Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7" Tablets

Beans

7" Tablets

I am considering dumping my iPad 3, why I am sick of Apple. Now the Nexus 7 interests me, has anyone here had real time experience with the Nexus 7 or other 7" Android Tablets?
    This account is not active.

Beans

Re: 7" Tablets

I have experience with the iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab (7 and 10 inch), Nook Color, and Kindle Fire. I also currently own the Nexus 7. I've tested these tablets at work on and off as we continually dabble with the big question "could these be usable in our environment?"

Personally, the 7" size is pretty much the definition of perfect. Every tablet I've used so far, iPad included, always had something about it that felt missing. Maybe it was just the inarguably high price tag that tablets come with. Argue the portability all you want, I get it, convenience comes at a price, but I never felt like I was getting a "deal" on any tablet. I would much rather spend my money on a laptop and do significantly more with it.

The Nexus 7 is the first one tablet I feel is worth the price. It's incredibly fast, the price/weight/feel/build quality is perfect, and the cost is hard to sneeze at. Plus, it's a Nexus device, which is hard to discount.

I never thought I'd own a tablet. But... now I do. Food for thought.

Beans

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7-inch. I'm a fan. It fits neatly into the pocket of my jeans, but it's big enough to be actually useful.

Beans

Thanks guys, as you may know I have a few disabilities, I find my iPad gets uncomfortable quite quickly as I generally have to use one hand only. It is also a heavy tablet an because of its slippery metal back I need to use a cover to hold it thus increasing the weight. Now having that in mind what is the tactile qualities of the 7 " Tablets and how do you think I will get on with them.

Beans

The backing of the Nexus 7 has a texture that is hard to describe. It's not rubber, but it's not slippery. It's "tacky" enough to so when you grab it, you feel somewhat secured with it. I'm sure it could easily slip out of your hand if you were just eating some greasy food, but I suppose the same can be argued about a super tacky rubber back as well.

Overall, the backing of the Nexus 7 is "just right". The weight is very nice as well. Any device you hold for an extended time can feel "heavy", however in comparison to the two devices I would easily give the +1 to the N7.

Fun fact: My future mother in law kept telling me she wanted an iPad. One day when she was at the house I brought home the iPad that I had played with for work. I let her use the Nexus 7 and the iPad side by side. She quickly chose the Nexus 7 as the tablet she wanted.

Beans

I got the kindle fire and its awesome! however it is a bit out of date =( dual core cpu, 512mb ram and android 2.3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I own a Kindle Fire and I am very pleased with it. For me, the size is perfect, as it fits on my cargo shorts

One of the main benefits I can think of is that you can hold it with one hand for longer periods of time without straining your wrists (not that good with my sister in law's iPad).

My wife and I were planning to get another Fire because it became more source of fights than 'who has the TV remote'

Since today Nexux7 >> Fire, and they has the same price, I can't think of a better deal than that.

Regards.

P.S.: The only semi-con worth mentioning is that some websites don't look very good on portrait mode, but if you turn it to landscape, they look fine.

Beans

In regard to Kindle Fire vs Nexus 7 on-the-fence scenarios, a lot of it hangs in the balance of what you want from a tablet. If you're a huge Amazon user who likes that integration, the Kindle Fire is a total win. The Fire, however, is not so much a traditional Android experience, as it's rather locked down with blinders on to keep you in the Kindle experience. That said, if you want a regular Android experience with the Google integration, the Nexus 7 would get the +1 there.

Either way, both devices are different enough to warrant looking at the long term usability goal in an effort to decide which to go for. Not to swing on the bias tree, but considering the Nexus 7's price for a quad core tablet, you're going to find yourself exceptionally hard-pressed to find anything that rivals it performance wise for the price.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    I own a Kindle Fire and I am very pleased with it. For me, the size is perfect, as it fits on my cargo shorts

One of the main benefits I can think of is that you can hold it with one hand for longer periods of time without straining your wrists (not that good with my sister in law's iPad).

My wife and I were planning to get another Fire because it became more source of fights than 'who has the TV remote'

Since today Nexux7 >> Fire, and they has the same price, I can't think of a better deal than that.

Regards.

P.S.: The only semi-con worth mentioning is that some websites don't look very good on portrait mode, but if you turn it to landscape, they look fine.
    How does UF look?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    How does UF look?
    UF is one of the sites that is best experienced on landscape mode.

Besides that, it looks pretty good.

Regards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast