Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Free 2D CAD Software from Dassault

Beans

Re: Free 2D CAD Software from Dassault

Quote Originally Posted by HaRabAS View Post
    i'm new to Linux

our company is cost cutting so i was tasked to look for alternatives. my machine is the only one with a Linux distro in it atm in our office. since our company only works with 2d cad, i had high hopes for Draftsight as an alternative to AutoCad (we use Autocad 2007 atm).

so i decided to try DraftSight to see if it's that good.

and these are the things i've noticed:

1. cursor/crosshair in model space is painfully slow. i've tried revving up the mouse options on the TOOLS pulldown menu but to no avail.

2. drawing in model space is such a hassle. response to commands is slow, like there's a 1-3 delay to everything (this was never a problem with AutoCad, even on 3d)

3. sheet background is not an actual background but a viewport. i was totally lost when i deleted it.

4. i'm totally lost during plotting and printing. seems like everything is off (it's printed on corners of the paper)

PS: i'm not a highly skilled CAD user.

seems like my problems on draftsight are all gone. except for some missing acad commands, i'm off good with DS now.

lag/delay issues before were fixed when i upgraded System>Adminstration>Additional Drivers (which was on another thread, lol).

with matters to printing and plotting, i have managed to find ways to get the output correctly.

So far so good, and if everything goes well, our small company will eventually save up to $10,000 worth of software packages and liscenses. WHEW!!

Beans

install draftsight on ubuntu 12.10 x64 wubi install FYI

Iam linux novice enjoy ubuntu and all it offers and the community. Prior till end of last year I had bricscad v11 and 12 runningon ubuntu 11.04. That laptop motherboard died. I got anew laptop. I installed ubuntu 12.10 x64 aside the windows 7via ubuntu website wubi. All software I needed ran well exceptcould not get an install of bricscad to install, died during installwith default ubuntu software center. Weeks went by. Finallygot it. Ialso got Draftsight to install and run also.

Bricscad-v13.1.19on Ubuntu 12.10 x64 wubi install
    sudodpkg--add-architecturei386

sudoapt-get update

Thisinstalls the ia32-libs and ia32-libs-multiarch needed. As Iread, the wubi install of ubuntu 12.10 does not include the i386 anddoes not allow the single packages, you have to have all to get alldependencies as I understand.

Ithen installed gdebi installer rather than the default ubuntusoftware center package installer.

afterthat I right mouse clicked over the downloadedBricsCAD-V13.1.19-2-en_US-amd64.deb file and selected install withgdebi installer.

Itinstalled complete with no dependency errors or any comments. Foundthe icon and added to sidebar. launched and it came up with noerrors and did not die during exercising bricscad. I seem tohave true type fonts also.

DraftsightInstall next

Afterabove I did the following:
    download32 bit .deb file to install fromhttp://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/
    afterinstall launch terminal and provide root or su (superuser) password
    thentype or paste following and enter after each to execute.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs libdirectfb-extra libxcb-render-util0sudo dpkg --force-all -i ~/Downloads/draftSight.debsudo apt-get -f installFoundicon, added to sidebar, launched....it worked. This version ispre-release and may not be free later but cool to play with untilthey charge.
    Goodluck

Beans

install draftsight on ubuntu 12.10 x64 wubi install FYI

I am a linux novice but enjoy ubuntu and all it offers and the community. Prior till end of last year I had bricscad v11 and 12 running on ubuntu 11.04. That laptop motherboard died. I got anew laptop. I installed ubuntu 12.10 x64 aside the windows 7via ubuntu website wubi. All software I needed ran well except could not get an install of bricscad to install, died during install with default ubuntu software center. Weeks went by. Finally got it. I also got Draftsight to install and run also.

Bricscad-v13.1.19on Ubuntu 12.10 x64 wubi install:

sudo dpkg--add-architecturei386

sudo apt-get update

This installs the ia32-libs and ia32-libs-multiarch needed. As I read, the wubi install of ubuntu 12.10 does not include the i386 and does not allow the single packages, you have to have all to get all dependencies as I understand.

I then installed gdebi installer rather than the default ubuntu software center package installer.

after that I right mouse clicked over the downloaded BricsCAD-V13.1.19-2-en_US-amd64.deb file and selected install with gdebi installer.

It installed complete with no dependency errors or any comments. Found the icon and added to sidebar. launched and it came up with no errors and did not die during exercising bricscad. I seem to have true type fonts also.

Draftsight Install next

After above I did the following:
    download 32 bit .deb file to install from http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/
    after install launch terminal and provide root or su (superuser) password
    then type or paste following and enter after each to execute.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs libdirectfb-extra libxcb-render-util0
    sudo dpkg --force-all -i ~/Downloads/draftSight.deb
    sudo apt-get -f
    installed, f
    ound icon, added icon to sidebar, launched....it worked. This version is pre-release of commercial and may not be free later (read the license) but cool to play with until they charge.
    Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Free 2D CAD Software from Dassault

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345