Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is lubuntu really that bad?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is lubuntu really that bad? [SOLVED: no]

First I installed Lubuntu on my way old laptop, because people were convincing me it was very fast. And indeed, my laptop seemed usable again.

I quickly installed it on my fathers' netbook. First thing he sais to me: My USB sticks are not working anymore! And he is right! It doesn't work on my laptop either! Ofcourse I can do some medieval console jumbo to manually get it mounted somewhere, but frankly that's annoying and no option for my father.

Last week I took my laptop to my friend to do some scanning. I had Xubuntu previously, and I would just plugin the scanner and I could scan using xsane. Now, exact same scanner and laptop, either using Simple Scan or xsane (apt-get), no scanner connected!

The other day, my broser (Opera) was taking ages to crash, so I just clicked hibernate a few times to continue some other day. When waking up, it immediately went to hibernate like 3 times!

I won't mention that terminal that has invisible chrome which hasn't had an update since Lubuntu 10.04 was released, but there are other small bumps.

Is it really that feature-incomplete? There were a lot of fans and I went through a lot of trouble to get it installed, because my laptop cannot boot from anything and I had to chainload stuff from a leftover tiny WinXP partition. I just want to mention that BASIC STUFF DOES NOT WORK to anyone concidering Lubuntu out there, because it's not fair that people are nothing but positive.

What is your experience? Did you go back to Xubuntu? Did you encounter different problems? Are there easy fixes?
    Last edited by Redsandro; June 28th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Family members want you to install something on their Windows machine, because "you know computers"?

Try Windows Remix. Batch-installing FOSS with a single click.

Beans

Re: Is lubuntu really that bad?

Why do you think Lubuntu is faster than Ubuntu? It's because they leave stuff out. You may call this "feature incomplete" but the Lubuntu developers' goal is to provide a minimalist platform. Since Lubuntu and Ubuntu use the same repository of software, you should be able to install the identical support for USB, scanners, etc. as in Ubuntu. Indeed, you could, if you wanted to, easily install everything that comes with Ubuntu into a Lubuntu install, in which case you would lose any "lightweight" performance benefit.

Furthermore, Lubuntu is a Beta release and is not officially endorsed by Canonical. It is unfair to expect it to have the same level of polish and functionality as the official Ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try slax.

Beans

LXDE is beta software at best.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes but keeping a feature out is not a lightweight alternative, right?

Mounting a USB stick is not rocketscience, it's more of a IF BLEEP DO BLOOP, it works on the lamest of laptops. And a library for scanners and stuff just sits on the harddrive, right? It doesn't make Lubuntu any slower, it just adds a feature. If the files (scanner driver?) are accessed, then there is some overhead. It's not like everything is loaded and configured in a registry like in Windows, or am I wrong? But either way, I installed cups and (x)sane and I still cannot get scanners to work.

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Lubuntu is a Beta release and is not officially endorsed by Canonical. It is unfair to expect it to have the same level of polish and functionality as the official Ubuntu release.
    True that, but a lot of zero-day fanboys made Lubuntu look like a golden rocket to me, so yeah quoted for truth and shown in a glass display housing for any considerer to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin25 View Post
    Try slax.
    The Lubuntu boys were much more convincing and that didn't work out good either.
    Family members want you to install something on their Windows machine, because "you know computers"?

Try Windows Remix. Batch-installing FOSS with a single click.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    LXDE is beta software at best.
    It's very stable! What's wrong with it. I use it!
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    Yes but keeping a feature out is not a lightweight alternative, right?

Mounting a USB stick is not rocketscience, it's more of a IF BLEEP DO BLOOP, it works on the lamest of laptops.
    Lubuntu's "lightweight alternative" is:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/flash
    Sorry I don't have the experience to help with your scanner problem.

ps I'm not trying to defend Lubuntu; I don't personally use it for the reasons I described above. But it is important to distinguish between "Lubuntu CAN'T do X" and "Lubuntu doesn't AUTOMATICALLY do X like I'm used to from Ubuntu."

Beans

The USB problem is odd. I never had problems with that. Typically, I only need to open the file manager and click on the usb drive listed in the left panel to open it.

Personally, I think the Fedora LXDE or the PCLinuxOS LXDE spins are much more polished than Lubuntu at the moment. Though, that may change by the time 10.10 comes out.
    Last edited by kabloink; June 22nd, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kabloink View Post
    The USB problem is odd. I never had problems with that. Typically, I only need to open the file manager and click on the usb drive listed in the left panel to open it.

Personally, I think the Fedora LXDE or the PCLinuxOS LXDE spins are much more polished than Lubuntu at the moment. Though, that may change by the time 10.10 comes out.
    I agree that the USB thing is strange. I haven't had issues with that since Lubuntu 9.10 Alpha.

I also agree that Lubuntu is severly lacking in polish - especially with respect to the vast changes Canonical is dumping into Ubuntu itself, although as the flagship product versus what is essentially a community respin that is understandable. My biggest concern is the lack of CI overall. There has been very little activity on Launchpad for Lubuntu and Lubuntu.net doesn't really show any progress on either Lucid or Maverick either. I fear that Lubuntu is not long for the *buntu world.
    Desktop - AMD Sempron 1.6 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, Kubuntu 11.04
    Laptop - Intel Celeron 1.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HD, Lubuntu 11.04 + Lubuntu PPA

Beans
    Distro

@redsandro,

I tried lubuntu on an old machine and then I tried peppermint. The later proved much better.
    http://peppermintos.com/

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast