Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most all modern processors are i686 so Meerkat excluding <686 won't matter much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Most all modern processors are i686 so Meerkat excluding <686 won't matter much

Merged two threads on essentially the same subject.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Why you don't need to worry about Ubuntu moving to i686

Quote Originally Posted by -grubby View Post
    EDIT: Apparently the Geode LX800 is only i586.
    I even have an i486!

http://www.amd.com/epd/processors/4....m/24.lansc520/

(Yes, despite its name, the AMD 5x86 series of CPUs is actually 486.)
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Most all modern processors are i686 so Meerkat excluding <686 won't matter much

I believe Arch is aimed at i686, so looking at how Arch users get on would potentially be a good measure of whether the switch would be a problem.

My 5 year old Toshiba laptop ran Arch absolutely fine. It struggled with the default Ubuntu install for quite some time due to the amount of memory it needed, regardless of the Arch. (When I say struggled: I mean it wasnt the fastest. By many peoples standards it probably would have been fine... but there you go)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Code:
    firas@elise:~$ cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS \n \l

firas@elise:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : Geode by NSC
    cpu family      : 5
    model           : 9
    model name      : Unknown
    stepping        : 1
    cpu MHz         : 233.299
    fdiv_bug        : no
    hlt_bug         : no
    f00f_bug        : no
    coma_bug        : no
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 2
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx
    bogomips        : 466.59
    clflush size    : 32
    Oh, well... Elise will lose her "Powered by Ubuntu" sticker.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Slackware, here I come!
    Last edited by sidzen; November 25th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Quote Originally Posted by NUboon2Age View Post
    When I saw this article I was worried that I wouldn't be able to help my friends w/ older <686 machines run Ubuntu. ...
    I was only the least bit concerned when I read that. Anyone who has an original 586 machine, meaning one from 10 years ago, probably doesn't really consider Ubuntu to be a strong solution for using it.

There are other, better ultralight operating systems for hardware of that age. Ubuntu isn't the best thing for everybody or everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by squilookle View Post
    I believe Arch is aimed at i686, so looking at how Arch users get on would potentially be a good measure of whether the switch would be a problem. ...
    On the other hand, there is an Arch project for i586s, which gets some attention. So it may be that ferocious 586-fans take their own approach to the Ubuntu machine.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, as lont as my PIIIs (servers) and up (P4, Centrino, etc.) are supported I won't notice a difference.

Now if they also fix the Intel 855 GPU issue, then I'll be ecstatic! (the patch is good, but not perfect)
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Fine with me. My only i586 PC is a Laptop from 1999 running Debian, barely. Ubuntu would be an awful idea on that old thing, probably wouldn't even fit on the HD. And the CD drive is busted (and I don't think I can boot from USB lol), so I wouldn't be able to install it anyway. I do wish Arch would work though (I know about Arch spinoffs for i586, but it's not worth the trouble, especially without a CD drive. And I got a new laptop too )
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Re: Why you don't need to worry about Ubuntu moving to i686

Major distributions can support different versions of x86 as separate platforms like they support different versions of ARM as separate platforms. There is no need to lump the i686 people into the i386 group or eliminate the i386 group for the sake of the i686 group.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I was only the least bit concerned when I read that. Anyone who has an original 586 machine, meaning one from 10 years ago, probably doesn't really consider Ubuntu to be a strong solution for using it.
    1) As said previously, i586 processors are still produced today for embedded devices.

2) Ubuntu is just as good for this as any other distro. I think it's a shame, I like Ubuntu, the machine works perfectly with it, but I'm going to have to switch it eventually. I wonder what benefit they indend to gain from that... i686 "optimizations"? Come on now, the handful of applications that would really benefit from that are those doing some heavy computations, no one probably uses 32-bit machines anymore for that.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; June 16th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast