Page 19 of 115 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi torturedutopian,

to what extent does the Wacom driver operate with the new utouch stack ?
    Not at all as far as I know. The Wacom driver's 2FG gestures code came out before the uTouch multitouch stack was defined. So it will have to be rewritten. Whether you can get the tablet working on it without the Wacom drivers I don't know. I know they want testing to make sure it isn't knocking out other devices, I guess that includes Wacom tablets.

Hi mageus,

Nice work!

- There is a lag before scrolling starts, and it is not smooth. Is this normal?
    I've noticed the lag, especially on the first scroll, but it seems inconsistent. Remember not to align the two finger tips vertically or horizontally. Have them on a diagnol.
    - In gimp, the eraser acts like a pen, not an eraser.
    You have to point the eraser end of the stylus to the little eraser icon on the tool palette until it assigns the eraser to the eraser. Then save.
    - Is there a reference for all the xsetwacom parameters and modifiers?
    Enter in a terminal 'man xsetwacom' or http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/in...owto/xsetwacom , which is mostly up to date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hey, noobie here. I would really appreciate a bit of help. (I've been using Kubuntu for about a week, and haven't had to use the Konsole/Terminal yet. This is all brand-new.)

I'm trying to set up an HP tx2500, I'm running Kubuntu, Lucid 10.0.4

1) My touchscreen and pen worked without doing anything. All I want to do is calibrate them. At what point in the tutorial should I start?

2) I downloaded the file for tx2000 in the second post, but I have no idea what to do with it. For example, where do I get the coordinates? (This especially confuses me because the coordinates for the pen and touch are completely different.) Also, a really dumb question, I'm sure: What parts of the file are explanations (things that wouldn't actually be entered into the terminal)?

3) Will there be any differences because of using KDE rather than GNOME? (I don't have a great handle on what the difference is, beyond looks.)

Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

Beans
    Distro

Hi AliceKingsley,

All I want to do is calibrate them. At what point in the tutorial should I start?
    For now IV. to set up the TX2000 script. I belive KDE's autostart is about the same as Gnome's. I forget the details because I don't use KDE. There's a bug in the default Lucid wacom.ko so touch and stylus have the same name. So use the ID number for touch rather than the "Device name". In a terminal (Applications > Accesories in Gnome) enter:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    to get the "Device names" and ID #'s.
    For example, where do I get the coordinates? (This especially confuses me because the coordinates for the pen and touch are completely different.) Also, a really dumb question, I'm sure: What parts of the file are explanations (things that wouldn't actually be entered into the terminal)?
    The coordinates are already in there. You create a file and place the whole script in it or rename the downloaded script. The TX2000 and TX2500 basically have the same coordinates so they should be close. If you need to refine them install Xinput Calibrator through the ppa: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Soft...put_calibrator
    3) Will there be any differences because of using KDE rather than GNOME?
    Some but you should be able to figure it out, it's fairly close.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Favux, that worked perfectly. Thanks for the quick reply.

And as a bonus, I learned how to run a script.

Beans

The "how to" for maverick?

And for touch? that going to shoot.

I noticed that xf86... and linux-wacom 0.8.8 in maverick created conflict.

yet there aren't PPA.

Beans
    Distro

Hi sentinella86,

Give me a chance, will ya?

I just installed Maverick beta yesterday so I haven't played around yet. I did notice the default x86-input-wacom is 0.10.8 which is good. And the Bamboo doesn't work, which isn't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi sentinella86,

Give me a chance, will ya?

I just installed Maverick beta yesterday so I haven't played around yet. I did notice the default x86-input-wacom is 0.10.8 which is good. And the Bamboo doesn't work, which isn't.
    OK. I'll wait. trenks

Beans
    Distro

Hi sentinella86,

Well it looks like there's no real need to change the HOW TO for Maverick. I haven't finished testing things but preliminarily it looks good.

Since the default xf86-input-wacom is already 0.10.8 you can skip II. and not clone the git repository and things work.

The wacom.ko still doesn't work, so no usb communication with the Bamboo. This means it's approximately a pre-0.8.5-10 wacom.ko. My guess is still 0.8.4-4 like Karmic. So you do have to compile linuxwacom (I.). Although the LWP site still says "Support kernels up to 2.6.35" it does compile in 2.6.35. Apparently the change made in 0.8.8-7 "Replaced usb_buffer_free with usb_free_coherent for 2.6.35" was enough to make it compatible with the Maverick kernel.

I must say pressure works better in Gimp than ever and the stylus lag seems gone!

Beans

@#188 - Favux - strange, on my Maverick it seems to be partially working out of the box. I have Bamboo Touch (CTT-460). Details:

$ uname -a
    Linux ubuntu 2.6.35-20-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 3 14:49:14 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

$ ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.35-20-generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 44816 2010-09-03 11:51 wacom.ko

$ xinput list|grep Wacom
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Touch id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Touch pad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Touch touch id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

The issues I have:
    - Gestures don't work (after xsetwacom set 11 gestures on)
    - Touch seems to be active as right click works, but left click does not
    - Buttons are working properly
    - Pointer is jumpy, but usable (probably ~8-10px) horizontally

I tried setting different options with xsetwacom, but none worked.

Now, when I compiled wacom.ko as you described in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...09&postcount=1, the left click works, however pointer "blocks" from time to time (if you move it fast in the beginning, it just stops after some movement, even if you slow down later) and I have a feeling it's a bit quirkier (e.g. pointer more jumpy) then with the default Maverick setup.

Beans
    Distro

Hi minerva1,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Interesting. From what you're describing it sounds like probably the the evdev driver (maybe Synaptics) had touch. Xinput list partially confirms this but looking at Xorg.0.log in /var/log would have been better. But that implies there was some sort of usb communication established with the tablet?

Now with the compiled wacom.ko you have the linuxwacom drivers but may need the touch fix in post #110 or Troubleshooting.

Page 19 of 115 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast