Thread: Menu Bar Missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Menu Bar Missing

My menu bar or panel or whatever its called is missing. The thing where all my applications go and the power button and everything is gone. I don't know what I did, I was trying to install an application and all the sudden it was gone. My computer then froze and I had to do a cold-hard shutdown by holding the button because I had no other option. I know a cold shutdown is a bad thing but nothing seems to be wrong other than the darn menu bar being missing. Now it went missing before the freeze so I don't know what I did wrong. I'm just about fed up with Ubuntu being a pain in the neck. Is there some known issue with Ubuntu Netbook Edition? Because I'm having all kinds of troubles. This is the third time I've had to reinstall and I don't want to do it again. Help is greatly appreciated. I've searched the internet and failed to come up with a solution. I don't have a bottom menubar so thats not an option, I've tried killall gnome panel and I've done metacity --replace but nothing seems to work. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Menu Bar Missing

Forgive me if this is the first thing your tried but instead of kill gnome-panel have you tryed just, gnome-panel or sudo gnome panel?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've never used the netbook edition. A Google search turned up:
    "Open the configuration editor by pressing Alt + F2, then type gconf-editor and hit ENTER,
    In the Configuration Editor, browse to /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel
    Look for the key "auto_hide", click on it to toggle its value."

which might get you somewhere.

A computer which freezes might have a hardware problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've tried all the options you've suggested already and nothing worked. When I did gnome-panel it came up with no application installed so I figured my system was fried for the fifth time. *Sigh* I don't know what I do but I always end up killing Linux. However, I'm not going to give up. I've reinstalled Ubuntu and am going to make an image of the OS if I manage to get it customized without killing it again... Thanks for trying to help. But I think its just my bad luck right now.

As for a hardware problem I've been running windows on this thing for about a year and I never had it freeze on me. So if it is a hardware problem its how Linux is using the hardware not the actual hardware itself.
    Last edited by Information Overload; September 5th, 2010 at 05:41 AM.