Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Beans

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

I'm trying to run the Linux version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but I get the following errors:
    Code:
    clevelandrock@Centurion:~$ wolf
    ./wolf.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    clevelandrock@Centurion:~$ apt-file search libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    clevelandrock@Centurion:~$ uname -a
    Linux Centurion 2.6.32-23-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 11 07:54:58 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    clevelandrock@Centurion:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Release:    10.04
    Codename:    lucid
    clevelandrock@Centurion:~$
    This thread did not seem to help.

Any ideas? Try not to confuse me; I'm no expert. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Go to page http://packages.debian.org/etch/libs...B2.10-glibc2.2 and from the table with heading `Download libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2' select the appropriate for your architecture package. From what I saw in your post, this is the `i386' link.

After you have downloaded the package file (a .deb file), open a terminal window and type:
    Code:
    cd <path-to-directory-where-the-deb-is>
    sudo dpkg -i <name-of-the-deb-file>
    You 'll have of course to put the real path and name in the placeholders.
    To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.
    Free Software - Free Society | The GNU Project | FSF | ESP

Beans

@gzarkadas:
    I get a 404 error trying to download the package from any of the mirrors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, it seems they have removed versions of gcc previous to 3. The library you want is from gcc CVS 2.95.4-27, dated 2001-10-02. Now your options are:

1. Use this page: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libstdc++5 to get the .deb for the next version of libstc++ and install it with the procedure outlined in my previous post. In the thread you linked the last post states that this is a solution. So, it may work.

2. If next version won't work, try to get a close match of libstc++ from older versions and compile it from source (the ./configure, make, make install stuff). The closest ones I found are:
    ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu/gcc/libstd...++-2.92.tar.gz [2001-04-06]
    ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu/gcc/libstd...c++-3.0.tar.gz [2001-06-26]
    This may work if changes till the CVS snapshot where minimal, or it may not.

3. Download gcc sources from CVS. Goto http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc and follow the links in the `"Live" Sources' box. Since this is an old gcc version, the instructions for CVS is those that are of interest to you. This path will give you the exact sources, but it is an involved one.
    To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.

Beans

Since I already have libstdc++5 installed, and method #2 didn't work (it told me I didn't have install-sh or something like that), I tried method #3 and get this.

Code:
    objc-parse.y:1428.19-20: $$ for the midrule at $4 of `structsp' has no declared type
    objc-parse.y:1440.19-20: $$ for the midrule at $4 of `structsp' has no declared type
    objc-parse.y:1451.19-20: $$ for the midrule at $4 of `structsp' has no declared type
    objc-parse.y:1457.19-20: $$ for the midrule at $3 of `structsp' has no declared type
    make[1]: *** [objc/objc-parse.c] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clevelandrock/gcc/gcc'
    make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately, since you are trying to build an obsolete version coming from a cvs tree, you 'll have to trace the error and modify the code. This has always been a lonely trip...

But before fiddling with sources, you could use `ldd' to figure out what libraries your executable needs (it may not be just libstdc++-...) and, for those missing, create symlinks with the same path that point to installed versions of the same libraries (most probably newer ones). It is a hack and it may just lead you to seg faults, but it may also work and is easier than debugging the gcc tree.

Beans

libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is apparently the only one I need that I don't have.

How do I create the symlinks? If it helps, I currently have the following related packages installed:
    libstdc++5
    libstdc++6
    libstdc++6-4.4-dev

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Open a terminal and type (not the comments, these are for your information):
    Code:
    # go to where the libstdc* libraries are located 
    cd /usr/lib
    # locate them
    ls -la libstdc*

# now write down the filename of the library that corresponds 
    # to libstdc++5, ie the oldest version

# make the symbolic link; replace <lib> 
    # with the name you wrote down above
    sudo ln  -s -T  <lib>  libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Beans

Okay, I did that and then tried to run the game.
    Code:
    ./wolf.x86: symbol lookup error: ./wolf.x86: undefined symbol: __builtin_new

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So, the binary interface of the newer version of the library is incompatible with the older one; no luck. Remove the symlink (don't leave it there if not working) and go back to compilation of gcc from source.

Another option is to try contact the Debian project to find a way to get this older (etch) binary; its hard to believe they have purged all of their previous version backups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast