Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belkin F7D2101 USB Adapter

Beans

Belkin F7D2101 USB Adapter

I'm extremely new to Linux and just built a machine for its sole use and decided to go with a USB adapter for internet. I bought a Belkin F7D2101 and it just will not install.

I've looked around, seen some kind of application to let you run Windows drives on Linux but I have no idea how to install anything. Nothing seems to work and if I double click any .exe files it fails. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing and feel overly-ambitious.

Is it even possible to use this adapter with Ubunutu? If so, how do I get this thing working? I've stared and tinkered for two hours now :S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Belkin F7D2101 USB Adapter

I managed to get this adapter working under Ubuntu (lucid 64). Pretty straightforward actually... I got most of this from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1522815 , although it required a some slight changes. Hopefully this will also work for you:

Run this command:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules
    And add this line to the file (which may be empty) and save:

Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="050d", ATTR{idProduct}=="845a", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba r8192s_usb"
    Then run this command:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf
    And add this file (and save)
    Code:
    install r8192s_usb /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install r8192s_usb $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "050d 845a" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rtl819xU/new_id
    Finally, download this file:
    http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/di...rtl8192sfw.bin

and copy it to the directory
    Code:
    /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU/
    To summarize, the first two commands tell linux to load the correct driver when that particular USB device is plugged in (which I figured out with the lsusb command), and the firmware is used to load the information the wireless chip needs to run.

Beans

Thanks for the instructions. This worked for me first time I tried it. I just had to create the directory to put the firmware file with this command ...
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU
    before I copied the file there since it didn't already exist for me.

Then I unplugged and re-plugged the usb adaptor and it worked like a champ!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you for this! I hadn't registered or commented even though I've been using these forums for weeks. Thank you for something that really works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thank you so much etec, this works like a charm on Linux Mint!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I haven't been able to get this to work on Ubuntu 10.10.
    10.04, all I had to do was use ndiswrapper and it worked.

Beans

I'm having a problem: I'm not sure if rtl8192sfw.bin is really in the directory. when I type in "ls" it shows rtl8192sfw.bin in green letters. when I type in "ls l" it says "total 72" then -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 68368" then the date and time and rtl8192sfw.bin in green again. Bottom line is it still doesn't work. Since I can't get online with my Ubuntu 10.4 machine, I downloaded the file from debian and transferred it to the Home Folder. Are there other alternatives?

Beans

I've not been able to get the Belkin F7D2101 to work with Ubuntu 10.10 No signs of life from the indicator light during powerup or thereafter. Has anyone had success with this adaptor since moving to 10.10?

Beans

Smile Re: Belkin F7D2101 USB Adapter

Thanks eteq!!! This guide worked great!!!

-Running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Beans

Last edited by david_a_moore; February 26th, 2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Rtying to delete post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast