Thread: Help Installing Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Beans

Help Installing Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Hello All,

I just downloaded Ubuntu 10.0.4 CD and burned it on a blank dvd. My computer boots successfully with the DVD to the Ubuntu Boot Menu. But I can't access any of the available boot options like Try Without installing, Install Ubuntu etc. I can scroll b/w the options but hitting Enter key doesn't seems to do anything.

Please Help.

I am using Sony Vaio VPCEB14EN/BI Laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help Installing Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

did you download the live cd version? or the alternate version? make sure you use the "live cd" version, I'm not sure but I don't think they make a "live dvd"

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just downloaded Ubuntu 10.0.4 CD and burned it on a blank dvd
    If it's a CD iso then burn it to a CD, not a DVD.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

CD vs. DVD should make no difference. I burn CD iso's to DVD regularly, depending on what I have on hand. The machine cannot tell the difference unless you have only a CD drive and not a DVD drive.

You could have errors on the disk. Did you verify the download using md5sum in a terminal? Did you burn at the slowest possible speed? Does the CD/DVD work when you boot into live mode? If not the culprit is either the downloaded file or the disk itself.

Beans

One of my friend burned dvd with the same ISO image and he was able to install using the DVD. So I don't think the ISO is corrupt. May be there is a problem with the DVD. I'll burn it on another disk n check again.

Beans

This happened to me, ended up being a dodgy image. Since I didn't have another disk to hand, I actually bought a CD from a vendor on ebay and used that.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey Guys, Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    This happened to me, ended up being a dodgy image. Since I didn't have another disk to hand, I actually bought a CD from a vendor on ebay and used that.

I was installing 10.04 on a very old Sony PCV-F31L (2003 model), and the graphics looked terrible, low resolution, and nothing was responsive with either the mouse or keyboard commands, until I burnt a CD instead of a DVD in tried that. I guess the older machines have very limited optic drives that don't work as well with the new Blank DVDs now-a-days, or a messed up image (ISO file)?

I love this fourm.

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mapes12 View Post
    If it's a CD iso then burn it to a CD, not a DVD.
    That makes no difference at all so long as you have a dvd device you can boot with.

I have not bought any cd's in 2-3 years and I only burn to DVD's for all Ubuntu install disks.

Beans

Thank you all. Burned it to a new DVD and........ I got my Ubuntu working....... Yuppie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!