Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot access windows 7 Partition

Beans

Cannot access windows 7 Partition

Hi all,

Ive just installed ubuntu on my laptop in a dual boot configuration, and its working perfectly. However, i am unable to access my windows partition from my ubuntu install. The drive shows up as a device named SYSTEM RESERVED, but i am still able see basic properties, such as its size. All im able to see on this drive when i access it via nautilus is a folder named boot and a folder names system volume information neither if which contain anything resembling my windows file system. I suspect that the problem may be caused my windows' new drive encryption although im not sure. Im just wondering if anyone else confirm my suspicions?

Thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot access windows 7 Partition

Is this a wubi install? and is the Windows encryption bitlocker?

Beans

it is the wubi install, and i actually have no idea, because it was preinstalled when i bought it. If its bitlocker theres not much i can do is there?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ricardino View Post
    it is the wubi install, and i actually have no idea, because it was preinstalled when i bought it. If its bitlocker theres not much i can do is there?
    I am not sure about bitlocker, but on a wubi I did a couple of days ago just for kicks I have no access to XP from it. I am a regular dual-booter, so the install was just to have some experience with it for helping others.

I don't think the windows partition is accessible from a wubi, and if it is I would be surprised, as Ubuntu is just a file in the ntfs partition, I don't think it has anything to do with a encryption.

Beans

Ahh i see, I think i might remove it and reinstall as a proper dual boot instead of a wubi then. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ricardino View Post
    Ahh i see, I think i might remove it and reinstall as a proper dual boot instead of a wubi then. Thanks for the help.
    You might check with the live cd that you will be able to access Windows, and a dual boot will be better and more stable even if it can't access Windows, but I think it will from the live cd and a install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can find your windows partition under the /host directory.

Still, install directly - never a bad idea.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post

I didn't see the XP partition in the wubi install I did, but I mainly did it to have a booscipt of it and just to understand how it works. Easy install runs about as fast as my thumb running a full install of Maverick.

Beans
    Distro

Hey I found it in home side bar-file system-host. I looked in synaptic and the ntfs prog and 3 other associated were on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post

+1.
    I don't know how it works, but ubuntu can see the windows partition and shows it in /host, when installed with wubi. When installed in its own partition, it finds windows in /media/some_driver's_name.

You might want to test ubuntu for some time using the same wubi install you have now, and when you're sure that you feel comfortable with the OS, go for a full install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast