Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Video Card Driver Statuses

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    /home/konqueror7
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Video Card Driver Statuses

    i'm planning on buying a new laptop, and since my last laptop and current pc both uses nvidia, i had no problems regarding driver installation.

    from the last time i heard, there seems to be still existing driver problems regarding ati and intel cards, but that was back then. and, i would gladly welcome opinions or experiences regarding their respective statues currently on linux in general, because i don't want my laptop selection to be limited based on these.

    thanks!
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

    Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Obscurial Springs
    Beans
    14,826
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    I installed 256.35 Nvidia driver for my 8 series card yesterday and it is running great . The previous driver wasn't bad , but I do notice improvement . The transition from login to desktop is much smother.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 25th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    123

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    Here's my ATi experience:

    Video playback has problems. No VSync so tearing etc. 3D is fine apart from WINE which has some bugs in 3D which Nvidia don't have.

    Desktop effects can get a little sluggish and they don't work properly with 3D stuff.

    There are bugs which are annoying and I wouldn't recommend an ATi card for Linux use.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    /home/konqueror7
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    Here's my ATi experience:

    Video playback has problems. No VSync so tearing etc. 3D is fine apart from WINE which has some bugs in 3D which Nvidia don't have.

    Desktop effects can get a little sluggish and they don't work properly with 3D stuff.

    There are bugs which are annoying and I wouldn't recommend an ATi card for Linux use.
    i see, its seems these issues haven't still been resolved. what driver were you using? repo or proprietary?
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

    Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    /home/konqueror7
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I installed 256.35 Nvidia driver for my 8 series card yesterday and it is running great . The previous driver wasn't bad , but I do notice improvement . The transition from login to desktop is much smother.
    i still got 195 here. this just get me more on leaning towards nvidia...i'll just wait for a few more opinions.
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

    Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    123

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    Quote Originally Posted by konqueror7 View Post
    i see, its seems these issues haven't still been resolved. what driver were you using? repo or proprietary?
    The propietary driver in Ubuntu 10.04 from the repos. I'll see if the latest one from AMD solves these later for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    /home/konqueror7
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    The propietary driver in Ubuntu 10.04 from the repos. I'll see if the latest one from AMD solves these later for you.
    that would be great! i appreciate that...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

    Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    /home/konqueror7
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    i've seen on searches and reviews that intel GPUs works also pretty well, with addition of a few tweaks and configs...seems i could put intel 2nd on the list...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

    Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    904

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    Nvidia = Still perfect or close to it
    ATI = Much better than before, most things work fine (Wine can sometimes cause problems though, for example)
    Intel = The drivers themselves work fine, but Intel graphics cards still suck for gaming and all that stuff though (on any OS)
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,309

    Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

    I agree, I am using the 2.12 git intel drivers here, and they work great except for some games in Wine. Though the card itself as said above will not get far. I can watch 1080p without a hitch though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •