Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Hi I was so happy to find this thread thinking my problems were going to be solved with some cut and paste, but it was too good to be true. Set up partitions, tried the script, didn't work, so tried manual install, hit a snag saying I had run out of space, ok maybe my partitions weren't big enough, so recloned hd from my backup, redid partitions with buckets of room, cut and paste through the steps and was hit with the same problem, Here's what the terminal says after step 3 is pasted after editing to suit my partition names:
    rofs/usr/share/nano/sh.nanorc
    rofs/usr/share/nano/tcl.nanorc
    rofs/usr/share/nano/tex.nanorc
    rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
    rsync: write failed on "/tmp/wubimove/rofs/usr/share/myspell/dicts/DicOOo.sxw": No space left on device (28)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(302) [receiver=3.0.7]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1451664 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ chmod -x /tmp/wubimove/etc/grub.d/10_lupin
    chmod: cannot access `/tmp/wubimove/etc/grub.d/10_lupin': No such file or directory
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I would post a screen shot, but can't save it to post off a live cd

Any suggestions how to avoid this glitch? Thanks in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by penguinslide View Post
    Hi I was so happy to find this thread thinking my problems were going to be solved with some cut and paste, but it was too good to be true. Set up partitions, tried the script, didn't work, so tried manual install, hit a snag saying I had run out of space, ok maybe my partitions weren't big enough, so recloned hd from my backup, redid partitions with buckets of room, cut and paste through the steps and was hit with the same problem, Here's what the terminal says after step 3 is pasted after editing to suit my partition names:
    rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
    rsync: write failed on "/tmp/wubimove/rofs/usr/share/myspell/dicts/DicOOo.sxw": No space left on device (28)
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
    chmod: cannot access `/tmp/wubimove/etc/grub.d/10_lupin': No such file or directory

Got gparted shot if it helps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did you say you were running the manual instructions from the live CD? That's not going to work. Those are supposed to be run after booting your wubi install. The only 'supported' way to migrate from a live cd is with the --root-disk= option from the script (the manual instructions would get way to complex if I had to cover every possibly scenario).

But if you really want to do it manually, the hint is to loopmount the root.disk and then modify the rsync command so that the copy source (and all the excludes) are prefixed by that mountpoint. If you look through this thread there is a link to someone else's thread where I listed the manual steps to do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Got gparted shot if it helps
    There's something strange with /dev/sda1. If it really is ext4 then wubi won't boot (the bootloader wubi uses hangs up on these). So you'll have to deal with that. Maybe run the bootinfoscript and post it back here if you need help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    There's something strange with /dev/sda1. If it really is ext4 then wubi won't boot (the bootloader wubi uses hangs up on these). So you'll have to deal with that. Maybe run the bootinfoscript and post it back here if you need help.

Hi thanks for reply, sorry my mistake using the live cd, thought it would have to be done that was so it could be unmounted (still learning linux) will look for that link in this thread and get back to you

Yeah something weird with /dev/sda1 being ext4, didn't exist before, unless it is something to do with a failed migration, will find out how to run the bootinfoscript and get back to you. About to go to work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi thanks for reply, sorry my mistake using the live cd, thought it would have to be done that was so it could be unmounted (still learning linux) will look for that link in this thread and get back to you

Yeah something weird with /dev/sda1 being ext4, didn't exist before, unless it is something to do with a failed migration, will find out how to run the bootinfoscript and get back to you. About to go to work.
    If /dev/sda1 is empty - and interfering with Wubi booting, just format it ntfs or if you want it for linux, ext3. (It's just ext4 that's a problem for the wubildr.mbr).

You can check it e.g.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    nautilus /mnt
    # or just use ls
    ls -l /mnt

Beans

GREETINGS FROM UBUNTU /dev/sda3!!! Thanks for you help and patience bcbc, you are a champion!!

Thought what the hell, got nothing to lose (wouldn't say that If I didn't have a clone!)

Gave the manual instructions one more go and it worked beautifully,

Again thank you very much, saved me much pain and anguish!!

Can now edit some video using ubuntu
    Last edited by penguinslide; May 24th, 2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Problem solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for helping me out, your code gave me:

*@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /mnt
    total 0
    *@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

Have no idea what to do with that info, will look for that link in this thread you mentioned
    Probably it's not formatted. Try:
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    sudo fdisk -l

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Probably it's not formatted. Try:
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    sudo fdisk -l

ok that gave me this:

root@ubuntu:~# sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="160dd9c8-3a25-4490-b0fb-1726e123da7f" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda4: UUID="18a5b014-a62e-4562-b261-3300938a1eab" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/loop0: UUID="37fec30f-6ef3-4f0e-9049-4652fe93998a" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="OS" UUID="E2C839DAC839AE23" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="65d29eb3-faf0-47b1-a341-2d37241a6ca8" TYPE="ext4"
    root@ubuntu:~# sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x76692ca8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 2167 17405403+ 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda2 * 2168 22525 163520512 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 27050 53820 215038057+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 53821 60801 56074882+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    root@ubuntu:~#

I don't get that at all, why with one command sda1 is identified as ext4 then the next command says it is fat32 (fat 32 was what I saw it as prior to last cloning)

I'm suspecting I'm still on wubi, just moved some files into it and stated I was running out of space!

What can I put in terminal to find what partition you are running on?

Fixed it, changed default boot onto sda3 solved that problem, will try to boot windows and see what happens.
    Last edited by penguinslide; May 24th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's a bit of a mess. Somehow you have an extended partition /dev/sda1 that encompasses /dev/sda2, yet /dev/sda1 contains an ext4 file system according to blkid, and /dev/sda2 should be numbered /dev/sda5 if it were a logical partition.

So I'm not sure what's going on there... but my advice is to take backups now if you haven't already.

Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast