Thread: Nethack!

Beans

Nethack!

I can not believe I only discovered this game a month ago.

For the last 20+ years, I have been no stranger to video games. But this ...
    I feel I've found some 'holy grail' of gaming.

It is the greatest game I have ever played !

And being a noob, (trying to remain relatively spoiler free), I know I've had but a whiff of the sheer depth of gameplay...

I am dying. Alot. And I love it!

Prior to this, I was playing 'Oblivion' again - now that game just seems like spoon-fed gloop for toddlers.

The game I just lost was my best yet - my mighty barbarian got to level 10 before getting thoroughly smited (mental note; do not get priests angry!).

I just had to share that

Is anyone else here new to the 'Dungeons of Doom'?

Can any nethack gods bestow upon us mortals some *non-spoilerish* nuggets of wisdom?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Nethack!

Welcome to the club. I've been playing for several years and have ascended a couple of times. Here's some tips:
    * If you're in a bad situation, stop and think. There's no hurry.
    * Identify scroll is much cheaper than others.
    * You can identify some wands by engraving on the floor with them.
    * You can identify some wands by zapping monsters with them.
    * Potions costing < 100 are safe to drink, but be careful if you drink booze because then you'll easily hit friendly creatures.
    * You can drop items to altars (_) to see their BUC status (blessed/uncursed/cursed).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Wink Re: Nethack!

It is THE greatest RPG ever created...and one of the toughest as well. There are spoiler files available, if you look...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    * If you're in a bad situation, stop and think. There's no hurry.
    * Identify scroll is much cheaper than others.
    * You can identify some wands by engraving on the floor with them.
    * You can identify some wands by zapping monsters with them.
    * Potions costing < 100 are safe to drink, but be careful if you drink booze because then you'll easily hit friendly creatures.
    * You can drop items to altars (_) to see their BUC status (blessed/uncursed/cursed).
    Thanks glaze - some mighty solid tips there ...

The first tip especially.
    I need to identify that it is a bad situation earlier. Death can seem swift!

Though it is the completely obvious thing to do, I haven't really been zapping many unknown wands.

Am yet to encounter booze.

Have also learnt that my pet is alot more useful than I first thought.

I said I'm relatively unspoiled; I thought I had a few 'major' discoveries somewhat worked out, and do admit to taking a quick squiz at the Wikihack entries - just to confirm

Am going to try not to though - discovering is the fun part.

My last 'discovery':

It was the first time I've had success praising my Deity!
    Trying to keep a good thing going, I soon ran out of sacrificial sentients.

With a stroke of luck, an innocuous looking creature slowly ambled onto the scene - a cockatrice.

It was the first time I'd seen one.

My crossbow made short work of it, but lets just say it never reached the altar!

I feel I've plateued a bit; I can regularly make it past the Gnomish Minetown, (and thereabouts in the Main Dungeon), but somewhere not long after, things seem to start snowballing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

A very important tip is that you can make holy water by dropping clear potions to an aligned altar and praying. Then you can dip items to it and uncurse/bless them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You should also check out Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (a nethack variant).

The design philosophy of DCSS makes it more suitable for me.

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/
    Join In - Got an idea on how to improve your Ubuntu experience?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrblade View Post
    I can not believe I only discovered this game a month ago...

Can any nethack gods bestow upon us mortals some *non-spoilerish* nuggets of wisdom?
    Oh man. I have been playing Nethack on and off for almost seven years and I have never come close to ascending (deepest dungeon level I've ever made it to was somewhere in the twenties). I also try my hardest to avoid spoilers, though. In fact, I just started playing again a couple weeks ago because I found a version for my Droid. Awesome! Now I can stupidly die wherever I go!

Here's a great page of hints with no spoilers: http://www.melankolia.net/nethack/nethack.guide.html

Also, read through the official guidebook. No spoilers and it has some great suggestions as well: http://www.nethack.org/v343/Guidebook.html

Glad you finally discovered the greatest game ever written. Now if we could just get an updated version. But it's been the better part of a decade since a new version was released, so I'm thinking the project is either dead or considered "finished" (though I would take issue with that. The interface could use some work, if nothing else).