Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with getting Ubuntu on my iMac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Please help me with getting Ubuntu on my iMac

My Hardware:
    iMac G5 20", 2.0 GHz PPC G5 single processor, 2 GB DDR SDRAM, ATI Radeon 9600 AGP with 128 MB VRAM, 250 GB Maxtor Harddisk, PIONEER DVD-RW Superdrive.

I figured out partitioning the hard drive with 30 GB of ext3 space at the end of my disk. Then I started a Ubuntu 6.~ Live DVD and managed booting from it.

Booting is a major problem itself with several Ubuntu CDs I have, from Ubuntu 6.~ to 10.04 nightly built for PPC I have several CDs to try. Few of them are running at all and most of them only if the iMac had some time completely off power before. Sometimes it gets til "type what you want to do", sometimes it gets til Installer, sometimes it gets to Live, but mostly it hangs somewhere between.

When I got to that point I can install, wheter live or not, it hangs either on partitioning tool (Ubuntu 8+9+10 versions) or it might get until the partitioning tool (6.~) but then... it refuses the partition I want them to give and says something about "root system failed, please select with partitioning tool", even when I try the automatic mode with "use biggest free space" and so on. With manual partitioning I don't get it what to do.

I really would like to use Ubuntu, 10.04 for the best, additionally to MacOS X on this iMac but it's really tough work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Please help me with getting Ubuntu on my iMac

For the partitioning, google a tool called iPartition. I believe they have a free version, and it really is the best tool out there. There might even be a partitioning tool on your MacOS install disks, depending on the version. Partition the disk using that disk, and then try the Ubuntu install.

As for the weird boot issues, I've never run iuto that issue, but it seems like there is some hardware issue that is preventing correct operation. I believe the Ubuntu LiveCD has boot-time options for turning off lots of extras. Try messing with those?
    "Using Ubuntu is like gaining a +7 to your geek skill check roles."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

strange you are having problems with several cd's.
    Did you check the md5 checksum of the images?
    Sorry I can't advise how to do that on OSX, burnt my iso's on a ubuntu pc
    Did you burn them at the slowest speed?

I did have trouble with live CDs on my old G3 as the video settings in the live system are not compatible with my monitor, it goes out of range, the system seemed to hang, but really it just took a long time to load. I left it running and went for a long walk, when I came back there was a live ubuntu desktop waiting for me.
    Last edited by psy-man; June 19th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you!

I managed partitioning with MacOS X Install DVD and then converted the 30 GB Disk into ext3 for Linux. But after that, sadly, I wasn't able to say Ubuntu to select that free disk and use it for repartitioning and whatever it likes.

OK I can try to burn another CD with slower speed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

checking md5sums and that on macOSX at the bottom https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

The partitioner in ubuntu will probably not like the Mac formated ext3 partition and want to re format it.
    Best use the Mac partioner to resize the MacOS partition and leave the rest of the disk as unused space then the ubuntu partitioner will see this as available for use. Either way make sure you check the integrity of your Ubuntu DVD/CD.

Also I might add that I have had a much more rewarding experience with install CDs rather than live CDs. Even though the gui is basic, as long as you read and understand the options and are prepared to have a couple of goes to get it right. The Debian Lenny PPC install CD1 works like a charm for me.

I had a great deal of trouble persuading my G3 to boot from a non Mac CD. Holding down the c key, resetting the pram (Command+Option+P+R) all to no effect. In my case the only thing that worked was removing OS9 by plugging in a different hard drive. Now I know that this is not an easy thing to do with an imac. So before continuing..
    Ask yourself the following
    Can you afford to mess up your existing Mac OS? If No stop now.
    Have you backed up any vital data to external media ? If No, do it now!
    Can you reinstall Mac OS if it gets messed up or if you don't like Ubuntu? If No, stop now

(I have Mac OSX running on a G3 imac, It looks very much like a unix system. More Refined and slick than Ubuntu. It runs smoothly on the machine dispite the relatively slow 333mHz cpu. The only thing it doesn't do well is play flash media, "slide show utube" now as far as I know (which isn't much) the flash media problem is an issue of architecture which running Ubuntu or Debian or any other linux OS is not going to solve.)

So if you have OSX why try and add Ubuntu?

OSX is fool proof but you pay a price.

Linux is powerful but can be daunting and dangerous. Ubuntu and Debian is Linux made easy, but neither are fool proof.

If it is a matter of being able to use the excellent and free software in the Ubuntu/Debian repository, and benefit from the support of the forum communities.
    If you understand the consequences of your actions, Why not take the leap and dump Mac OS.
    Last edited by psy-man; June 19th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yay, I did it well!

Finally Ubuntu 10.04 PPC is on my PC iMac G5! The only problem was to find a CD that was good enough for my iMac to fiddle Data out of it on my iMac! All other CDs I've burned seem to be stinkers.

Now I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 effortlessly on my iMac. The only problems:

1) Wireless Network won't work.
    2) Desktop effects aren't running better than "standard".

While having no WLAN on Ubuntu the driver update might be a hassle?

Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

what kind of wireless card do you have ?
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by linuxopjemac View Post
    what kind of wireless card do you have ?
    AirPort Extreme, Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

can you do the following:
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans