Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.4 Installation on SATA 6Gb/s

Beans

Ubuntu 10.4 Installation on SATA 6Gb/s

Hey guys,

Long time user of Ubuntu, but i've never had this problem.

I just recently installed Ubuntu on my SSD partitioned with Win7. Everything worked fine.

I decided to move my SSD from the SATA 3Gb/s port to the 6Gb/s port on my motherboard for better performance. Grub 2 is still recognized and Win7 boots properly.

However Ubuntu will not boot after selecting it from Grub. I also tried to reinstall over the ext4 partition on my SSD with a live CD and it does not recognize my SSD, only my data drive.

I am lost. Is Ubuntu 10.4 not compatible with SATA 6Gb/s or am i just missing something?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu 10.4 Installation on SATA 6Gb/s

Is your ssd rated sata II or sata III?
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans

It is rated for SATA II. However, i know that plugging it into SATA III would not hurt anything. Grub 2 and Win7 still work...

I originally changed ports in the first place to avoid this annoying "HD not found" message from by bios because it always checked the SATA III ports before the SATA II.

I thought that SATA was all backwards compatible.

Beans
    Distro

The point is that you are gaining nothing else than avoiding the annoying message by plugging a sata II drive into a sata III port. SATA is backwards compatible in theory, but you may be encountering an unpredictable problem with timing or something. I would change the seek order in bios, if you can, to boot 1st from the slower port.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am having the exact same problem as babydanks. The only difference is that my harddrive is actually a SATA III drive and I am still having problems. Windows XP x64 works perfectly, but Ubuntu requires me to plug my drive into a SATA II port on my motherboard. It is somewhat upsetting. I would appreciate any feedback and please explain most of your instructions as I am relatively new to linux. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Just a thought. Try editing in 'rootdelay=90' to the grub menu boot line. If it is helpful you can make it permanent in /etc/default/grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

please explain how this is done

Beans

i believe you press "e" on the grub menu and edit the kernel line to say 'rootdelay=90' is that correct? i tried it. i still get the busy box saying that /dev/disk/by-uuid/# does not exist. and it gave up waiting on the device. same thing happened with 'rootdelay=1000'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It did not work for me either. I got that busybox as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Had this problem also with 64bit 10.04, msi p55gd85 i7 870 and 6 g SATA hdd.

If anyone got it to work in their installation, post.

Related post: http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho....php?t=1572830
    Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    You have to understand that the interface speed that is given (UDMA100, SATA 3 GB/s, SATA 6 GB/s) is just that, the maximum speed the interface can transmit. The harsh truth is that in hard drives the bottle necks lie in the mechanics rather than the interface: you can't find a drive that can actually reach the maximum speed of the interface. SATA 6 GB/s is futureproof I guess, but at this point mostly just marketing. Two drives differing only in the interface will have equal performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast