Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work that well under Ubuntu 11.10. I have 3 computers running it, followed the instructions on them all. In 2 of them, I was able to install succesfully, the 3rd computer still doesn't find the printer.

However, in both those computers where I was able to install it, the system updater seems to regard those drivers as a problem and obligates me to remove them before being able to update the system/install software via apt-get.

Of course after removing the drivers, you won't be able to use the printer again. Trying to figure out a solution for this, but it goes way beyond my knowledge. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jfgencarnacao View Post
    Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work that well under Ubuntu 11.10. I have 3 computers running it, followed the instructions on them all. In 2 of them, I was able to install succesfully, the 3rd computer still doesn't find the printer.

However, in both those computers where I was able to install it, the system updater seems to regard those drivers as a problem and obligates me to remove them before being able to update the system/install software via apt-get.

Of course after removing the drivers, you won't be able to use the printer again. Trying to figure out a solution for this, but it goes way beyond my knowledge. Any ideas?
    I should try it again then since it works for you, maybe for me. But my system is really messed up, so maybe not. Such as I get samba errors every time I use apt-get. I would just disregard those errors, as the job itself is probably getting done unless you are getting errors saying you cannot update because of those drivers. But make sure that its still updating. Just run it once then run it again and you'll see if any new packages are there. If so, then you have issues with the system....
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans

It doesn't let me update at all, it tells me I have to remove those drivers first by doing apt-get update -f, and by doing it, it removes the drivers.

Beans

I followed the instructions to a T and my 10.04 failed to find the printer. So I followed an earlier suggestion to try restarting. Lo and behold, upon rebooting my screen resolution is completely jacked down to 1024X768 from the proper 1920x1080. The proper resolution is not in the Display section and I'm back to trying to solve a problem that's been around for YEARS , as evidenced by threads dating to 2004.

It's $hit like this Ubuntu; try to get a printer working and end up borking something totally different.

Beans

Anyone got this printer to work successfully in Oneiric so far?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Nope, anyone else got it to work?
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans

I might end up having to sell this device and move to something that IS functional. Any suggestions?

Beans

Although this method did work for me in 64-bit Maverick and Natty, it is now broken in 11.10 (Oneiric.) This ironically seems to have to do with the fact that they are trying to make 32-bit packages work better with 64-bit installations.

Forcing the installation of the two canon packages (with either --force-all or --force-depends) seems to cause the following problems:
    Code:
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     cnijfilter-common:i386 : Depends: libpopt0:i386 (>= 1.7) but it is not installed
     cnijfilter-mx340series:i386 : Depends: libatk1.0-0:i386 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libcairo2:i386 (>= 1.0.2-2) but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libgtk2.0-0:i386 (>= 2.8.0) but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libpango1.0-0:i386 (>= 1.12.3) but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libpopt0:i386 (>= 1.7) but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libxcursor1:i386 (> 1.1.2) but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libxinerama1:i386 but it is not installed
                                   Depends: libxml2:i386 (>= 2.6.24) but it is not installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    And the system remains broken until running apt-get -f install, which just removes the two canon packages.

There's gotta be a workaround. Maybe copying all the files installed by the packages out of, and back into their respective locations after removing the packages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If anyone is in gnome shell and trying to install this printer, you may get an error about "firewallD" not running, prohibiting you from adding the computer.

To access the more familiar Ubuntu printer GUI from gnome shell, simply press Alt-F2 and type

Code:
    system-config-printer
    on the command line. This will give you a printer GUI that will allow you to install this printer as outlined. It appears that "firewallD" is some RedHat package that isn't even packaged for Ubuntu, but the reference to it slipped through the cracks somehow.

More on this bug here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/871985

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's a hack -- and it's a heckuva hack -- here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/na...kg/+bug/767634

Down near the bottom of the page, one person describes the process of going into the .deb file, making it think that it's an AMD64 file, and then rebuilding the deb.

I might give it a go when I'm not suffering from a head cold.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast