Page 99 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hello Favux,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on my Fujitsu T730. Is there any command to get the product ID? Everything I googled or found here does not work.

xsetwacom --list devices does work, it gives me:
    Serial Wacom Tablet stylus id: 14 type: STYLUS
    Serial Wacom Tablet eraser id: 15 type: ERASER
    Serial Wacom Tablet touch id: 16 type: TOUCH

But I want to know the exact product ID to compare it to your list from page 1.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Cobuntu,

Yes, the command is (with the tablet plugged in):
    Code:
    lsusb
    This will be a bit of an interesting set up since your tablet PC already has a Wacom/Fujitsu digitizer.

By the way we're adding support for Fujitsu tablet PCs to Magick Rotation: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1967982 You may be interested.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Favux,

I guess I was misleading you: From what I read I thought the Wacom within my T730 is identical to some kind of Bamboo? Therefore I am trying to figure out what kind of Wacom I actutally have - to get support in the right thread for this problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...om/+bug/949097.

And thanks for pointing me to the Magick Rotation post - I will have a look at it and give some feedback!

Beans
    Distro

Not a problem. So you only have the built in serial Fujitsu digitizer, what Linux Wacom calls an ISDV4 device.

It will have a PnP ID# beginning with FUJ. To find it enter:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    That should tell you what serial port it is on. Then enter:
    Code:
    udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS?)
    Where ttyS? is the serial port you get from dmesg.

Edit: Only BambooPT "touchpads" are suppose to be Relative. All tablet PCs should be Absolute for touch by default.
    Last edited by Favux; May 5th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I have no idea what I have to use for ttyS? in the second command, here is what I get from the first:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    [ 1.106775] 00:0b: ttyS4 at I/O 0x220 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    [ 1.170440] 0000:00:16.3: ttyS5 at I/O 0x1830 (irq = 17) is a 16550A

Beans
    Distro

It is probably ttyS4 but if that doesn't work you could try ttyS5.

I have some thoughts on the touch issue. If that continues to be a problem you might want to start a thread for that referencing the Launchpad bug report.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry Favux, my knowledge on Linux ist very limited. Could you point me to what exactly the command would look like e.g. with ttyS4, as I have no idea what part of my output is actually the serial port...

About the touch issue I created a thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post11909259.

Edit: Stupid me finally got it, the second command is
    udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS4)

And you were right, it was ttyS4:
    looking at device '/devices/pnp0/00:0b/tty/ttyS4':
    KERNEL=="ttyS4"
    SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
    DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0/00:0b':
    KERNELS=="00:0b"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp"
    DRIVERS=="serial"
    ATTRS{options}==""
    ATTRS{id}=="FUJ02e7"

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0':
    KERNELS=="pnp0"
    SUBSYSTEMS==""
    DRIVERS==""

So finally I know the ID - brings up much more google results than 'T730'... Thank you!
    Last edited by Cobuntu; May 5th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since no known issues have been reported for 0.13.0, I've uploaded a new package for Precise that supports the Intuos5 device. The precise xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.14.0 package already supports this device.

The xserver-xorg-input-wacom version in Oneiric and older do not support these devices, so I do not see a point in updating for older distros until I add an updated xf86-input-wacom (xserver-xorg-input-wacom) package.

Beans
    Distro

Since no known issues have been reported for 0.13.0, I've uploaded a new package for Precise that supports the Intuos5 device. The precise xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.14.0 package already supports this device.
    Good. Thank you.
    The xserver-xorg-input-wacom version in Oneiric and older do not support these devices, so I do not see a point in updating for older distros until I add an updated xf86-input-wacom (xserver-xorg-input-wacom) package.
    That makes sense.

Say if the PPA page allows you to add some comments I would appreciate it if you considered explaining serveral things on it. I know the project hosting pages on Launchpad let you do that.

1) Version of input-wacom installed. And xf86-input-wacom if and when you add it. Newbies won't find package details or necessarily understand what they are looking at.
    2) What new models are supported by the version. Or whatever seems pertinent.
    3) A very brief explanation of DKMS. And how it can override a newly compiled wacom.ko module unless uninstalled. This is a perennial problem for kernel module dkms.
    I've seen folks spend days trying to get a new kernel module working. They don't realize the dkms they installed while trying to get their device working is the problem. Or even that they installed a dkms. And of course they didn't know the module installed by the PPA wouldn't work with their new device because they don't know how to determine that.
    So there is a tendency for intense frustration, which is not a good first impression for newbies.
    4) How to uninstall the PPA in order to remove the DKMS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    1) Version of input-wacom installed. And xf86-input-wacom if and when you add it. Newbies won't find package details or necessarily understand what they are looking at.
    2) What new models are supported by the version. Or whatever seems pertinent.
    3) A very brief explanation of DKMS. And how it can override a newly compiled wacom.ko module unless uninstalled. This is a perennial problem for kernel module dkms.
    I've seen folks spend days trying to get a new kernel module working. They don't realize the dkms they installed while trying to get their device working is the problem. Or even that they installed a dkms. And of course they didn't know the module installed by the PPA wouldn't work with their new device because they don't know how to determine that.
    So there is a tendency for intense frustration, which is not a good first impression for newbies.
    4) How to uninstall the PPA in order to remove the DKMS.
    Thank you for your suggestions, I have updated the description at https://launchpad.net/~lekensteyn/+archive/wacom-tablet.

Page 99 of 115 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast