Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest working computer that you own?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What is the oldest working computer that you own?

A custom built 2003 desktop. Still has a floppy drive but I no longer have any floppies. I do like XP if I have to use Windows though.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So far, I think I've got all of you beat. Yeah. The poet from New England.

A fully functional and still, sometimes, utilized TRS-80 pocket computer I bought in 1983 (I think) containing a whopping 1.2 k of memory. I even have the fully functional tape back-up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Custom built desktop that I bought in 2002~.
    I've overclocked it from 1666mhz to 1700mhz (wow, right?) and it has 3 * 256MB's DDR-sticks, and a Nvidia card with 512MB DDR3. (4th GPU for that computer, the rest is original)

It's still fully working, got Arch Linux w/ xfce. Still do some programming on it from time to time.

I wish I had my C Vic-20 around, which I got when I was around 10 years old. That one was badass!
    This is my signature

Beans

TI99/4a -- I suppose it's somewhere between a computer and a console, but it does have productivity apps and a BASIC interpreter. I plug it in now and then, the kids have fun playing the old games and my oldest messes around with TI-BASIC. Those were maybe 1983-ish.

Also just acquired a working PowerMAC 6500/250, circa 1997-era. Neat little computer, though we don't have much software for it.

Got several pentiumII computers that run Debian, but we don't use them much anymore.

We do regularly use a K6-II laptop from around 1999 that runs Debian Squeeze and Win2k. Mostly my youngest boy uses it for Tuxpaint or Starfall.com.

Beans

HP Jornada 690 from 1999. 133mhz cpu, 32mb of ram + 2gb CF card in it. Easily runs windows... CE

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

For me, that's a toss-up. I have two that are about the same age. A Dell Dimension 6550 (which is on it's third motherboard--don't even get me started on that mess) which is my Mythbuntu machine (running two Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuners), or a home-built one that I made in 2003. That's running an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor with 2GB of DDR-266 RAM. It hosts my Amahi Home Server.

Both work better than the E-Machines that I'm running right now, even though it's about 5 years newer (and 64-bit). And I have a Toshiba laptop that's from about 2006/2007, which is running Ubuntu 12.04 (all of these, except the Dell, were my Windows 7 beta testing machines, but I got tired of BSOD's).

Have a great day
    Patrick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

spectrum 48+ from 83 with 48k RAM and z80 CPU

second place goes to 1994 - 486 DX2/80Mhz with 32MB ram and 850 MB hard disk

third one doesn't really count since it was upgraded too much. but the case and system hard disk is from 1997. i kept the ati rage card which btw works very well in linux (no high end 3D though).
    another disk upgrade failed to boot on it's image (tried clonezilla as well as redobackup). linux found disk errors/file system errors strange... disk is now ext4 formated and works in the linux computer as data storage disk so far without a hitch. i keep all data backed up on another disk just in case. another upgrade or new maschine is due soon as hardware issues have been spotted recently.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I have an old fujitsu life book. 233 processor i think and 64 mg of ram. I bought it for 45.00 when i first started working on laptops. it works great as long as its plugged in. the battery lasted about 15-20 minutes playing solitaire.
    at the time they wanted 90.00 for a battery.

Necessity is a Mother of something.
    sometimes necessity
    is just a muther.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Dragon 32 in the loft. It worked the last time I bothered to connect it all up which was about a year ago.

Beans

Still have a "DTC Mk2" vintage mid '70s, dual 8 inch hard sectored floppy, Uber 48KByte ram and a screaming 4MHz Intel 8080 CPU.

Did every thing we needed to do back then.

George

P.S. And yes I'm an old timer.
    Ubuntu User 29830, Linux User 500817

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast