Page 42 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Right now on Fedora setting:

Suppress 40
    RawSample 1
    ClickForce/Threshold 2000 (may be a little high)
    TapTime 500

seems to work reasonably well.
    Suppress 40, or is that a typo? Because at values >20 I keep getting errors from xsetwacom.

ClickForce doesn't seem to work right for me. When set as high as 2000 the pointer shouldn't move when I just slightly touch the tablet's surface, right? Here it does.
    And when not pressed hard enough, then single and double taps occure, as well as the pointer jumping quite a bit towards the bottom of the screen.

It seems like a motion event "stutter" with a single finger can get translated into a tap/dbl tap. That ain't right.
    There's more that's not right,

The way I see it is, the whole process of moving the pointer:
    1) place finger on tablet,
    2) move finger,
    3) lift finger off the tablet,

Try the following: place the pointer on an icon on your desktop, either with the finger or with the mouse, and wait for a second or so without touching the tablet, just to be safely out of TapTime.
    Now make one loooong tap, say hold this tap down for two seconds or longer, then quickly make a second tap. This one may or may not be that long, doesn't matter.
    If I'm right, the the icon over which your pointer is will get selected (== single left click).

It's the same whether you move the pointer or not: a finger touching and releasing the tablet always gets interpreted as a single tap. Thus every other contact with the tablet will become the required second tap of a 1FG dbl. tab and will result in a left click.

Isn't there a filter routine for distinguishing between touching the tablet for moving the pointer, which usually takes fairly long compared to a tap, which takes only a few milliseconds. If there isn't, I think we'd really need one.

I'm thinking about something like that:
    Code:
    IF $tablet_touch_time <= 100ms THEN issue TAP
    ELSE enter $moving_pointer
    To end this posting, I'd still like to know the reason, why a double tap should be a left click?
    If you know it, please tell me

Beans

Quick question - haven't been able to find an answer to this one in the thread (though I'll confess I haven't read every post!)

Is it possible to disable particular gestures with xsetwacom or the like?

The scroll gesture works sufficiently well for me to want to use it (far from perfect, but it'll do). Unfortunately, whatever I'm doing produces a zoom-out about half the time, shrinking font sizes painfully.

Is there a way to disable the zoom gesture while leaving the scrolling one?

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marek_online View Post
    Is there a way to disable the zoom gesture while leaving the scrolling one?
    I don't know if you can really disable zoom, but setting
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom BambooFun 2FG 6x8 Finger touch" ZoomDistance 1000
    works for me.

This sets the minimum distance for the zoom gesture outside the tablet's touch resolution -- here, 740x500 --, thus no zoom gesture can be recognized. So zoom is quasi disabled.

Hope, this helps.
    - draziw -

P.S. the command above would have to be adjusted depending on your tablet, obviously.
    Last edited by dr4ziw; November 28th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

Beans

marek_online, thanks for asking this question.

Favux this might be of interest to you: there seems to be a bug with xsetwacom.
    Code:
    $ xsetwacom get 13 TapTime
    $ xsetwacom get 13 ZoomDistance
    $ xsetwacom set 13 TapTime 250
    $ xsetwacom get 13 TapTime
    $ xsetwacom get 13 ZoomDistance
    ID 13 is Touch finger, here.

As you can see, "set TapTime" also sets ZoomDistance.

So I compared the output of "xsetwacom get 13 all" before and after I changed the TapTime value.

Changing either "TapTime", "ScrollDistance" or "ZoomDistance" -- just one of them --, changes the other two parameters as well (c.f. attached spreadsheet; marked in yellow is the result of the set command, marked in orange what gets also changed)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr4ziw View Post
    I don't know if you can really disable zoom, but setting
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom BambooFun 2FG 6x8 Finger touch" ZoomDistance 1000
    works for me.
    Cool, nice to know the end result should be possible at least, thanks.

At the moment though, the only response I get for any of "ZoomDistance" "TapTime" or "ScrollDistance" is

Code:
    Unknown paramater name 'ZoomDistance'
    ...or whatever the parameter in question is.

"xsetwacom --list" lists the devices fine, and I've had a look at the output of "xetwacom list param", and there's nothing about zooming, scrolling or tapping there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marek_online View Post
    Cool, nice to know the end result should be possible at least, thanks.

At the moment though, the only response I get for any of "ZoomDistance" "TapTime" or "ScrollDistance" is

Code:
    Unknown paramater name 'ZoomDistance'
    ...or whatever the parameter in question is.

"xsetwacom --list" lists the devices fine, and I've had a look at the output of "xetwacom list param", and there's nothing about zooming, scrolling or tapping there.
    Huh!
    What version of xf86-input-wacom do you have installed? Maybe cloning git and reinstalling the driver might help.

Cheers,
    - dr4ziw -

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr4ziw View Post
    Huh!
    What version of xf86-input-wacom do you have installed? Maybe cloning git and reinstalling the driver might help.
    Just did a complete reclone of git and a reinstall of the driver. Still the same error message, and still no mentions if I list paramters.

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice.

Beans

That's strange.

I also installed xf86-input-wacom from git again.
    "TapTime", "ScrollDistance" and "ZoomDistance" are still there, about half way down the list.

Well, at the moment it wouldn't work anyway, since setting ZoomDistance to 1000 would set TapTime and ScrollDistance to 1000 as well. Thus the latter would also get effectively disabled.

Hopefully this issue will be solved soon...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi dr4ziw and marek_online,

Suppress 40, or is that a typo? Because at values >20 I keep getting errors from xsetwacom.
    Nope, not a typo. I didn't notice an error and it seemed to work. I'll have to check.

I'll also try and look at the "TapTime", "ScrollDistance" and "ZoomDistance" interdependence too. Nice find. Looks like we may have to do a bug report. I think this is "new".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Nope, not a typo. I didn't notice an error and it seemed to work. I'll have to check.
    What tablet do you have, btw?
    Maybe it's got something to do with that...?
    Mine is a CTH-661 (BambooFun 6x8 Pen&Touch).

I'll also try and look at the "TapTime", "ScrollDistance" and "ZoomDistance" interdependence too. Nice find. Looks like we may have to do a bug report. I think this is "new".
    Okay, I already submitted a posting to the linuxwacom-discuss mailing list, titled "xsetwacom gesture bug". No reply so far, but hey! it's only been 12 hrs.

Also, I posted someting about the tap/movement issues I'm having.

I hope, I'm not the only one with these issues.

Page 42 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast