Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1141

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Perhaps we'll have to go back a little further? Or perhaps my setup is obscurely incompatible??
    Hmm.. Missing dependencies is perhaps more likely I guess
    That could be the problem. I wish it was even though there doesn't seem to be a hint what could be missing.

Using Ubuntu's package search and looking at the control file in xserver-xorg-input-wacom_0.14.0-0ubuntu2_amd64's DEBIAN folder the depenencies listed are:
    Depends: xorg-input-abi-16, xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.10.99.901), libc6 (>= 2.4), libx11-6, libxi6 (>= 2:1.2.0), libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0)
    I think we've got them covered except maybe the ABI.

Looking at the ChangeLog it appears Ubuntu has customized their input ABI so much it is no longer compatible with upstream packages. The log refers to two patches that are needed to make upstream xf86-input-wacom compatible with the Ubuntu input ABI.

I can compile 0.14.0, 0.15.0, 0.16.0 but my system will not boot with my BambooPT plugged in. By the way to get your system working with your tablet again use Synaptic Package Manager and tell it to reinstall Ubuntu's xserver-xorg-input-wacom-0.14.0. You may have to reboot a couple of times for it to shake out. I'd do it without the tablet plugged in at first.

The ABI customization is probably part of their utouch stack. That has caused problems before. Like in Oneiric's Gimp with any graphics tablet. So your cursor jump may be a Ubuntu specific problem. In which case the developers at the Linux Wacom Project probably won't be interested in helping you, i.e. it is Ubuntu's problem. So file a Launchpad bug.

I want to thank you for bringing this to my attention. Like I mentioned I was just verifying that the tars compiled in Precise. I hadn't gotten around to testing them because I wanted to keep my Precise 0.14.0 "original" while I compiled and tested different wacom.ko versions.

So until we can find the source code for those patches so we can apply them ourselves it does not appear you can compile more recent xf86-input-wacom's in Precise.

My hope is I'm misunderstanding the problem. It is late after all.

Beans
    Distro

Alright now that it is the morning it looks like this might be simple enough.

According to:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    3 new dependencies are needed.
    dh-autoreconf diffstat quilt
    Quilt is for Debian package patching so we probably don't need it. Diffstat sounds like it's a Debian package thing too. So dh-autoreconf may be the only one needed, whatever it is.

The source code for the patch is in xf86-input-wacom_0.14.0-0ubuntu2.diff.gz like you would expect. From http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/x...rg-input-wacom of course.
    --- xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0.orig/debian/patches/101_fix_build_against_frankenserver.patch
    +++ xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0/debian/patches/101_fix_build_against_frankenserver.patch
    @@ -0,0 +1,81 @@
    +Index: xf86-input-wacom/test/fake-symbols.h
    +================================================= ==================
    +--- xf86-input-wacom.orig/test/fake-symbols.h 2012-02-01 12:24:38.555675784 +0200
    ++++ xf86-input-wacom/test/fake-symbols.h 2012-02-01 12:26:46.943528107 +0200
    +@@ -1,13 +1,8 @@
    + #include <xorg-server.h>
    + #include <xf86Xinput.h>
    +
    +-#if GET_ABI_MAJOR(ABI_XINPUT_VERSION) >= 14
    +-#define OPTTYPE XF86OptionPtr
    +-#define CONST const
    +-#else
    + #define OPTTYPE pointer
    + #define CONST
    +-#endif
    +
    + extern int xf86ReadSerial (int fd, void *buf, int count);
    + extern int xf86WriteSerial (int fd, const void *buf, int count);
    +Index: xf86-input-wacom/src/wcmValidateDevice.c
    +--- xf86-input-wacom.orig/src/wcmValidateDevice.c 2012-02-01 12:24:38.567676143 +0200
    ++++ xf86-input-wacom/src/wcmValidateDevice.c 2012-02-01 12:26:46.943528107 +0200
    +@@ -312,7 +312,6 @@
    + return ret;
    + }
    +
    +-#if GET_ABI_MAJOR(ABI_XINPUT_VERSION) < 14
    + static InputOption*
    + input_option_new(InputOption *list, char *key, char *value)
    + {
    +@@ -338,7 +337,6 @@
    + *opts = tmp;
    + }
    + }
    +-#endif
    +
    + /**
    + * Duplicate xf86 options, replace the "type" option with the given type
    +Index: xf86-input-wacom/test/fake-symbols.c
    +--- xf86-input-wacom.orig/test/fake-symbols.c 2012-02-01 12:26:41.939377956 +0200
    ++++ xf86-input-wacom/test/fake-symbols.c 2012-02-01 12:27:11.964278863 +0200
    +@@ -461,38 +461,3 @@
    + xf86UnblockSIGIO (int wasset)
    + {
    + }
    +-
    +-/* This is not the same as the X server one, but it'll do for the tests */
    +-#if GET_ABI_MAJOR(ABI_XINPUT_VERSION) >= 14
    +-typedef struct _InputOption {
    +- struct _InputOption *next;
    +- char *key;
    +- char *value;
    +-} InputOption;
    +-
    +-InputOption*
    +-input_option_new(InputOption *list, const char *key, const char *value)
    +-{
    +- InputOption *new;
    +-
    +- new = calloc(1, sizeof(InputOption));
    +- new->key = strdup(key);
    +- new->value = strdup(value);
    +- new->next = list;
    +- return new;
    +-}
    +-
    +-void
    +-input_option_free_list(InputOption **opts)
    +-{
    +- InputOption *tmp = *opts;
    +- while(*opts)
    +- {
    +- tmp = (*opts)->next;
    +- free((*opts)->key);
    +- free((*opts)->value);
    +- free((*opts));
    +- *opts = tmp;
    +- }
    +-}
    +-#endif
    So just need to make a patch and see if it'll apply to the 0.16.0 tar. And figure out if we need to add a dependency. Boy I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree here.

Beans
    Distro

How 'bout that. It worked.
    Started and touch works and pen works in Gimp.

Beans
    Distro

HOW TO UPDATE: Compiling xf86-input-wacom for Precise (12.04)

Current input-wacom (released 7-11-12) is: input-wacom-0.14.0
    Current xf86-input-wacom (released 7-9-12) is: xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0

Ubuntu has customized their input ABI (X Server 1.11 and 1.12 hybrid) and it is no longer compatible with some upstream packages including xf86-input-wacom. Consequently if you compile xf86-input-wacom in Precise it will cause your system to not start if you have your BambooPT plugged in, or to crash/freeze if you plug it in after it has started. You need to patch xf86-input-wacom to make it compatible.

Instructions:
    Follow the HOW TO as normal until you get to the ./configure --prefix=/usr. Stop there and don't enter it. Instead download the attached build_against_frankenserver.patch onto your Desktop. Rename it from build_against_frankenserver.patch.txt to build_against_frankenserver.patch. Apply the patch with a -p1 strip:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/build_against_frankenserver.patch
    You should see this output:
    patching file src/wcmValidateDevice.c
    patching file test/fake-symbols.c
    patching file test/fake-symbols.h
    After you see it you can proceed with ./configure --prefix=/usr and the rest of the commands.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Favux; August 7th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Beans

Is it possible to map pad-buttons to non existing keys? I'd like to bind my pad-buttons to Function-Keys > F12 and use KDE to bind applications to these keys.

However, when trying to map the buttons it does not work:

Code:
    $ xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 16FG 6x8 Finger pad" Button 1 "key f12"
    $ xsetwacom get "Wacom Bamboo 16FG 6x8 Finger pad" Button 1
    key +(null) -(null)
    Even some existing keys do not work, like for example my Windows-key. "Meta" is mapped to "Alt_L" and "super" or "Super_L" is mapped to (null) even though xev reports my Windows-key as "Super_L". Simple shortcuts like "key a" or "key ctrl a" work without problems.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Temar09,

First is that the pyhsical Button 1 or the X Button 1? Because for the physical Button 1 you likely need to use Button 3 (the X button number for it). See "V. Tablet (Pad) buttons" on the HOW TO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Temar09,

First is that the pyhsical Button 1 or the X Button 1? Because for the physical Button 1 you likely need to use Button 3 (the X button number for it). See "V. Tablet (Pad) buttons" on the HOW TO.
    Hmm, not sure what you mean, but my PAD-buttons seem to be 1 (=upper), 9 (=upper middle), 8 (=lower middle) and 3 (=lower). At least I can bind simple keys to these buttons.

If I enter...

Code:
    xsetwacom $DEV set Button 1 "key a"
    ...an 'a' is inserted into the current application whenever I press the upper pad button. So it seems to work.

However, if I try to bind anything with my windows-key or function-keys which are greater than F12 it does not work:

Code:
    $ xsetwacom set $DEV Button 1 "key f13"
    $ xsetwacom get $DEV Button 1
    key +(null) -(null)
    As you can see xsetwacom prints "key +(null) -(null)" instead of "key +F13 -F13". It seems I can not bind keys which do not exist on my keyboard, nor can I bind any shortcut which uses the windows-key.

However I would like to use these non-existant function-keys, as no other program uses these shortcuts. This way I can bind xsetwacom-scripts to these buttons without having to worry about collisions.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is this a bug in Ubuntu/xsetwacom?

Beans
    Distro

Alright that should work. What version of xf86-input-wacom do you have?
    Code:
    xsetwacom -V
    And which release of Ubuntu?

There were some button action bugs that were fixed rececently. Additionally Jason just committed patches to finally deal the physical versus X button mess. So we can go back to using just the physical button number. If they work of course.

Beans

HOW TO UPDATE: Compiling xf86-input-wacom for Precise (12.04)

Instructions:
    Follow the HOW TO as normal until you get to the ./configure --prefix=/usr. Stop there and don't enter it. Instead download the attached build_against_frankenserver.patch onto your Desktop. Rename it from build_against_frankenserver.patch.txt to build_against_frankenserver.patch. Apply the patch with a -p1 strip:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/build_against_frankenserver.patch
    You should see this output:

After you see it you can proceed with ./configure --prefix=/usr and the rest of the commands.
    Just a fyi that the patch works for me also. Thanks Favux for sorting it out (:

Beans

Alright that should work. What version of xf86-input-wacom do you have?
    Code:
    xsetwacom -V
    And which release of Ubuntu?
    It's Kubuntu 12.04 with xsetwacom 0.14. I did not add any external repositories but I'm using the default wacom drivers and tools included in Ubuntu.

There were some button action bugs that were fixed rececently. Additionally Jason just committed patches to finally deal the physical versus X button mess. So we can go back to using just the physical button number. If they work of course.
    Is there a PPA available for this version? I'd really like to try it.

Thanks for your help.

Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast