Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Possible to run wubi while Windows Vista trial period has expired?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Possible to run wubi while Windows Vista trial period has expired?

Is the installer running yet? If not close it, then open a terminal and try typing this command in

Code:
    sudo umount -l -r -f /cdrom
    Then press enter, and then try the installer again.
    Happily running 13.04! "It's only an apt-get away!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Ferto View Post
    I had to re-install Windows Vista, but I lost my registration code. I've got 11 days left to register. If I install wubi next to Vista, will it be possible for me to boot it when the 11 days have passed? Is there a better alternative for installing Ubuntu that can be done in 11 days by a novice?
    Yes it is because you choose which you enter from Grub which comes up in advance of any windows startup. So you are safe with that.

The annoying thing is that you can get your data out of a wubi (fake partition) section _only_ by booting up from that drive. Be warned. You cannot copy the drive and find your wubi info later.

More Caveat: Remember on any drive, Windows insists on reformatting the entire drive when it installs. So if you ever want Windows on a driev that comes first. Then you can repartion, install anything/s, then fix Grub/2 if needed to give access to both partitions as boot.

Remember please: Think from clarity, not wishes. It is what it is.

Best of Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ferto View Post
    I don't have a cd. I just install it via Windows. Also, my cd drive is broken. :\ I think. Or I just can't use it because Windows is not registered or something, but Windows doesn't even connect to it.
    If your CD drive is not working in Windows it may be due to a broken driver. My CD drive stopped working last summer this way, but it worked fine to boot from a CD from BIOS and it worked fine on Linux.

Scott
    "I use a Unix based OS, therefore I get laid about as often as I reboot."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345