Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Beans

Talking Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCVenom View Post
    Glad you like it here!
    Please don't say 'Windoze'

Usually you need one Windows computer for those special tasks, so It's okay if you still use it a bit
    Many of us hope so.
    They usually will. If you see something not getting fixed, report it. If still nothing is happening, code it yourself or see if you can prod someone into coding a patch for the bug or issue. That's the beauty of open source.
    Because major companies use Linux because it's sooo unstable.
    Ubuntu != Linux. Also, you really shouldn't try speak for everyone's experience, it's irritating. On that same coin I could say that Windows is so slow as to be unusable, when in reality it's just my old laptop running Vista.
    It's been pointed out that the devs rarely, if at all come here. I don't know why, but they don't.
    Reminds me of this XKCD comic: http://xkcd.com/306/
    I'm glad you acknowledge this.
    People who don't have the issues you're having tend to post about them less, so that's not entirely accurate.
    It would be rude and improper for someone to.
    'I may have these bugs, and I may complain about them, but I'm not going to see if 10.10 fixes them. Then I might actually not be able to complain about anything.'
    'Let's focus all the dev efforts on making Lucid Lynx Debian Stable, so when the next LTS comes around all those new features will be poorly or half-implemented and I can complain once again that Ubuntu is unstable.'
    Once again... The devs don't hang out here...
    Wait what? Are you mad?!
    What issues have you had? Have you reported them?
    And Ubuntu will lag behind Windows, Mac, and other Desktop oriented Linux distros.
    And Ubuntu will become Debian
    AND UBUNTU WILL BECOME DEBIAN
    DEBIAN
    We're working on it. Please help us by reporting some bugs and maybe contributing a patch.
    Also, have you considered Debian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    yeah baby;]
    Ha ha haaaa...

Hare Krishna
    And pray for me too...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckylucky View Post
    I love ubuntu and have used it exclusively for years now. I've long since dropped windoze and don't even have it installed on most computers, just ubuntu.

I think it's ok if you need to keep windows installed on your computer along with Ubuntu, if you feel there are some applications that you just can't live without.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, however with a little research I've been able to find open source alternatives for all of my important applications that I used to run with windows.

Numerous people have their systems setup for a dual boot configuration, which is a good solution in my opinion, for those times when you need to run a windows application.

Wine also works pretty well for running windows applications with Linux.

It's your computer, and only you can decide what works best for your specific situation.

I've held the vision of it being a serious desktop for worldwide use, and believed that the previous bugs would work themselves out over time.
    In order for a bug to get fixed, it needs to be reported, researched, documented, and then if possible the bug needs to have the appropriate code written to fix it.
    Bugs do not just fix themselves, nor do bugs just work themselves out.

Also I bought into the *myth* that linux is stable...
    Let's deal with reality here ok? What specifically do you find unstable with Linux?

a crappy myth because as far as I & MANY OTHERS are concerned, and as painful as it is for me to admit it, windoze even with its' many issues is far more stable and superior to ubuntu.
    Generalized comments such as that will simply start arguments on both sides of the fence so to speak, however, if you are going to make those kinds of claims then you need to provide specific and factual information to back up your claim.

For heaven's sake PLEASE STOP DEVELOPMENT ON NEW FEATURES AND JUST FOCUS ON FIXING THE MANY EXISTING PROBLEMS!!!
    It appears to me that you have a misconception of how Linux is developed what a distribution is.

Linux is the kernel, which is the core of the all Linux distributions.
    The Linux kernel is available from http://kernel.org

A person, or group of people then take that kernel and package it up with additional software packages (grub, open office, gimp, etc...) and this becomes a distribution.

Linux is the kernel.
    Some examples of a distribution would be Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, and Fedora.
    There are numerous distributions of Linux.

A distribution is a collection of numerous applications, which are by numerous different developers from all over the world that work mostly independently from each other.

If there is a problem with a specific application then you would need to contact the developer of the specific application and address your concerns with them.
    Or if the distribution provides an official method of bug reporting to them, then you should use that as well.

I used to like the idea of ubuntu trying new avantguard ideas in the distros, but now I am sick and tired of them, since they suck up the attention of the developers and thus the bugs that need attention never see the light of day.

Canonical http://www.canonical.com/ is the organization which is in charge of the Ubuntu distribution.
    As such, they have something like 300 which work to create the distribution.
    Bugs which are security related get the highest priority in regard to getting the attention of developers.
    And of course bugs which have a direct impact on the greatest number of users also get the attention of developers.
    And as always the source code is freely available for all of the open source software which comprises the distribution, so you are also free to work on fixing bugs and contributing those bug fixes back the community as well.

However, since your statement was pretty general and provided no real useful information, perhaps you could provide a few examples of serious bugs which impact the Ubuntu distribution which you have personally reported to the appropriate developer in order to get it fixed. And what steps you took to possibly help resolve those bugs.

Bugs don't fix themselves. They have to be reported to the appropriate developer and someone has to put forth an effort to track down the problem, verify the problem, document it, and then write the appropriate code to fix the bug in question. For the bugs you have discovered, did you report it to the appropriate developer and then provide them with any information they might requested from you? Logs, documentation of the problem, screenshots, etc...

Yes, these are my own opinions, however I have seen MANY MANY MANY posts of many other people voicing the same opinions.

I have seen MANY MANY MANY posts which talk about this fellow named Santa Claus who has magic powers, flies around the world on a sleigh being pulled by flying reindeer, and delivers presents to all the children of the world on christmas eve. But just because I have read those posts, doesn't mean that Santa Claus actually exists and can do all those things.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But it doesn't always mean those opinions are correct.

So please don't blast me for speaking up here - I am just one voice of many.
    I can assure you that I couldn't care less about 10.10 release with all the new features promised, like idea-icons (or whatever they're called). I actually have zero intention of downloading 10.10.

What I WANT is to see heavy focus on 10.04.X. 10.04 is a nice looking feature rich distro, and for now we really don't need anything more... just STABILITY!!!

Ubuntu 10.04 is the current LTS release for the Ubuntu distribution.
    LTS is an abbreviation for “Long Term Support”.

You can read about LTS versions on the following page.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

LTS versions focus on providing security and stability, rather than focusing on the newest features.

Developers, please please please please please forget about new ideas and new features... PLEASE FOCUS exclusively upon fixing existing problems and making things stable.
    LTS versions of Ubuntu focus on exactly that. Stability and Security.

!!! FREEZE NEW DEVELOPMENT !!!
    You don't honestly believe that is a realistic expectation do you?

I've been pushing ubuntu on all my friends for years, and have expected to make 10.04 the release that I would use to convert all my friends. Damn this release!!! I am so unhappy with it, experiencing daily frustrations with it myself,

You've failed to actually provide any specific information about what problems you are having.
    If you are so unhappy with it, then try something else, or use an older version of it that works for you.
    No one is forcing you to run any specific distribution are they?
    If you're serious about it, perhaps you should start your own distribution.
    You can build it to work exactly how YOU would like it, and then you can focus on whatever you want to focus on.

and the few times that I've tried to show my friends how "awesome ubuntu is" I've been left embarrassed, making lame excuses for ubuntu.

That's contradictory to what you just said.
    First it was "I've been pushing ubuntu on all my friends for years," and now it's "and the few times that I've tried to show my friends".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contradictory
    contradictory
    "a proposition so related to another that if either of the two is true the other is false and if either is false the other must be true"

****, I am so pisesd that this distro which ought to have been the flagship distro to introduce the world to linux is so damn embarrassing.
    At no time in your original post have you bother to actually provide any supporting and factual evidence.

1 - FORGET DEVELOPING NEW FEATURES
    2 - FOCUS ON STABILITY
    3 - FORGET ABOUT 10.10
    4 - FOCUS ON STABIITY
    5 - FREEZE NEW IDEAS
    6 - FOCUS ON STABILITY
    7 - JUST FIX EXISTING ISSUES

LTS versions of Ubuntu focus on security and stability not on new features.
    In the future if you have a bug, you should generate a bug report with supporting evidence and submit it to the appropriate developer.
    Bugs don't just magically fix themselves.

- zipperback
    Last edited by howefield; March 12th, 2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: remove font properties

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

If you really want to contact them, then perhaps you should try doing it through one of their official methods and not through a random post on the ubuntuforums.

Here is the page with the official methods of contact for Ubuntu.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/contact-us

And here is the page with the contact information for canonical.
    http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact

- zipperback
    opcorn

Hey Canonical...

Think of Ford's motto "quality is job one".

Please (temporarily) adopt the mission of focusing on fixes & stability & forget about innovation.

Mr. Shuttleworth, you are a blessing to the world, with all you have done with Ubuntu. However please put your visionary ideas on hold until developers have the chance to catch up with finishing the projects that have already been started... meaning that until it WORKS the project isn't done. If it ain't stable it ain't done.

Ubuntu's new motto "Stability is job one"
    ((("innovation is job two")))
    Last edited by howefield; March 12th, 2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: remove font formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Debian!
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345