Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI (fglrx) possible video tearing solution

Beans

ATI (fglrx) possible video tearing solution

Issue:
    fglrx video tearing, need I say more?

My relevant specs (UPDATED):
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP
    Flatscreen TV (connected via DVI to HDMI)
    Resolution: 1280x720@50hz
    Distro: Linux Mint 9 x86 (I know, I know)
    fglrx: 10.6 (Catalyst Version)
    X.Org: 1.7.6

Settings:
    Compiz: off
    fglrx: Vertical Refresh Always On (like this)
    Video player: Gnome Mplayer (Video Output: "gl")

Result (UPDATED):
    My video playback seems flawless. The flickering is more or less gone with the 10.6 driver, the 2D preformance is also much better. I'm also actually able to play 720p h 264 video (note the cpu, Athlon 3000+) with a 70-80% cpu load. Some stuttering when maximizing and such, and once in a while regardless of what is playing, but smooth video otherwise.

I also did some testing with similar specs, but an ATI HD 4870x2. Using Mplayer and x11 video output and Compiz On if I remember correctly. Also had dual screens.Was also able to play games.

Hope this can help someone. If you uninstall Totem in Linux Mint, Gnome Mplayer will become the default video player. Its installed by default in Linux Mint, but is also in the repos for Ubuntu.

Can anybody confirm?

Catalyst 10.6 Driver Installation:
    Notice that this was done on Linux Mint, but this shouldn't matter for Ubuntu users.
    I also had the fglrx driver already installed via the Restricted Driver utility.
    I did this on another computer, but without a previous fglrx installed, and it didn't activate, aticonfig was missing++?!?!

1. Download the Linux driver from www.ati.com
    2. Open terminal and "cd" into the Download folder.
    cd Download
    3. Create the proper packages for Ubuntu 10.04 ("--listpkg" gives you the list)
    sudo sh ati-driver-installer-10-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/lucid
    4. Install the deb's created (assuming no other deb packages are in the folder)
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. You can check for Catalyst version in the Catalyst Control Panel to verify

PS!
    I've been playing different videos, and so far so good. There isn't GPU acceleration, so the Athlon 3000+ doesn't cope entirely with 720p video, but the computer does in Windows with Mediaplayer Classic and ATI gpu accel, so one can only hope. Other than that, it works well if you don't need compiz and can ignore the screen flashing every now and then when starting mplayer.

PPS!
    I've now tried some more combinations on my 3850 card, and it doesn't like when compiz is on, and x11 or xv.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by urbanus; June 19th, 2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: updates

Beans

Re: ATI (fglrx) possible video tearing solution

i have always had issues with playing video and running compiz at the same time.. especially flash.. i mean, its ok at this point, but its never up to par, IMO..

Beans

Flash is even an issue on Windows which is a prioritized platform. I haven't tested an Nvidia card with the new 10.1 release for Linux yet. Let's pray for some GPU Accel on the Linux platform and compatibility with Flash and video players.

I should add that the open source ATI driver works well for desktop use, but Open Arena made my ATI HD 4870x2 with 2 GPU's and 2 GIG Ram kneel and shut down. So not quite there yet????

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: ATI (fglrx) possible video tearing solution

Unfortunately this did not work for my Radeon 3450 HD and I have yet to find a solution for the tearing. The open source drivers seem to work fine, but there is a lack of performance. However, they do not tear video and OpenGL.

Some methods, aside from the ones posted on this thread, that I have implemented are: aticonfig [ --sync-video=on --vs=on and even --overlay-type=opengl ] none of which worked on any visual level. Also, on my machine it does not seem to matter if compiz is running or not; the tearing continues.

Due to the problems related to ATI video, my next box will not have AMD or ATI. Stick to what works and stay away from disappointment.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    Last edited by SpEcIeS; July 3rd, 2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: AMD/ATI Linux Phoronix Forums
    SpEcIeS

Keep consuming technology faster.. I am living off of your feces.

Beans

Let's hope the future brings better drivers!

I can add that the new 10.7 drivers works with my ATI HD 4870x2 without tearing when using mplayer and opengl output. I haven't changed any Ati settings, using default ones.

Beans

I get no video tear with default drivers that ubuntu installs even with compiz enabled. But when fglrx driver is installed and compiz is enabled, there is a remarkable amount of tear apparent even when a window is minimized or restored.Disabling compiz seemed to have solved this problem, but disabling compiz is not an option for me.I have looked in many forums for a solution but none of them work. Is there a workaround for this problem?
    I currently use a Sony VAIO E series laptop with ATI Radeon 5145 graphic card.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: ATI (fglrx) possible video tearing solution

Quote Originally Posted by deepakdtg View Post
    I get no video tear with default drivers that ubuntu installs even with compiz enabled. But when fglrx driver is installed and compiz is enabled, there is a remarkable amount of tear apparent even when a window is minimized or restored.Disabling compiz seemed to have solved this problem, but disabling compiz is not an option for me.I have looked in many forums for a solution but none of them work. Is there a workaround for this problem?
    I currently use a Sony VAIO E series laptop with ATI Radeon 5145 graphic card.
    Unfortunately there is no current work around for this issue. I am currently using an Radeon 3450 HD card and there is no fix yet for the tearing while using the fglrx drivers, however you could use the open source radeon drivers which have absolutely no tearing. These drivers do not allow for great fps, but if you are more interesting ridding yourself of tearing then this is the way to go. Radeonhd open source drivers also tear from my readings on the net too.

I have had success in clearing the tearing in opengl games using fglrx, but not for video. You could even try MPlayer using opengl which eliminates tearing, but there tends to be transition problems going from fullscreen and back to window mode.

Also, for the Radeon 5000 series there are rumors that using the 2.6.35 kernel reduces tearing, or even eliminates it. The only real way to find this out is to give it a go.

Good luck
    SpEcIeS

Beans

I'm actually using the open source drivers myself now. I've added repositories for the latest kernel and open source radeon drivers.

Some native linux games work fine (eduke32, warsow etc), but they should considering I have an HD 4870x2 card. Also the vented air is much hotter than usual. But apart from that it work fine, I'm also running dual screen with the right monitor as the primary one.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: ATI (fglrx) possible video tearing solution

Quote Originally Posted by urbanus View Post
    I'm actually using the open source drivers myself now. I've added repositories for the latest kernel and open source radeon drivers.

Some native linux games work fine (eduke32, warsow etc), but they should considering I have an HD 4870x2 card. Also the vented air is much hotter than usual. But apart from that it work fine, I'm also running dual screen with the right monitor as the primary one.
    Out of curiosity, what frame rates are you getting on your games?
    SpEcIeS

Beans

goddamn genius.

I can finally do more of this

And less of this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast