Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by geiroffenberg View Post
    Automated script worked beautifully! I'm a total newbie to linux, so im very thankful.

Big thanks to bcbc for being awsome. never seen a better help guy anywhere.

BTW, just in case someone runs into the same problem.
    Before running the migration script, i had to shrink my win xp partition. NONE of the win tools worked, easeus didnt even find the partition. i dont know why and now i dont care, lol. Finally i did the whole shrink, create extended, create logical, create swap, in one swoop in gparted live from a usb stick. Everything worked out great from then on, no problems whatsoever. (i think it is necesary to boot into windows one time right after shrinking, it will run some automated updating stuff)
    Great Thanks for the feedback and the compliment!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi bcbc, all,

First I admit that I am relatively new to Ubuntu/Linux...

I must also be honest and tell you I've been having a hard time with this. I consider myself fairly intelligent but I've been reading/studying/trying to do this Wubi migration for 3 days straight now.

I'm feeling dumb now!

I really want Ubuntu (the Wubi install is out of space and keeps popping up errors even though I've dumped all of the superfluous stuff) so I've been tempted to just install fresh and start over again... but I really would like to keep all the work I've done on there so I thought I'd give posting here a shot.

Presently I have Wubi in Windows 7... I already had four partitions on my C:/ drive from the factory so I deleted the 'HP Tools' partition. Then I created and formatted a new (primary) partition in the third slot on C:/.

(BTW, does this mean that my new partion is designated 'SD3' or 'SDA3'? In other words is the first drive; the C:/ drive designated 'SD' or does this system just start with SDA?)

Anyhow, some more basic instruction here would have been nice.

I still have not been able to run the automated script (AFAIK)... Apparently I need insructions that a chimp could decipher!

I personally would appreciate literal step-by step instruction on how to run this thing. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for a while now and I've been able to do everything I put my mind to except for this, and it's driving me nuts!

After finally figuring out that I had to open a terminal to run an '.sh' script, here's what I came up with (I'll just post everything that was in the terminal at the time)...

A screenshot:

So what does that mean? How is it that the partition I made is not a 'valid' one? Does it have to be set as 'Active' or something?

I will really, really appreciate any help that you (or anyone here for that matter) may be so generous as to offer...

EDIT: I also should have noted that I cannot seem to access the 'Help' or 'Notes' which I was supposed to be able to access by entering:

Code:
    bash wubi-move-2.0.sh --help
    bash wubi-move-2.0.sh --notes
    Lastly, I just noticed that though I had fully formatted the new partition meant for Ubuntu... it now contains a folder called '$RECYCLE.BIN'.

Inside that folder is another folder called 'S-1-5-21-3880768036-1885516967-3323286761-1001' which itself contains a single file entitled 'desktop.ini'.

That file contains:

Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-8964
    What is all this?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Wallace Duffy; March 29th, 2011 at 02:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wally,

Assuming the partition you created is /dev/sda3, you would enter:
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda3

Ideally you would also create a swap partition. So where you created a primary partition, you'd replace that with an extended partition, and then create two logical partitions within that. It's not strictly necessary though - you can use a swap file instead.

I'll take a look if you give me the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l   (lower case -L)
    and
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    and
    Code:
    df -h
    EDIT: just noticed your edits. You downloaded the older wubi-move.sh script. That still works fine, but the instructions refer to the newer script wubi-move-2.0.sh. So it's better to download that script. Then those commands will work.
    Last edited by bcbc; March 29th, 2011 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ah bcbc,

Thank you for the quick reply!

When I first created the partition it was a 'Dynamic' drive and I changed it to 'Primary'... Is 'Dynamic' the same as 'Extended'? Should I change it back to 'Dynamic' then?

And are you saying then that Ubuntu requires two drives?

I appreciate your offer to take a look and I will gladly accept.

Here are the three respective outputs in the same order as your post presents them:

Code:
    wally@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l 
    [sudo] password for wally: 

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x8ae1e4ae

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1          26      203776    7  HPFS/NTFS
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2              26       34533   277178368    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3           34533       37083    20480000    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4           37083       38914    14704640    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 1499.6 GB, 1499598946304 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182315 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000389f4

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1               1      182316  1464451072    7  HPFS/NTFS
    wally@ubuntu:~$
    Code:
    wally@ubuntu:~$ sudo blkid
    [sudo] password for wally: 
    /dev/loop0: UUID="400d6f0f-e15b-46ba-ba96-1575941f0561" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="E0EE6700EE66CDFA" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda2: UUID="E4B20950B209291E" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="Ubuntu" UUID="F2D2E657D2E62019" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda4: LABEL="RECOVERY" UUID="E24A56994A566A75" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="My Book" UUID="486E622C6E62134C" TYPE="ntfs" 
    Code:
    wally@ubuntu:~$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0             17G   15G  1.2G  93% /
    none                  1.4G  296K  1.4G   1% /dev
    none                  1.4G  432K  1.4G   1% /dev/shm
    none                  1.4G  400K  1.4G   1% /var/run
    none                  1.4G     0  1.4G   0% /var/lock
    /dev/sda2             265G  103G  162G  39% /host
    /dev/sdb1             1.4T  726G  671G  52% /media/My Book
    /dev/sda3              20G   87M   20G   1% /media/Ubuntu
    By the way... do you have any idea where that $RECYCLE.BIN folder on my new partition came from?

Again - I probably can't thank you enough... but I can try!
    Last edited by Wallace Duffy; March 29th, 2011 at 06:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Duffy View Post
    Ah bcbc,

Thank you for the quick reply!

When I first created the partition it was a 'Dynamic' drive and I changed it to 'Primary'... Is 'Dynamic' the same as 'Extended'? Should I change it back to 'Dynamic' then?

And are you saying then that Ubuntu requires two drives?

I appreciate your offer to take a look and I will gladly accept.
    Yes you want to avoid dynamic drives. They're a windows construct and the partitions aren't always in the MBR partition table in which case they are undetectable to Ubuntu.
    Extended is not the same as dynamic - the extended partition gives you the option to create additional logical partitions (to get around the limit of max 4 primary partitions).

I'd normally recommend you create two logical partitions, however you have a Wubi install using 15GB and you're migrating to a partition of about 19 or so GB so that doesn't leave a lot of room if you create a swap partition.

You do have 162GB free on your windows partition, so technically you could delete /dev/sda3, shrink /dev/sda2 (use windows to do it) and create a larger extended /dev/sda3 partition in that space.

I tried to avoid getting into partitioning advice in this thread but that's probably the best long-term approach.

If you just want to stick with the single partition - go for it - but you might be looking for more space soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've been looking and I don't think anyone asked this or at least in a way I could of related to.

How am I partitioning this?

Do I set it up as in this guide,

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/01/28...-ubuntu-10-10/

Where I create a partition for (I have 500gigs):

Windows (480 gigs - 200 gigs)
    20 gig recovery partition
    /boot ~ 500mb
    /~ equal to wubi, 30 gigs
    /home ~ the rest all here
    swap space~ equal to ram 4 gigs

(4 partitions total)
    Then migrate wubi to the '/' partition? With the root parition of course being greater than or equal to the size of the wubi partition.

Or do I make a single partition, and migrate it.

I'm going to be doing this from a liveUSB, from which I already tried the script which the terminal flashed on and off the screen rapidly. This wasn't the case when I had to use the bootscript a while back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Zanderist,

If you're using Windows vista/7, then I recommend using it's disk manager to shrink the windows partition and then create an extended partition in the space using Gparted. Make sure you don't let windows create dynamic partitions.

The script has to be run from the terminal (CTRL+ALT+t). I suppose it would be nice to popup a window and get input that way, but it's not there yet. So it's a command line tool. You can make it executable but it's not necessary if you run it according to the instructions in post #1.

Also, it only supports migration to a single target partition. I've considered supporting multiple targets, but the error checking and validation gets more intricate and probably the confusion factor in running it. If you'd like a separate /home you could always customize the manual migration instructions or move /home after migrating.

Personally I stopped using a separate /home. I just keep backups.

Beans
    Distro

Hi again bcbc,

I still haven't completed the migration... but I'm getting closer!

I had just used Windows to shrink SDA2 to make more room... It showed that I had over 180 GB of unused space so I thought shrinking it would give me lots of room but apparently Windows wants most of that space for itself because it only freed up approx 30 GB. I never realized that the Ubuntu/Wubi package was taking that much space either.

Now I'm using an aftermarket program (Perfect Disk) to rearrange things on SDA2 so I can dedicate more like 80 GBs to Ubuntu. Then all I have to do is create and format an 'Extended' drive containing two 'Virtual' drives and run your script... Right?

I think I'm set now (thanks solely to your help) but I just thought I'd make sure since you're so amicable. A lot of computer folks seem to hold on to and jealously guard their knowledge like it was their 'Precious'!

I apologize for taking this thread a little off topic but if I've run into these issues -chances are others have and will in the future so this may still be helpful and actually very relevant to the process of pulling off this migration.

Thanks again... Best wishes to you from the Island!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

So I've gotten the script working, and I made that extended partition like you said.

I'm trying the root.disk from a liveCD option and now am being told that the target to the disk is not found.

I think I'll try instead booting into my wubi-ubuntu and doing the second option you had for the automated script

I'm now getting this, after giving up on the second option and opting for the first.
    Code:
    @ubuntu:~$ sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh /dev/sda4 

wubi-move-2.0.sh: Partition /dev/sda4 could not be mounted for validation.
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: This is normal if the partition is unformatted or the file
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: system is corrupted. It could also mean you have entered
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: the wrong partition. The partition will have to be formatted
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: in order to complete validation.
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SELECTED THE CORRECT PARTITION.
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: Please close all open files before continuing.
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: About to format the target partition (/dev/sda4).
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: Proceed with format (Y/N)
    Y
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: Formatting /dev/sda4 with ext4 file system
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: Formatting /dev/sda4 failed or was canceled
    wubi-move-2.0.sh: Migration request canceled
    Last edited by Zanderist; March 30th, 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Duffy View Post
    Hi again bcbc,

I still haven't completed the migration... but I'm getting closer!

I had just used Windows to shrink SDA2 to make more room... It showed that I had over 180 GB of unused space so I thought shrinking it would give me lots of room but apparently Windows wants most of that space for itself because it only freed up approx 30 GB. I never realized that the Ubuntu/Wubi package was taking that much space either.

Now I'm using an aftermarket program (Perfect Disk) to rearrange things on SDA2 so I can dedicate more like 80 GBs to Ubuntu. Then all I have to do is create and format an 'Extended' drive containing two 'Virtual' drives and run your script... Right?

I think I'm set now (thanks solely to your help) but I just thought I'd make sure since you're so amicable. A lot of computer folks seem to hold on to and jealously guard their knowledge like it was their 'Precious'!

I apologize for taking this thread a little off topic but if I've run into these issues -chances are others have and will in the future so this may still be helpful and actually very relevant to the process of pulling off this migration.

Thanks again... Best wishes to you from the Island!
    Yes, create an extended partition with two logical partitions within it. Make the one for root ext4 (type '83 - linux') and the other '82 - swap'. The swap should be > size of RAM in order to support hibernation. Personally I'd go RAM + 1GB, but the overflow amount differs between releases and memory usage (and there's no clear guide I've found).

Regarding sharing knowledge - that seems to be the Ubuntu way, and I'm more than comfortable with it as I learned that way as well. And you're right that others will likely encounter the same questions that you have.

Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast