Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free 2D CAD Software from Dassault

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Free 2D CAD Software from Dassault

Just a note:-
    Draftsight beta 2 is available now to download only for windows and Mac.
    Site says "Linux version coming soon."Why its taking them sooooooooo long for linux?
    Really excited about linux version,under wine its feeling little slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I'm not an Autocad user but I downloaded Bricscad Linux version for my friend to try. He said it was good but that was just his opinion. Anyway see here:
    http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/
    Draftsight might be a good and simple solution for handleing the dwg format under linux, when they will release a linux version either. But still if you need a competent software,that could match AutoCAD under Linux than that's BricsCAD. Unfortunately it ain't for free.
    Debian rulz but Ubuntu it's alright either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Bhakeman,
    Your problem was exactly the same as mine. It said the software installed correctly but the program won't open. I was just wondering how did you get DraftSight to work under Wine in the end. I have been searching online for a while now and can't find a solution to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ciaran.r8 View Post
    Hi Bhakeman,
    Your problem was exactly the same as mine. It said the software installed correctly but the program won't open. I was just wondering how did you get DraftSight to work under Wine in the end. I have been searching online for a while now and can't find a solution to it.
    Not sure what I did to 'fix' Wine in order to get DraftSight to work. I do know that I switched to Mint9 and I believe I saw some wine updates being installed before I reloaded DraftSight.

Dassault seems to know that the print function doesn't work and plans on having it fixed by the final release. Their recommendation is creating the dwg in DraftSight and printing the drawing using eDrawings, (also a Dassault product, and also FREE and I believe eDrawings works in Wine)

We're hoping to use DraftSight when we go to paperless ECO's for our engineering/drafting departents. Engineers can use DraftSight to create their redlined prints, then our Drafters can create the final released prints using AutoCAD.
    Home PC - Windows Vista Home Premium x64, HP AMD64 2GB Ram
    Work PC - Windows 7 Professional x64, HP Quad Core 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM
    Laptop - Mint 9, HP Compaq NW8240 1GB Ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am a stone draftsman and have only used Autocad for production drawings. At this moment I work in 2D but at some time in the future would like to work in 3D. I just setup a home computer with Ubuntu 9.10. I am in seacrh of a CAD program that will read dwg files that runs on Ubuntu and prints to scale.

Since I am new to Ubuntu I will need some help setup my computer to make it work. Thanks

Beans

To all people searching for a modern and capable 2d/3d cad program in linux:

THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!
    AND, MOST PROBABLY, THERE WILL NEVER GONNA BE!!!
    Just dual boot...

PS: Bricscad would have been good news in 2000~2002, but not today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    To all people searching for a modern and capable 2d/3d cad program in linux:

THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!
    AND, MOST PROBABLY, THERE WILL NEVER GONNA BE!!!
    Just dual boot...

PS: Bricscad would have been good news in 2000~2002, but not today.

Why would you dual boot when you could run Windows in vmware, virtualbox, xen, or various other VMs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Why would you dual boot when you could run Windows in vmware, virtualbox, xen, or various other VMs?
    Because modern day CAD/BIM software requires even the last drop of your system resources.
    Sometimes even that is not enough: I fried my motherboard once rendering some photo-realistic pics with Archicad...

PS: Look at the recommended system specs for the latest Civil 3d (2011).
    Last edited by TeoBigusGeekus; February 7th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Please tell me I'm wrong, please....
    I'd sell my soul and body (+my mother's, +my sister's) for a good BIM/CAD software in linux...
    Please someone contradict me...
    Just say, "Teo you're full of feces, there's this project out there, or this project under development".
    Please....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    Please tell me I'm wrong, please....
    I'd sell my soul and body (+my mother's, +my sister's) for a good BIM/CAD software in linux...
    Please someone contradict me...
    Just say, "Teo you're full of feces, there's this project out there, or this project under development".
    Please....

Well, it would be sad to see you full of feces.

I don't know all the projects out there, so I cannot comment on that. I can say that what's available today is a vast improvement over what was available a year or two ago, and I think we'll see much improved offerings a year into the future. As to which ones exactly, I do not know.

One promising trend: anything released for OS X is already close to being able to run under Linux. OS X is, after all, running on its own Unix-derivative operating system. Certainly OS X software is far closer architecturally to Linux than anything written to the Windows APIs.

As to those Autodesk system requirements, it looks like many processors made in the past 3 years or so will do fine. The big requirement seems to be a good, dedicated graphics card... integrated graphics generally aren't going to satisfy the requirement. I would think a good nVidia card would run well in both Windows and Linux.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast