLOWS:
    "AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED WHILE MOUNTING
    /HOST/UBUNTO/DISK/SWAP.DISK"

"PRESS S TO SKIP MOUNTING OR M FOR MANUAL RECOVER"

I press "S" and am able to use Ubuntu normally without the migratation of wubi install to partition! I nned advice on how
    to proceed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

intel design,
    You need to run the bootinfoscript.I don't fully understand what you have done and this may help. Your /etc/fstab isn't right for Wubi and I'm not sure what you mean by your root.disk is partly located on /dev/sda3.

I think the bootinfoscript will be the easiest way to proceed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you so much for this! Worked beautifully (touches wood). I'm now one small partition away from being Windows-free.

Beans

I will take a look at the bootinfoscript you mention!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by altheablue View Post
    Thank you so much for this! Worked beautifully (touches wood). I'm now one small partition away from being Windows-free.
    You're welcome

Beans

This note is for altheablue! Since you have had apparent success, what is the process like running "the boot_info_script"! I am reluctant to run the script fearing that it will alter my wubi master boot record! I admit I have a confidence deficit! bcbc post intrigued me but I know for a fact that http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...54------HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition caused my terminal to freeze up after inputing the command:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh /dev/sda5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by intel design View Post
    This note is for altheablue! Since you have had apparent success, what is the process like running "the boot_info_script"! I am reluctant to run the script fearing that it will alter my wubi master boot record! I admit I have a confidence deficit! bcbc post intrigued me but I know for a fact that http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...54------HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition caused my terminal to freeze up after inputing the command:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh /dev/sda5
    Don't worry, the bootinfo script won't alter anything. It just tells you (and the experts ) how your system and partitions are configured. Fear not! :cheers:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

intel design,

If you look through the forums you'll see that the bootinfoscript is requested and run by many people on a daily basis. If there were a bug, then we'd know about it. So, as altheablue said, it's safe to run.

Regarding the script, you say the terminal froze when you attempted to migrate. Do you have any more info than that? The script goes through a number of phases:
    1 Validation
    a. attempts to mount the target/checks the swap if any
    b. makes sure it's big enough (compared to the used space on the wubi)
    c. makes sure the target is empty
    This is a simplified list e.g. it also checks whether you're migrating a wubi install or a normal install; and whether it has grub-legacy.

2. User input
    All the questions that need answers are asked. No changes have been made up to this point. If the user decides not to format the target partition, the script ends.

3. The migration begins - this doesn't modify the Windows install or the Wubi install. It does replace the windows bootloader if you request it (recommended).
    a. format target partition and swap
    b. copy all files (this takes a long time depending on the size of the wubi install)
    c. modify the target to make it a standalone ubuntu install
    d. setup grub

4. Make the new install bootable from wubi
    a. updates the wubi grub menu to detect the new install.

So, this is a bit of a long post. But it would help to know at which point the terminal froze - if it was during the long file copy stage then it may not have frozen at all. If it didn't get past the 'format confirmation' then no changes would have been made. It also helps to know what action you took at that point e.g. turning off a computer running a wubi install is a bad idea (instead use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B).

In your original post you mentioned that you had shrunk /dev/sda1 but "/media/system is still mounted". This will automount because it's in /etc/fstab. You also have an entry for /host which is non-standard Wubi (the /host is automatically mounted prior to /etc/fstab being processed). And finally there are other entries in /etc/fstab that I'd expect, but are missing, like a mountpoint for / and swap.

You also mention that when you run "fdisk -l command I see that the 18GB root.disk is partly located at /dev/sda3". The fdisk -l output doesn't show any data files (which is what the root.disk is).

Anyway, if you can provide this information (and anything else you can think of that may help), I'd be more than happy to take a look to try to understand what has happened and how to get your computer working again.

Beans

I tryed manual partitioning (autamatic didn't work) and it said coudld not start dev/sda5 ---no such file or directory. what do I do?

Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast