Thread: Bootable Ubuntu on usb hard drive

Beans

Bootable Ubuntu on usb hard drive

Hi i am trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on my 1 tb my passport drive and am having loads of trouble. i am unsure how to format the frees space for the boot loader and main drive. Also what partitions are specific for ubuntu to function. This drive is formatted with masterboot partition and contains two other partitions for media and backup. The computer it will be mainly used on is a macbook pro with refit installed on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Bootable Ubuntu on usb hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snow View Post
    Hi i am trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on my 1 tb my passport drive and am having loads of trouble. i am unsure how to format the frees space for the boot loader and main drive. Also what partitions are specific for ubuntu to function. This drive is formatted with masterboot partition and contains two other partitions for media and backup. The computer it will be mainly used on is a macbook pro with refit installed on it.
    I would ask the mods to put your thread in the apple part of the forums that might help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Bootable Ubuntu on usb hard drive

When you get to formatting select Specify partitions manually (advanced).
    You should have the option to keep the media and backup partitions and add or change partitions. Make a ext4 partition with mount point "/" and then provide swap space.
    You will see a colour bar showing the partitions.
    You will still have the option to quit without changing things.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; June 24th, 2010 at 02:38 AM.