Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rosetta Stone "audio error" and 5118 message...

Beans

Re: Rosetta Stone "audio error" and 5118 message...

I use Wine 1.3.11 already but it doesn´t work I really do not know what to do to get rosetta stone working.
    Maybe Vmware or something like that? :S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

With Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic on Maverick and wine 1.2 (via Synaptic 1.2.2-0ubuntu2~maverick2) it worked for me. But I wanted it working on Lucid (LTS) and have succeeded by installing that 2.6.35-22 kernel. Some of the steps below may be unnecessary:

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

uncomment the back-ports entry and save.

Then via Synaptic install linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic (which also installs linux-headers-2.6.35-22) and linux-image-2.6.35-22-generic

The latter suggests installing the meta-package:
    linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.35-lucid-generic
    to ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed (I did this but am not sure if it is really necessary or a good idea).

Now, re-comment the back-ports entries in /etc/apt/sources.list to ensure the update manager wont continue to update packages from there.

Try running Rosetta Stone, and if you are lucky it will be fine. In my case it wasn't and I tried a bunch of things before it worked.

In case some default sound setting needed to be reset, via Synaptic I reinstalled gnome-media alsa-base alsa-utils audacity (I don't think this helped).
    I also reinstalled wine1.2 in case it needed to communicate with the new kernel (I don't think this helped either).

Then I experimented with my sound preferences (to ensure input and output were going to/from the headset - using Sound Recorder) and with the settings in wine-cfg.

In winecfg:

under Applications: Windows version: Windows 2000
    under Audio: Both "ALSA Driver" and "OSS Driver" are selected (and none of the others).

Hope this helps and that someone knows who to tell to get this working seemlessly in future kernel releases.

Beans

Hi, i recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and no my microphone isn't working anymore in Rosetta Stone :/.
    I'm using the newest wine version (wine-1.3.31) and i don't know what it could be.

I would be _really_ glad, if you could help me - i don't want to install Windows .

thanks!

Beans

Not able to use the immediately above method in 11.10-- AFAIK will not boot from that kernel.

Beans

At this point it seems RS cannot detect microphones under recent kernels on Ubuntu (at least). Using USB mic and setting microphone manually does not work here -- confirmation from someone else would be appreciated.

At this point I'm running RS under VirtualBox, where it runs... reasonably.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12