Page 81 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

OK, stylus and eraser aren't being appended to the parent device Pen and neither are touch and pad to Finger. This means you are not on the Wacom X driver xf86-input-wacom. Likely the tablet is on the evdev X driver.

This is probably due to a (now longstanding) bug in Lucid where your 10-wacom.conf disappears due to an update. Or maybe isn't even put in anymore on a fresh install?

Either the 10-wacom.conf is empty or isn't at /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d. So manually install a 10-wacom.conf and reboot and see what happens. Instructions are in part III. along with an example wacom.conf.

Beans

Thank you for your rapid response in this situation.

My friend told me if I install Natty, my tablet works out of the box with no problems. (and he was right! (so happy!!)) I've just installed it less than an hour ago, and I'm satisfied with the results. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Beans

Hello guys, not so new using Ubuntu but new here...

Here is the situation. I used to have tablet working well on Ubuntu 11.04 out of the box. (tested on Gimp). But now some updates later, the pressure wasn't working anymore (tested at Gimp and Pencil). I've done this:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=2:1.10.1-1ubuntu1
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:irie/wacom
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    And the pressure worked again on Gimp. Although in Pencil we have a strange behavior.

I'm going to do an animation course and I'll have to use Pencil. Dunno what to do.
    I've already followed some of the steps from this topic but nothing worked.

I'm using:
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty
    Pencil 0.4.4b
    Tablet Bamboo Pen & Touch Wacom
    X server version 1.10
    Driver xf86-input-wacom-0.11.1

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Hi setsuna999,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

That is a Qt bug and affects other KDE apps. like Krita. It has been fixed and I think the fix already came through for Oneiric. Also I believe from what they say at the end of the Launchpad bug report: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...11/+bug/799202 that they'll fix it in Natty too.

So if you haven't updated lately try that and see if the fix is included. If not it will be shortly with luck. Or you could upgrade to Oneiric when it is released in a couple of weeks.

Beans

I think that:

sudo cp ./2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

Should be:

sudo cp ./2.6.36/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

Beans
    Distro

Thank you graemev. You are correct and that is true with Natty and maybe Oneiric if input-wacom still compiles in it. Sorry I forgot to update that.

Beans

Smile Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Thank you very much! the pen pressure was way to sensitive before I did this! I got your link from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11297513
    now its perfect!

thank you very much!

EDIT: after trying it out in The GIMP I get a minor problem sometimes when i press the pen down i see the brush outline move to where I clicked but it doesnt draw... however if i click again it draws. sometimes it draws right away on the first click, other times on the second click. This doesn't happen with the mouse as I have tested that and it only happens with my tablet. I tried a different drawing program and i didn't have this problem. This is very annoying when I do short and quick strokes because it doesn't always show up.

my tablet is a bamboo pen (CTL-460) In the extended input devices i have Wacom Bamboo Pen 4x5 and than a mixture of the next things ( pen eraser (not relevant, my model doesnt have one),pen stylus (i have this on screen), finger pad (i have this on screen becuase if its disabled i cant click on the icons in the toolbox), finger touch (disabled, not relevant) all of the other settings are on default and my brush dynamics are set to opacity based on pressure.

EDIT 2: after some more testing when I paint with my pen sometimes and I try and click anywhere else it glitches out (meaning nothing happens when I click on it) it also doesnt work on my mouse. There doesn't seem to be any system going on with this and the only way I can fix this is lift my pen away from my tablet and put it back. sometimes that doesn't work sometimes it does. I dont know if thats the only way to get out of this bug but its been one of the things that I've noticed get out of the bug. Is there any fix to this? I think it's something wrong with GIMP but not googling finds an answer.

solved both of the above by going into ubuntu classic (no effects)
    solution was found here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0?comments=all

Any help? is there something I'm missing?
    Thanks again for the tutorial on getting proper pen pressure sensitivity
    Last edited by why789; October 9th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

Hey Favux,

Thanx for your answer.
    I've got a Bamboo pen and touch Model CTH-460/k.
    And the the tablet's product ID:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00d6 Wacom Co., Ltd

As I wrote before the tablet is not reacting either with the fingers or with the pen.

I'll try to make a clean install on natty to see if it works. I've installed a lot of stuff to make the tablet work, so I think it's better to start from 0...

I'll come back if it doesn't work

Beans
    Distro

Hi why789,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

It sounds like you have solved everything. Nice work. There are some issues with gestures not releasing when the stylus is brought into proximity immendiately after using gestures. Tom Jaeger just submitted a patch to begin to address this for two fingers and Chris is going to look all that over when working on updating the two finger right click and one finger click.

I don't know if the problem is fixed in Oneiric or not.

Hi hectorbernal,

A clean Natty install sounds like a good idea but I don't think it will get your tablet working. You can get the stylus working for your D6 by installing input-wacom's wacom.ko which is in part I. However to get touch working correctly too you would have to follow the instructions in appendix I to install the wacom.ko from kernel 3.1.

Beans

Hi,

I tried to follow the instruction at the beginning of this thread. But I probably did something wrong.
    Btw the oled screens work.

I have a wacom intuos4 M on Natty.

I've problems with the buttons. Only the 2 at the bottom work (redo and undo).

The wheel works if I turn it clockwise but not the other way (but the button inside the wheel works)

Also I've noticed that the tablet is not very responsive inside Gimp, but it works perfectly inside mypaint. I went in "configure input devices" and I've enabled the tablet with "screen" option active for stylus, eraser, cursor and pad.
    But many times I have to draw a line twice to see it on the screen (btw on the same computer I've karmic and the tablet with gimp works like a charm).

lsusb |grep Wacom
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 056a:00b9 Wacom Co., Ltd Intuos4 6x9

this is my xinput list:

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 6x9 eraser id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 6x9 cursor id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 6x9 pad id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]