Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi Quicksand,

Thank you for the kind words.

It would be nice if there were the xsetwacom equivalents of "pointer speed", "pointer acceleration", and "scrolling speed", wouldn't it? But there don't seem to be, at least yet.
    If I run my finger around in circles on the pad, the pointer doesn't really follow -- it will move a bit, then stop, then move some more. If I'm pretty slow and deliberate, it's much more likely to track accurately.

The other thing is, even in relative mode, I can't get the pointer to move less than (about) 8 or 10 pixels between adjacent positions. That seems to be the smallest step size, nothing finer. Can I make this smoother?
    I'm not seeing any of that. Touch seems to be working as well as it does in Windows now with the 0.10.7 xf86-input-wacom X driver (new 2FG gestures patch).

Is touch working OK for you in Windows? Did you spill anything on the tablet? Is your finger too "dry" or conversely too "oily" (hand lotion etc.)? Did the install of the usb driver and X driver go OK?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    I'm not seeing any of that. Touch seems to be working as well as it does in Windows now with the 0.10.7 xf86-input-wacom X driver (new 2FG gestures patch).

Is touch working OK for you in Windows?
    In what? Sorry, don't have that here!

I've been pretty much Ubuntu-only since Edgy. I do have an old Windows laptop I could try this on, but probably not for a couple of days.

Did you spill anything on the tablet? Is your finger too "dry" or conversely too "oily" (hand lotion etc.)? Did the install of the usb driver and X driver go OK?
    I don't think there's anything weird about my finger -- um, well, nothing I should talk about here at least. Anyway, yeah.

The tablet is new, right out of the box, so unless it's defective nothing strange should have happened to it. Testing on Windows might help clear that up. I'm running a Core2 Quad system, so it's definitely not an issue of the OS keeping up!

As far as I could tell, there was nothing wrong with the compilation or installation steps. No errors at any stage, and I have done my fair share of compiling over the years, so I know what a failed "make" looks like.

I'll do some more testing and report back.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Favux

It's been awhile I've written here, but I've been following the Bamboo developments. I didn't had the time to delve into making my P&T work after upgrading to Lucid, but your excellent tutorial prompted me to try.
    You can't imagine how grateful I (we all are) am for your dedication to Ubuntu Wacom users. I can't thank you enough.

I have now my P&T working in Lucid, with your scripts and everything is working very well. Even Touch is now much more reliable than in earlier linuxwacom versions. Maybe not 100% (sometimes you get a left-click when you just want to move the cursor around, but maybe I just need more practice.

Thanks
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro

Hi bromalex,

Good to hear from you again. Thank you. Glad you're set up.

Ping's new 2FG gesture patch really made a difference. We're there or nearly there now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Favux. Thank you very much for the installation walkthrough for the Bamboo Pen & Touch CTH-460. I installed it without hassle in a 64-bit Lucid system and most everything seems to be working well, even the pressure sensitivity on Inkscape. I would call this a success, in spite of the glitches in the next paragraph.

I have to agree with Quicksand about the touch response being botchy and mildly annoying to use. Furthermore, the touch toggle function doesn't seem to work. When toggled using the keyboard, "Bamboo P&T touch ON" is the only message that ever pops up. No toggling happens when pressing any of the pad's buttons. Other than this, everything seems to work as expected.

Thanks again for your contributions; I had been waiting for months to use my tablet on Ubuntu and today it has finally happened!

Beans
    Distro

Hi rhm,

I'm going to suggest to both of you rebooting a few times. If that doesn't work try reinstalling the drivers, esp. xf86-input-wacom, and rebooting a few more times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrrrghhhhh...thump..thump..thump... sound of head being beaten aginst brick wall.

So I hit the first snag as linuxwacom-0.8.8-3.tar.bz2 doesn't exist.
    Find linuxwacom-0.8.8-4.tar.bz2 and substitute that in all commands.

Then all is well untill....
    Code:
    /configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    which returns...
    Note: this package only supports Xorg server older than 1.7.
    You are running a newer version.
    Please build xf86-input-wacom instead.

You can build the kernel driver from this package though.
    and sure enough on checking with synaptic xorg is indeed 1:7.5+5ubuntu1

Fool that I am I tried
    Code:
    make
    anyway and of course it didn't work retuning...
    etc,etc,etc...
    make[2]: *** [xf86Wacom.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/blunder/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.8-4/src/xdrv'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/blunder/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.8-4/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    Then running.
    sudo cp ./src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

returns...
    cp: cannot stat `./src/2.6.30/wacom.ko': No such file or directory

So, how do I recover and is there an updated how to that works ??
    Last edited by robert shearer; June 30th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi robert shearer,

There's an oops in 0.8.8-4 (out yesterday) and it doesn't build on 1.7 Xservers. The dev.s already know and should fix it today. That's why I haven't updated the number. So be patient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for that.
    Yes, I admit to the impatience . Apologies.

Been waiting a month now for my Bamboo Fun to arrive and had researched fully, so I thought.
    From the positive experiences of others using your how-to I was expecting it to work more or less without a hitch.

Will try again tonight, do I start from scratch again or do I need to tidy anything from the failed attempt ?

Thanks for your patience,
    Cheers, Bob.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Bob,

Linuxwacom 0.8.8-4 has been fixed. You can go ahead and use it. Good luck!

PS: Before './configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr' you'd do 'make clean'. But since you need to download the fixed version just delete the tar and the unpacked tar.
    Last edited by Favux; July 1st, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast