Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by andreschandia View Post
    Code:
    ~$ lsusb | grep -i wacom
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 056a:00da Wacom Co., Ltd
    Hi, andreschandia.
    Looks like you're running with an older wacom.ko version, which didn't include you're tablet.
    Download the latest input-wacom-0.10.10-1 from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...m/input-wacom/
    Brand new! No need to manually patch wacom_wac.c, anymore. *yay*

I assume you're xf86-input-wacom is up to date... So your tablet (0xDA) is already included in there.

Cheers,
    - dr4ziw -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi andreschandia,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

This line:
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 056a:00da Wacom Co., Ltd
    identifies your problem. If you look in the model box near the top of the HOW TO you'll see yours is a new model. In the text below the box there's some explanations and links to set you up. It's already been added to xf86-input-wacom so you don't need to worry about that if you cloned its git repository. You'll have to manually add your model to the wacom_wac.c in the unpacked 0.8.8-10 tar and then recompile it to get a wacom.ko with your model in it. The last 5 pages or so of the thread have mainly been about folks setting up their new models.

If you don't want to do that you could try the new input-wacom-0.10.10-1 for the wacom.ko. I believe all the new models have been added to it. See the alternate section 1 in the linuxwacom HOW TO.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Hi dr4ziw, I see you beat me to the answer.
    Last edited by Favux; January 7th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Edit: Hi dr4ziw, I see you beat me to the answer.
    Oops! Sorry

The latest linuxwacom-announce says 0xD6 and 0xD7 were added ... 0xDA (and a few others) were obviously added a while before.
    Should give the developers a little rest before Wacom releases the next batch of special edition Bamboos

OT:
    Out of curiosity, what's is so special about these SE tablets?
    All I can find about them on the Wacom website is new color, a bag and another piece of software... So far nothing which would justify another ID.
    Okay, it also says "up to four finger multitouch"... Call me old fashioned, but isn't this supposed to be a graphics tablet?

Somehow I'm waiting for a special extended edition -- about 123cm wide and with a "ten finger, pressure sensitive multitouch"... That would be one funky digital piano.

Beans
    Distro

Nothing to be sorry for. Just funny.

Okay, it also says "up to four finger multitouch"... Call me old fashioned, but isn't this supposed to be a graphics tablet?
    That is what makes it special. They've improved the touch technology from two to four fingers. So now the possible gestures are potentially competitive with Apple's Magic Mouse and other multi-touch technologies.

From Wacom's point of view the graphics part is basic. The "good" digitizers are in the higher end models like the Intuos4 and Cintiq.

Beans

Hi,

Current version is 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux. It was 2.6.35-22 before.

I just compiled wacom.ko module and related xorg package. Here is the Bamboo status after rebooting system.

xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom BambooFun 4x5 eraser id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom BambooFun 4x5 cursor id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom BambooFun 4x5 pad id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom BambooFun 4x5 stylus id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]

The below is the status of Bamboo fun. I checked with lsmod and wacom was there. How do I configure Bamboo properly on 10.10? I couldn't find an extended input device on system menu.

Should I make old style xorg.conf file to set up Bamboo features?
    or use the new style?

My only concern is when GIMP > Edit > Preferences executed first time, the window doesn't response any inputs for about 30s to 1 minute.
    Last edited by ridethestream; January 7th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi ridethestream,

Should I make old style xorg.conf file to set up Bamboo features?
    or use the new style?
    You should already be configured through the 50-wacom.conf in xorg.conf.d.
    My only concern is when GIMP > Edit > Preferences executed first time, the window doesn't response any inputs for about 30s to 1 minute.
    As long as you copied the wacom.ko you compiled against the new kernel into place just try rebooting once or twice and see if things shake out with Gimp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

Just updated my Maverick setup with the appropriate wacom driver as per the first post of this forum and everything is working fine. Thank you Favux for keeping this thread up to date.

My laptop has a 1440x900 display and I have one of those small Bamboo so, in absolute mode, it is not very fun to try to draw/write with the pen. It's even worst when I have my 2 monitors setup. So, I move my config to be relative which reduce a lot the problem. However, it is still not that workable for hand writing. If you use Xournal and try to write between the lines, you have about 2-3 mm of vertical movement which is very small. I've looked at various variable available under xsetwacom but I can't seems to find anything that would allow me to adjust the "relative" resolution. Right now, I can scroll from top to bottom (900 dpi) in half my little Bamboo... I would like it to be the other way around (about half of the screen with a full scroll on the tablet).

Is it something we can configure?

Thank you.

ehfortin

Beans
    Distro

Hi ehfortin,

Good to hear from you again!

Hmmm. You'd think we would be able to use the new xinput Coordinate Transformation Matrix with Xserver 1.9 to mimick the old xsetwacom KeepShape and scale it to the way you want.

Require some experimentation though. It's linked in VII. on the HOW TO but it's at the Wacom Multi-monitor HOW TO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

Did a few quick test based on documentation you referred to. The first issue is that xsetwacom always return "Unknown parameter name 'MapToOutput'" so... I don't see how I can assign the xinput config to a specific screen without that. The xinput command is not reporting any error when I set the matrix but... doesn't mean much

Now, to be sure, when the documentation is referring to "Device Name", does it means we have to use the "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen stylus" that is reported by xsetwacom --list or I should/could use the device ID as I did for other xsetwacom test to switch between relative/absolute and play with RawSample (which was working for sure as it was very apparent on the tablet behaviour)?

Thank you.

ehfortin

Beans
    Distro

when the documentation is referring to "Device Name", does it means we have to use the "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen stylus" that is reported by xsetwacom --list or I should/could use the device ID as I did for other xsetwacom test to switch between relative/absolute and play with RawSample
    Either should work.

Does the:
    Code:
    xinput list-props "Wacom BambooFun 2FG 6x8 Pen stylus"
    or whatever show you've changed the matrix?

Since you've cloned the xf86-input-wacom git repository you should have 'MapToOutput', or are you using the default Maverick 0.10.8? Because it's not in that version. It got added a little later.

Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast