Page 53 of 115 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by dr4ziw View Post
    0.8.8-10 provides you with the stable kernel module, while -- as far as I know -- input-wacom-0.10.10 is more experimental.
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by dr4ziw View Post
    As for the tablet no longer working with newer kernel versions... Did you rebuild the wacom.ko kernel module after upgrading the kernel?
    No... I didn't.

I rebuilt (using both input-wacom-0.10.10 and linuxwacom-0.8.8-10, the latter of which is currently installed) and now I get the tablet mostly working again, but the pad buttons still move the cursor to the top left of the screen.

I'll note that I saw this problem with my old Bamboo (just Bamboo, not Pen or Pen&Touch) and that the problem went away after upgrading the driver. Also, I'll note that the P&T works on my laptop, but not on my desktop. The only difference between the two systems (both run Lucid with all updates and, essentially, the exact same set of packages installed), is that one has an ATI gfx card and the other an Nvidia. I'm not sure, but is the x-server implemented by the proprietary driver? Is this the reason it works on one computer and not the other?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi cheshirekow,

They all have to go through the Xserver/Xwindow. The proprietary drivers can affect things but not usually something like the pad/tablet buttons.

On the non-working Desktop system, since you've recompiled the wacom.ko (& recloned xf86-input-wacom?), check in /usr/local/bin for xsetwacom (it should be in /usr/bin). This may mean you forgot the '--prefix=/usr' flag on the xf86-input-wacom configure line. In which case you may have a xsetwacom executable in both locations and are experiencing version conflict. Delete the one in the wrong location, i.e. /usr/local/bin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirekow View Post
    now I get the tablet mostly working again, but the pad buttons still move the cursor to the top left of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    They all have to go through the Xserver/Xwindow. The proprietary drivers can affect things but not usually something like the pad/tablet buttons.
    cheshirekow, did you configure the pad buttons at all, e.g. with the example .xsetwacom.sh script you can find in the very first posting of this thread?
    (very likely you'd have to change the device IDs according to 'xinput --list', or use the devices' full names)

In any case, checking for a duplicate xsetwacom, as Favux suggests, and removing the one from /usr/local/bin (if there is one), wouldn't hurt. It just happens too easily that you forget to pass '--prefix=/usr' as an option to ./autogen.sh or ./configure...

Cheers,
    - dr4ziw -

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    On the non-working Desktop system, since you've recompiled the wacom.ko (& recloned xf86-input-wacom?), check in /usr/local/bin for xsetwacom (it should be in /usr/bin). This may mean you forgot the '--prefix=/usr' flag on the xf86-input-wacom configure line. In which case you may have a xsetwacom executable in both locations and are experiencing version conflict.
    Good call... that was the problem. Forgot --prefix=/usr

Now the pad is mostly working, but every once in a while the cursor jumps around very far. It seems that clicks are registered randomly, and the buttons may or may not actually register a click. I'm pretty sure I've seen these symptoms elsewhere on this thread so I'll try all the xsetwacom settings and see if I can't fix stuff.

By the way, I compiled the xserver driver from xf86-input-0.10.10 and not from the git because when I use the git version I get the following:

Code:
    /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:39: XORG_MACROS_VERSION is expanded from...
    configure.ac:44: the top level
    despite having apt-get install'ed all the required packages.

Beans
    Distro

Not sure what that's about. Check /usr/share/aclocal/ and make sure xorg-macros.m4 v. 1.8 has the date you compiled it if you have Lucid. Also check that you don't have two copies. If you are in Maverick you could try making a backup and compiling a new 1.8 in it's place.

You don't want 0.10.10 because it has a known bug for the pad. You want it a few commits later when that was fixed, i.e. clone the git.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi,

I'm quite new to Ubuntu and have recently installed ubuntu 10.10

upon connecting my Wacom Bamboo one (CTF-430) it worked immediately but there is a small thing that i'd like to change

the two buttons on my stylus are not having the function like they have standard in Windows

my main issue is that i'm used to that the upper button has the function "rightclick"

right now it is doubleclick
    and the first button is now rightclick

I was hoping you could help me changing this ?

thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sorry to let you know that I haven't succeed

What I have done:
    follow HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

First try:
    Section 1 - The LWP's linuxwacom: Download source code, compile, and install linuxwacom and the USB kernel driver/module wacom.ko. For Lucid and Maverick install just the wacom.ko (do not do 'sudo make install').

Second try:
    Alternate Section 1 - The LinuxWacom's input-wacom: For Natty Narwhal (11.04) or kernels 2.6.36 and 2.6.37. Download source code, compile, and install the USB kernel driver/module wacom.ko. Only needed by USB tablets.
    [Right now the default wacom.ko in the 2.6.37 kernel is probably preferrable to input-wacom-0.10.10]

And
    Section 2 - Xorg's xf86-input-wacom: Clone (download source code), compile, and install for Lucid and Maverick.

but still:
    cht@ubucht2:~/wacom$ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ NOVATEK USB Keyboard id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ NOVATEK USB Keyboard id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ PWC snapshot button id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
    cht@ubucht2:~/wacom$ xsetwacom -v --list dev
    ... Display is '(null)'.
    ... 'list' requested.

I'm lost

Beans
    Distro

Hi andreschandia,

Sorry to hear that. What I've done is gathered the stuff for adding a new model and put it in one place, post #2, at the beginning of the HOW TO. It's a stand alone mini HOW TO on adding one of the new models. I still have to check a few things but I think it is usable now.

Since you appear to be using Ubuntu Studios that may be the difficulty. We've had problems with it. Unfortunately it seems different each time. First check the Troubleshooting section. See what kernel you are running and whether you need the 64-bit flag.

Hi Tercesje,

The lines to do that are in the sample xsetwacom script .xsetwacom.sh. They look like:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set 9 Button2 "3"  # right mouse click
    xsetwacom set 9 Button3 "2"  # middle mouse click
    in the stylus section. If you want the button assignments reversed change them like so:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set 9 Button2 "2"  # middle mouse click
    xsetwacom set 9 Button3 "3"  # right mouse click
    Using your "Device name" from 'xinput --list' for the ID #9 that the example shows.
    Last edited by Favux; January 10th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

Several commits that should affect the Bamboo P & T have just landed in the xf86-input-wacom git repository. I'll reclone it and see if I notice any improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Description: Ubuntu 10.10
    Codename: maverick
    Linux 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 01:41:57 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

No Ubuntustudio

agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: Intel 865 Chipset

xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.12.0-1ubuntu5.1

I will try again with the mini how to, you mention

Page 53 of 115 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast