Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screen Saver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Screen Saver

Now you have your slideshow setup and in the right place you need to go to Places > Search for Files. Search for Cosmos and you will find cosmos-slideshow.desktop (a configuration file in /usr/share/applications/screensavers), cosmos (the folder containing the Cosmos backgrounds which you will have noticed is used as the basis of the slideshow background), and cosmos.xml (again used as the basis for the background slideshow).

Open cosmos-slideshow.desktop by opening a terminal and typing or pasting
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/screensavers/cosmos-slideshow.desktop
    .Now you have that open change the following ITALIC entries to suit your screensaver.

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Cosmos
    Comment=Display a slideshow of pictures of the cosmos
    Exec=/usr/lib/gnome-screensaver/gnome-screensaver/slideshow --location=/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos
    TryExec=/usr/lib/gnome-screensaver/gnome-screensaver/slideshow
    StartupNotify=false
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=GNOME;Screensaver;
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-screensaver
    Save the file with A NEW NAME, this is so you don't lose cosmos.

Now that you have done that press Alt-F2 and in the dialogue box type in gconf-editor. Go Apps > gnome-screensaver. On the oppsite pane you should see a list go down until you see "mode", tap on mode twice and you will get another dialogue box appear, enter single into the Value line and click ok. Open the Screensaver preferences choose you new screensaver and your done.

Be sure to log in on the guest account and select your new screensaver in the screensaver preferences so your guests can view your pictures.

Let us know how you go.
    Last edited by k3lt01; June 21st, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Finish it off.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Shenachie View Post
    Sorry to say there is not screen shot at this end so that makes things a bit awkward to follow.

Further where do I find "nautilus"?

I am a very basic user sorry to say.

Shenachie
    Sorry about the screenshot. I have now added it here and at the previous post.

Beans

www.mortonhousehotel.co.uk is the web site.

Thanks for your assistance and I got so far with gedit then fell at this hurdle.

sudo cp /home/YOURUSERNAME/PathToYourFolder /usr/share/backgrounds
    I have tried every combo I can think of but cannot get this code accepted where my user name is pete, and the folder is in the home folder and called Screensaver.xml

This is the trouble with being a newbie the more advanced users take a lot for granted and miss out steps that for us beginners are complete stumbling blocks.

I once lectured for two hours and after was approached and asked a question and then realised I had omitted a point and for some the rest of my talk was a waste of time as it was a critical point which I was so used to people knowing I just carried on..... oops..

Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shenachie View Post
    www.mortonhousehotel.co.uk is the web site.

Thanks for your assistance and I got so far with gedit then fell at this hurdle.

sudo cp /home/YOURUSERNAME/PathToYourFolder /usr/share/backgrounds
    I have tried every combo I can think of but cannot get this code accepted where my user name is pete, and the folder is in the home folder and called Screensaver.xml

This is the trouble with being a newbie the more advanced users take a lot for granted and miss out steps that for us beginners are complete stumbling blocks.

I once lectured for two hours and after was approached and asked a question and then realised I had omitted a point and for some the rest of my talk was a waste of time as it was a critical point which I was so used to people knowing I just carried on..... oops..

Pete
    Hi Pete

I understand what you mean. I'm a teacher by profession and a motor mechanic by trade, I am used to getting in amd figuring things out and then just typing it up as I worked through it not thinking (sometimes) that it is all a lot of gobbledygook to most people.

Having said that we have 2 ways to go around this. IF you want to continue on that path I'll work through it with you no worries but I will need your help with screenshots of locations.

Another and more simple option which I didn't find until today, simply because I look for the native style setup and not the staring me in the face setups, is - open Fspot (Applications > Graphics > Fspot photo manager), find the pics you want to use > mark (tag) them as favourites > open Screensaver preferences (Go to System > Preferences > Screensaver) in the left hand pane find Fspot photos and click it then click Preview. If it works, which it should, you should be seeing a preview of you pics as a screensaver.

Make sure you go through that process in the "Guest" account.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12