Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems playing mkv file with mplayer

Beans

Problems playing mkv file with mplayer

I have all of the needed codecs installed I think that make mkv's playable in ubuntu, but the video is choppy, but the audio keeps going.

I am using integrated video on this PC, but I do have 2.9GB of RAM and have a 2GHz CPU. I do not see why it would be so problematic....

It does not seem to just be with Mplayer, VLC seems to do it too.

Strange thing is, before I reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04 earlier this month, they played ok. (I was using 10.04 at that time too).

I will be installing 64 bit ubuntu in a little bit since I have upgraded my ram and more is on the way.
    Last edited by RandomP; June 21st, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Current: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Setting up....
    Legacy: Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2 powered by Minibian (Debian Jessie)

Beans

Re: Problems playing mkv file with mplayer

Make sure you have the "Recommended" video driver activated in Jockey. System> Admin.> Hardware Drivers.

You might also want to get this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

i'm having the same trouble, i have a Zotac ION N330 (dual core 1.6 atom with the ION graphics processor which is soposed to be spot on for 1080p playback) and it does the same, when i try to playback any 720p or 1080p material it just goes out of sync where audio keeps playing but video slows down!

i've installed all the codec packs i could think of but no difference, i've tryed other programs but i mainly use XBMC the problem is the same whatever i use to play the files!

Beans

I am trying the restricted extras thing right now. Is it alright if I have Sun Java 6 installed? Since I see it installing the opensource version of Java that is in the repos...

ep1centre, my brother is using Ubuntu on his 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo PC with 2GB of RAM and all of the videos work great. The question is what are the other specs on your PC. The video card or integrated graphics may not be powerful enough, or you do not have a good amount of RAM.

EDIT:
    Restricted extras seem to have done nothing. The video still lags. Right now it is only doing this to one mkv file, another one I have runs very smoothly. I however do know that it is not the video.
    Last edited by RandomP; June 21st, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem is if the source is "HD" or not. Most .MKVs on my old computer did exactly the same no matter what I installed. Check your cpu usage whilst playing, I bet its maxed out. If not then try installing the player "VLC", it works pretty good.
    Last edited by acrazyplayer; June 21st, 2010 at 11:42 PM.
    The future has passed.

Beans

That's an excellent point. High Def can take a tremendous amount of processor time. I don't remember what the recommended minimum specs are but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least 2 GB RAM and a mid-grade dual core.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    That's an excellent point. High Def can take a tremendous amount of processor time. I don't remember what the recommended minimum specs are but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least 2 GB RAM and a mid-grade dual core.
    I doubt that very much as this computer used to play the files fine and it plays some of the 720p mkv's I have without any sort of lag. Besides that when this PC ran windows it played all of the 720 and 1080p files, but it only had 512mb of RAM.

Beans

My laptop has 2 GB Crucial RAM and an Intel P4 2.8 GHz Hyper Thread CPU. High Def brings it to it's knees. It will do HD only if nothing else is running and Compiz is off. Which is a bad thing to try, now that I think about it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    My laptop has 2 GB Crucial RAM and an Intel P4 2.8 GHz Hyper Thread CPU. High Def brings it to it's knees. It will do HD only if nothing else is running and Compiz is off. Which is a bad thing to try, now that I think about it.
    I just checked it..... Yep, it is using 100% of the processor while playing that mkv.

I was thinking of trying to overclock this CPU to something a little higher, since the other 720p video works almost flawlessly. Also, would a graphics card not work?

I might just try and see if I can get a AMD Athlon X64 II in socket 939...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RandomP View Post
    I just checked it..... Yep, it is using 100% of the processor while playing that mkv.

I was thinking of trying to overclock this CPU to something a little higher, since the other 720p video works almost flawlessly. Also, would a graphics card not work?

I might just try and see if I can get a AMD Athlon X64 II in socket 939...
    Even assuming you have enough cooling in your system, overclocking can only get you so much before your processor becomes unstable. It probably won't be enough to make any difference.

A better graphics card might help allot or not at all. Really depends on what you are using now.

From Wikipedia about the AMD Athlon X64 X2:

On April 21, 2005, less than a week after the release of Venice and San Diego, AMD announced its next addition to the Athlon 64 line, the Athlon 64 X2.[23] Released on May 31, 2005,[24] it also initially had two different core revisions available to the public, Manchester and Toledo, the only appreciable difference between them being the amount of L2 cache.[25] Both were released only for Socket 939.[26] The Athlon 64 X2 was received very well by reviewers and the general public, with a general consensus emerging that AMD's implementation of multi-core was superior to that of the competing Pentium D.[27][28] Some felt initially that the X2 would cause market confusion with regard to price points since the new processor was targeted at the same "enthusiast," US$350 and above market[29] already occupied by AMD's existing socket 939 Athlon 64s.[30] AMD's official breakdown of the chips placed the Athlon X2 aimed at a segment they called the "prosumer", along with digital media fans.[24] The Athlon 64 was targeted at the mainstream consumer, and the Athlon FX at gamers. The Sempron budget processor was targeted at value-conscious consumers.[31] Following the launch of the Athlon 64 X2, AMD surpassed Intel in US retail sales for a period of time, although Intel retained overall market leadership because of its exclusive relationships with direct sellers such as Dell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast