Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upon login I need to run compiz --replace otherwise compiz doesn't start on its own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Upon login I need to run compiz --replace otherwise compiz doesn't start on its own.

Title kind of says it all. Basically everytime I log in compiz never starts and I have to do a compiz --replace. Is there a way to get compiz to start on its own?

I didn't have this problem before I reinstalled 10.04. I'd rather not just add compiz --replace to startup applications because I never had to before and I'm sure there's a more correct way of solving this.

Also, I have run Fusion Icon and Reload Window Manager has the same effect. I checked everything and it looks fine (aka compiz is set for where it needs to be set).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Upon login I need to run compiz --replace otherwise compiz doesn't start on its o

Ok, type this in a terminal window (applications->accessories->terminal):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install compiz python-compizconfig compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-bcop compiz-plugins compiz-dev compiz-gnome libdecoration0-dev compiz-core libemeraldengine0 emerald libdecoration0 compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra fusion-icon compizconfig-backend-gconf compizconfig-backend-kconfig gedit gedit-common
    Then type this
    Code:
    gedit
    That should open a new window.
    In it, type this
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    compiz --replace
    Save it as compizrun, then close the window.
    Type this in the terminal window
    Code:
    chmod +x compizrun
    sudo cp compizrun /etc/init.d/compizrun
    That should fix it.
    Last edited by lkjoel; June 20th, 2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Made a mistake, so I fixed it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Upon login I need to run compiz --replace otherwise compiz doesn't start on its o

lol that's basically doing the same thing as putting it in startup applications is it not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This might work for you:

run gconf-editor from a terminal

navigate on the left hand window to desktop - gnome - session - required_components

select required_components.

On the right hand pane, windowmanager's value should be your default window manager -typically metacity

double click windowmanager and in the value box type compiz.

Then log out and log back in again - and that should be your default.

There used to be a save sessions key somewhere, which is even easier and better...but I can't find it for some reason.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah it is sdlynx.

But I think that if you are using GNOME, you can enable desktop effects, which is compiz.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got it all working finally. All the effects, the caps the distorted cube, the animation, almost everything. I will say it's buggy as hell, reboots, lockups and even reinstalled a couple times. But on this old dell laptop (inspiron 600m) that someone gave me, that couldn't even run xp (not worth waiting for it) it's nothing short of a miracle. I do have to reset the options a lot after a restart.

It takes a lot to figure out, and you have to get used to checking dates on posts, i ended up reading a lot of stuff from 06, and i'm running 10.04. But again, it'll save you having to buy a new computer, if you're enough of a geek to tweak it.

I can't believe the effects on what must be a tiny little graphics card!

FattyZ
    Last edited by fattyz; June 25th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

BTW, compiz --replace in autostart is needed to run FSAA with NVIDIA also,so you can live with this "bug".
    No more steps on the cube!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another tip, if I try to enable max effects while compiz is working (if I go to the menu system/preferences/appearance/visual effects) and check anything, it blows compiz out and I have to cold boot and reset a bunch of stuff like rotate cube and my cairo dock w/openGL (different app) vanishes.

So even though most tutorials tell you to set it to max, if you get compiz working and nothing is checked in the menu, leave it like that.

FattyZ

Beans
    Distro

Do you want to mark it as solved?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast