Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

PERSISTENCE

Will MultiBootUSB be getting a persistence option?

When booting Lucid Puppy I found there was no way to make a save file.
    I took a fresh lupusave.2fs from another Puppy installation and dropped it in the MultiBootUSB lupu folder. Now persistence works ok with Puppy.

Ubuntu, I knew that making an ext2 casper-rw partition and then editing the menuentry to:
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso noeject noprompt -- persistent
    would give persistence.

So I took a fresh casper-rw file from an usb-creator install and dropped it into the USB root and found that also works for giving persistence.
    Renaming a casper-rw file to home-rw and also dropping that into the USB root gives a separate persistent home.

Today I intend to try this persistence option with Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Mint.
    I am wondering how much things will screw up If they all try using the same persistence files at the same time.

Edit:
    Have tried Ubuntu and Mint with shared persistence files. Things get a little strange but mostly seem to work. The two O/S sort of start to blend together.
    Probably not a good option for multiple O/S on a MultiBootUSB disk to share persistence.
    Tried Kubuntu, did not want to work with the Ubuntu/Mint casper-rw file, works ok with it's own.
    Xubuntu works with casper-rw but does not seem compatable with Ubuntu or Kubuntu persistence wise.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; July 12th, 2010 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

As previously mentioned there are problems with the Xubuntu installer.
    Heading says Mint and the xubuntu iso is not listed after iso below.

Works fine if the menuentry is fixed manually.

Tried openSUSE-11.2-KDE4-LiveCD-i686-iso and openSUSE-11.2-GNOME-LiveCD-i686-iso.
    These did not work for me, am I using the correct Suse iso?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is this the same program as found on:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-mu...multiboot-usb/

However, that only runs on Windows. Anyway, is there any chance of getting it to work with Fedora as well?

One more thing to add:
    As on the webpage, it said Linux Mint support extends only to GNOME i386 (CD to be specific). I've managed to get it working with Linux Mint x86_64 DVD (Which includes a couple of extra codecs and Java) with just a change in the file name so I suppose it can be added to the menu.lst quite easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One more thing as well. The current puppy linux does not work, even with a simple change in filename. Not sure what the issue is.

Beans
    Distro

One more thing as well. The current puppy linux does not work, even with a simple change in filename. Not sure what the issue is.
    The Puppy iso lupu-500.iso worked fine for me except persistence needed some hacking to get working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beta 3.o released. Added and Dropped some distros. List of supported distros can be found in the first post. Xubuntu - Mint problem is solved along with some more bugs...
    Last edited by sundar_ima; July 13th, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Is this the same program as found on:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-mu...multiboot-usb/
    No.
    The current puppy linux does not work, even with a simple change in filename. Not sure what the issue is.
    What is the name you have changed?
    is there any chance of getting it to work with Fedora as well?
    Use the latest script (beta 3.0).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beta 3.o released. Added and Dropped some distros. List of supported distros can be found in the first post. Xubuntu - Mint problem is solved along with some more bugs...
    Thanks, I had the same Xubuntu problem as C.S. Cameron, using Beta 2.0. I'll have to see which distros have been added or dropped in your first post, thanks again. PCLinuxOS worked fine, but it stopped at shutdown with "no more processes in this init"(or something to that effect).

The Puppy iso lupu-500.iso worked fine for me except persistence needed some hacking to get working.
    I used lupu-501.iso and didn't have to perform any hacks to get persistence working. When I shutdown Puppy, it asked if I wanted to save the session in the lupu folder on sdb1...I just needed to select the size of the persistence file.

Beans
    Distro

I can confirm Xubuntu is now working well.

Still having same problem with NimbleX.

After spending considerable time downloading every OpenSuse distro I could find I see it has been dropped.

Puppy persistence is now working for me, (out of the box).

Beans
    Distro

Still having same problem with NimbleX.
    Append the initrd line as mentioned below...
    Code:
    initrd /boot/nimblex/initrd-nx08.gz

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast